Respected Contributor

@Bird mama @viva923 

Weather here yesterday was lousy. Cloudy, rained all day and the temps got up to 62. I hope today is better.

Honored Contributor

hey all

not much today

delightful today windows  open,fans in windows,

hung out 2 loads of clothes

not much else,later guys

Honored Contributor

On the one hand I wasn't thrilled to see gray skies this morning when I woke up.  On the other hand I was glad it wasn't actually raining and I was able to clear the first floor gutters.  There were lots of pods and catkins on the roofs earlier in the week and I expected the breezy weather we had later on Friday and yesterday to blow stuff into the gutters.  

I wouldn't mind some rain because I have a few robins working overtime in the backyard looking for food to feed their kids.  I also have a few starlings that are trying to keep up with their kids who just run behind them, mouths open more or less screaching.  It's funny.

I did the grocery shopping early this morning and of course when I got home I had an interesting wildlife experience.  I was putting my items away and glancing out of the kitchen window as I moved around the kitchen when I saw a green parakeet on the patio.  Yes, you read that right - the kind of parakeets that people keep as pets.

It was eating seed on the patio and following sparrows around.  I can tell you alot about juvenile wild birds and I know nothing about juvenile domesticated birds sold as pets.  I stepped on the patio and the bird flew through the yard to the mulberry tree.  Watch birds long enough and you can tell who is just learning to fly and who has been at it a while.  This one flew in a straight line but it was almost in slow motion.  I spoke sparrow to it Woman Very Happy and then whistled because I know a parakeets language.  Most wild birds will fly away from me when I get too close because that's how it supposed to be.  This parakeet was too high for me to grab it and it just watched me as I tried to communicate with it.  

I didn't want to scare it more than it probably already was at that time so I said, food and water will always be here for you little one, just watch the sparrows and follow their lead.  I came inside the house, finished putting my things away and it eventually flew off.

There was a time when it was uncommon to see a banded pigeon break free and come over to eat.  In the last couple of years I see at least one parakeet per summer.  Mostly green but I have seen a yellow one.  I worry about them much like I worry about a primarily white pigeon - they stand out from the rest of the general population of birds and that makes them a target.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

I do have a couple of questions for you regarding Osteopenia. How do they treat you for this? Also how does the thyroid affect this? I just received a note from the neurosurgeon and she said it would take about 1-2 weeks before I get the report from the endocrinologists.  Thanks for any information you have. I know you are so knowledgeable about health issues.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Leeny   Osteopenia is low bone density which can make your bones weaker.  It's often looked at as preo-osteoporosis.  Here's some good information from Cleveland Clinic: .

What causes osteopenia?

Bones are made of living tissue. Up until about age 30, a healthy person builds more bone than he or she loses. But after age 35, bones begin to break down faster than they build up. Even in a healthy person, bone density decreases throughout life, by less than 1 percent per year.

Some things can make bone loss happen more quickly, leading to osteopenia, such as:

• Medical conditions such as hyperthyroidism 
  • Medications such as prednisone and some treatments for cancer, heartburn, high blood pressure and seizures.
  • Hormonal changes during menopause.
  • Poor nutrition, especially a diet too low in calcium or vitamin D.
  • Surgery on the gastrointestinal system, which can affect the body’s ability to absorb needed nutrients and minerals.
  • Unhealthy lifestyle choices, such as smoking, drinking too much alcohol or caffeine, and not exercising.

How are osteopenic bones treated?

There’s no cure for osteopenia, but it’s important to preserve bone density as much as possible. Treatment involves simple strategies to keep your bones as healthy and strong as possible and prevent progression to osteoporosis:

• Calcium treatment 
  • Healthy diet.
  • Supplements for vitamin D deficiency and exposure to the sun to help your body absorb vitamin D.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21855-osteopenia#:~:text=Osteopenia%20is%20a%20loss%2....

Here's an article from the British Thyroid Foundation.  I think they explain it well.

https://www.btf-thyroid.org/thyroid-disorders-and-osteoporosis#:~:text=Thyroid%20hormone%20affects%2....

Trusted Contributor

That's a lot of helpful info, Bernie.   I have been on synthoid for years.  I am unable to take the generic version. The nurse said synthoid is the only one that is different than his generic. When I was on the generic my legs would feel like two heavy boards.   My twin sister takes the generic with no problem.  

it is supposed to be very warm today but with gusty winds.    I can live with that. Then rain in afternoon.  Also today my Granddaughter and my Great Granddaughter are celebrating their birthdays. My Great is in Florida with her Grandma and family. My Granddaughter was here over the weekend and we had breakfast together and a great time. My Youngesr Grandson had taken my twin greats to air show. Imagine that they thought that would be more fun.  They are sure great kids even  if I do say so myself.  The boys and Nat will go to sixth grade next year.  How did that happen. Trying to catch up on posts.  

Honored Contributor

hello all

not much here today

did normal chores,

drying in dryer,have doc appoint today,don't know how long this appoint will last,didn;t want to take chance and not getting home in time to take clothes down for folding put away stuff

did morn walk

delightful day,cool and comfy. ok guys later.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

Thanks for all the information. Now I will wait to hear regarding the reports from the endocrinologist. 

I've got to get some batteries for my Tens unit as I have not used this device for a few years. Plus I will need to replenish the patches. 

We had our GS today. We picked him up from school as they went on a field trip to a nearby forest and he had a surprise for me. He fell in the mud. He tripped on a tree root and since we had rain, mud was inevitable. He was not the only one who got full of mud. I had his clothes, rain jacket,back pack and I left his hiking boots for his father to clean up. lol. 

Tomorrow he's going to a fish hatchery. I hope there is no mud..LOLWoman LOL

Again, thanks for all the information. I think the torn ham string is going to be my biggest challenge at this point.

Trusted Contributor

Just a perfect day outside today. Today our oldest grandson turns 21. How in the heck is that possible. Seems not so long ago he was climbing up on our laps asking us to read to him. He's such a nice young man,very proud of him and his brother. 

Today I downloaded a exercise program. I used to go the gym and do weight training,but my back put a stop to that. Right now I'm just doing something for my balance. The PT had me doing work on it when I had been my hip replacement. So,I decided to do something. I consulted with my daughter,who works out and is qualified to be a trainer. Next step will be doing exercises from a chair. We'll see how it goes,but I know I need to move!

Honored Contributor

Betty @yock   Time waits for no one and my dad was right, it speeds up with every year you're on the planet, lol.