Honored Contributor

13 years ago I came home from work and put up a St. Brigid's cross over my back door.  My sister bought it from the Capuchin Monastery and left it for me on my kitchen table.  The tag on it described it as being made from rushes gathered by the River Shannon.  

Amazon.com: St. Brigid's Cross | 20" x 20" | Made in Ireland | History Card  Attached | All Handcrafted, All Natural Saint Brigid's Cross : Home &  Kitchen

St. Brigid had an affinity for animals and I am here to give witness to that.  Within 10 minutes of me hanging that cross over my back door, Grayson, who was traumatically injured at the time, found my patio and jumped up on my stoop.  I kid you not, I hung the cross and opened the door.  Walked into the kitchen and walked back into the family room and there was Grayson.

He was a young bird and I celebrate 'our' anniversary and his birthday on July 8th of every year.  My Grayson is 13 years old today.  This is a photo of him from April as he was doing bird yoga (stretching).

IMG_3335 (2) (400x300).jpg

Have a cupcake

Full List of Cupcake Flavors | Flavor Cupcakery & Bake Shop

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

Woman, if you ever want a job as a handyman...er, handywoman, I'd hire you in a blink of an eye!  Not only do you have a lot of knowledge, what you don't know you find out, and then have the cajones to try out.  

I have none of that.  I'll try something simple, and if it doesn't work, I quit and hire somebody.  Or now, I try to do without.  I figure that I used to do without a whole lot of stuff that has become commonplace in my life, so why not try it again?  And getting my life simplified sounds good to me nowadays.

I don't have cable either, but I do have satellite TV, and those biologic ads run constantly on the channels I watch.  They've even got it synchronized on one ad so that one of the actors in the show that runs the commercial does the voice over for the medication.  I'm with you in trying the simple approach first.

Good luck with the dryer!  I hope your fix works.🤞

Honored Contributor

To Grayson:

CA84B61B-DD16-44A6-8817-DBA026DEC3D6.gif

Honored Contributor

@geezerette  Nine times out of ten it's like working out a puzzle to me.  The stuff I did today would have been infinitely easier had I removed the drum like all the men advised in the youtube videos that I've been studying this week.  Yea, right,  once I remove that drum and matching belt I would never get it back on the right way.  I started with the dryer that was running, just not running warm.  I didn't want to do anything that would make me lose ground.  Lucky for me I was able to get my hand between a couple of brackets and the drum to reach the scr*ws that I needed to loosen.

You should have seen the amount of studying I did to figure out how to work the multi meter.  You know something like a studfinder is simple.  It either finds a stud or it don't.  This multi meter does AC/DC/Ohms and some other thing I don't understand.  I'm always learning something new - new to me at least.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@geezerette  Nine times out of ten it's like working out a puzzle to me.  The stuff I did today would have been infinitely easier had I removed the drum like all the men advised in the youtube videos that I've been studying this week.  Yea, right,  once I remove that drum and matching belt I would never get it back on the right way.  I started with the dryer that was running, just not running warm.  I didn't want to do anything that would make me lose ground.  Lucky for me I was able to get my hand between a couple of brackets and the drum to reach the scr*ws that I needed to loosen.

You should have seen the amount of studying I did to figure out how to work the multi meter.  You know something like a studfinder is simple.  It either finds a stud or it don't.  This multi meter does AC/DC/Ohms and some other thing I don't understand.  I'm always learning something new - new to me at least.

@Bird mama 

See, all that makes sense to me.  I wouldn't want to lose ground either.  But my problem is that I have absolutely no clue as to how to go further.  Your mind is more logical than mine, I guess.  You take things step by step, from where you are now, eventually back to the cause.  That's what my husband would do. 

And I admit that part of my problem is that I don't have the confidence to try.  You remind me of several older women I knew as a kid that were able to do most of their own repair work too.

I think it's great!  👏

Honored Contributor

I am my mother's daughter @geezerette   She was scared of electricity and gas however I saw my mother figure out so many things when I was a kid.  As the youngest of 3 girls, I got stuck helping my dad with lots of things.  Maybe some of Dad rubbed off on me I don't know.  

I do have my limits though.  I've watched videos of how to transition from stiff copper pipe to flexible gas pipe with individual shut-off.  Could I do it?  Maybe.  Birds have sensitive respiratory systems which is why canary in a coal mine was a real thing back in the day.  I'd be scared of a leak.

I remember the first time I worked with gas.  My kitchen has a cooktop in one place and built it oven in another place.  The oven died.  It was the Tappan that the owner left behind and it lived a long life.  I went to Lowes to pick out a new GE oven.  I had Lowe's come out to estimate how much to install.  They sent 3 guys who acted like they had never seen a built in oven before.  They said $300 to install.  Okay I got the oven on sale for like $400.  I told them just deliver it and I'll figure it out.  The delivery guy was kind and parked it on one of the kitchen chairs I had moved over which was the exact height I needed (there is cabinetry and storage under oven).  

There was an individual shut off for the gas line already.  I bought the connections I needed from home depot and installed it the day I was doing a colonoscopy prep, rofl.  Hey it's not like I could leave the house anyway and I did get started early in the morning.  

Before I turned the gas back on I took my dog Max in the yard and put out a bowl of water, just in case something went sideways I didn't want the dog hurt.  The hardest part of that job was fitting inside the opening where the storage drawer had been.  It was hard to move my arms and hands but it worked out.

Respected Contributor

I left a message on Community thread. I can only use my eyes for a short while right now. Surgery took 10 and1/2 hours.When I woke up I could not see.I was told that happens because of your head being lower than the rest of your body and your eyes dry out.I can see now,but then it gets blurry They did find cancer but are sure they got it all.I will continue to go to the cancer center to be monitored.No chemo or radiation thank heavens.Just have a lot of healing to do.I will check in now and then,not much posting yet. 

Hope this finds everyone well. Thank you for your prayers and caring.Love Hellie

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

hey all

got call this afternoon, my car is going in for repairs tuesday 12 july. have to tag my car by 1 september, hope all repairs will be done with in a 1 week time frame.

dh stopped at dealership on way home. they service guy knew exactly what was wrong. you have to hit one of the keys off center. i told dh around the house to use the basic alarm that came with the car. he can use the fancy loud alarm when he is out shopping away from the house. he used it on way home hair cut store, he said it worked just as the service writer told him to hit this key on the fob.

very hot and humid this afternoon storms predicted tomorrow. ok guys later

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo 

We got your back Hellie Jo and are praying your vision and strength are restored.

It's National Hugging Day, so you should probably check out these animals  hugging | HelloGiggles