Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl   You got a good memory Mousie.  That was RP back in 2015.

RP 2015 (400x300).jpg

RP was what I call one of my bed and breakfast friends.  The bird wasn't in bad enough shape to qualify as a rehab.  It just needed to be cleaned up and have a few days to eat, rest and hydrate.

Yea, RP was one of those hand of God cases too.  Pigeons liked to roost in the multi-level parking garage near work where I parked my car.  The garage owners decided to get rid of the pigeons.  They did it with a sticky clear substance that was spiked with white pepper.

I was getting ready to leave work at my usual 6 pm and ended up having a conversation with one of my clients/co-workers about some contractual health insurance benefit changes she requested on behalf of the State of Michigan account.  We met at my desk and she said Bernie wait for me and give me a few minutes and I will walk out with you.  This delayed my departure about 10 minutes.  

Tina was parked on the 5th floor of the garage and I was on the roof.  We continued to talk about what the State wanted and I got off the elevator on the 5th floor to finish the conversation.  Instead of getting back on the elevator to head to the roof of the garage, I decided to take the stairs. 

That's when I found RP cowering in a corner on the landing.  It has been bullied by pigeons and covered in the pigeon repellant. 

I think RP was young; its feathers were glued to it's body and its mouth was sealed shut from trying to preen off that gunk.  I lost my mind, raced the rest of the way up the stairs to get to my car (my hands were full).  I drove down 2 ramps and scooped RP off the landing.

This was on a Thursday and I had Friday off.  See how this all works out?

A bath didn't get that mess off RP.  I learned vegetable oil will get anything sticky off of anything so I ran out and bought a bottle of liquid Crisco or Mazola.  Once I got that mess off of RP, the bird ate and drank and slept like a rock.

I kept RP from Thursday night to early Sunday morning.  RP was released with my existing flock in the backyard.

@Bird mama 

Bernie,   I thought of your garage pigeon yesterday, but couldn't remember the birds name or if you kept it.   Thanks for reposting the story of RP.   He's blessed that you found him and yes,  it was the Hand of God that led you to him.     Didn't realize it was that long ago.   

Honored Contributor

With My Cats wall art image 1

Trusted Contributor

I love this picture, Possum.   Every once in a while a cardinal lands in my dogwood tree right beside the sunroom.  He looks at me straight on and then flies away for a few weeks.  I always think of it as Merle checking on me.  Such a beautiful bird.  

Trusted Contributor

Happy Birthday, Presto.  a little late. 

Respected Contributor

@Epicurean 

I started to have back problems that showed up when I was a junior in high school. I was putting my pajama bottoms on and snap. that was the beginning of my back issues. I also have ddd. Now since I am not a candidate for back surgery as my spine is not stable. I am waiting for the endocronologist's report in what to do with this osteopania, which I believe I am about 1 step from osteoporosis. The neurosurgeon wanted to do the deep fusion, but my bones are in poor shape. There are several fractures near where the fusions would need to be done. I am going to avoid that like the plague. Now dealing with the torn hamstring is another battle I wasn't counting to have to deal with. Thank God for my walker is all I can say.

Honored Contributor

Re: June 2022 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@Leeny wrote:

@Epicurean 

I started to have back problems that showed up when I was a junior in high school. I was putting my pajama bottoms on and snap. that was the beginning of my back issues. I also have ddd. Now since I am not a candidate for back surgery as my spine is not stable. I am waiting for the endocronologist's report in what to do with this osteopania, which I believe I am about 1 step from osteoporosis. The neurosurgeon wanted to do the deep fusion, but my bones are in poor shape. There are several fractures near where the fusions would need to be done. I am going to avoid that like the plague. Now dealing with the torn hamstring is another battle I wasn't counting to have to deal with. Thank God for my walker is all I can say.

@Leeny   I am using a cane today, relieves some of the pain.  At one point, I thought I would never use it, bought it decades ago thinking I would use if after hip replacement from a childhood injury, didn't think of crutches though I should have as I was on them for one year as a child, after the accident that ruined my hip.  Good thing I didn't toss the cane. Smiley Happy

You have been dealing with such pain for so long, so sorry about that, really awful when a back goes out.

The other day in the garden, I bent over a zillion times to pick up pots of old dirt, dump them, then carry them to the wheelbarrow for DH to take care of on Sunday, surprised it didn't go out then.  I think I had to bend so low to cut nails and stay in the position for a time, is what did it.

Honored Contributor

Presto says thank you Betty @yock 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   I've done some crazy things as far as lifting and pushing in my lifetime and 9 times out of 10 that I throw my back out it's been from getting up out of bed or getting up off the couch the wrong way.  Thinking about everyone's back issues this morning as I walked to the bottom of the drive to get the sales papers (in a plastic bag), I thought I should pluck a couple of these little clover, etc trying to grow up from between the cracks in the sidewalk.  I almost bent over - I squatted instead and then sat on my fanny.  It was early and I didn't care if neighbors saw me - I more or less scooted. 

Last time I threw my back out it took almost 2 weeks to get back together.  I don't wanna do THAT again. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl   I've done some crazy things as far as lifting and pushing in my lifetime and 9 times out of 10 that I throw my back out it's been from getting up out of bed or getting up off the couch the wrong way.  Thinking about everyone's back issues this morning as I walked to the bottom of the drive to get the sales papers (in a plastic bag), I thought I should pluck a couple of these little clover, etc trying to grow up from between the cracks in the sidewalk.  I almost bent over - I squatted instead and then sat on my fanny.  It was early and I didn't care if neighbors saw me - I more or less scooted. 

Last time I threw my back out it took almost 2 weeks to get back together.  I don't wanna do THAT again. 

@Bird mama   So glad you fell on your keester and weren't hurt, I have done that, once in a hole, lol, and thankfully, DH was outside or he never would have heard my yelling, so he was able to pull me up.  Getting up is a big worry for me due to the bad knee, helpless there.

Speaking of scooting, I fell in the hall by slipping on a mat, got myself into a sitting position, but that was as far as I could go as I can't kneel on my right knee, so I howled for DH who was downstairs.  I told him to get a bath mat, I sat on that, and in that position told him to push me to the bedroom, I using my feet to help, got me to the end of the bed and with a push over the bed from him, I was able to get on my feet.  It's funny thinking of it now.

This last fall, there happened to be a tall soup pot with lid at the end of the island where I fell, between it and the sink, so I got onto my left foot and used the pot with my left hand grabbing what little there was to grab of the island and was able to get up.

DH fell onto a daylily breaking off two branches with lots of buds, he just sat down on it, and then again on an azalea plant breaking off branches, the same day.  It then dawned on me why he can't get through paths I have no trouble getting through and it is because his feet turn way out, like a dancer's, whereas mine are straight.  I told him to turn his feet in, fat change, LOL.

Honored Contributor

hey all

not much today

did normal chores

did morn walk

showery weather has left for now threat is still there.

not much else.