Honored Contributor

Good Lord @viva923   I don't mean to minimize foot surgery because you know, surgery is surgery.  That said do they have to make it all 'cloak and dagger'?  For heaven's sake.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

May be an image of text that says 'G'morning Happy Friday!'

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@possummink 

I am so sorry to hear about all these losses. I can't remember exactly where you live. I thought you may have said Missouri. Are you in the St. Louis area? I heard you got a foot of rain. Now we've been hearing about Kentucky also. I know the storm we had last Saturday was bad, but not as bad as what you are dealing with. 

Next week it will be the heat we will be dealing with 90+ every single day. I get sick just thinking about it. 

Take Care and lets hope relief is insight for you.

@Leeny 

Leeny,  I live about 4 to 5 miles north of the city limits of St. Louis, in North St. Louis County.  My home is very close to the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers.  About 3 miles from the Mississippi River and 4 miles south of the Missouri River. 

I feel so bad for the folks in KY getting hammered with so much rain too and having such a greater loss of lives.  I think the last number of souls who died is 15.   We had one,  maybe two people who died due to the floods.    

Today is sunny for the most part.  Am hoping to get some grass cut as more rain is possible Sunday into next week.  I am so 'over' temperatures in the 90ies or more.  Ready for cool fall weather, though I am not wishing my life away.   It's just been so hot and humid before these storms.  Now it's humid, but cooler for now. 

Honored Contributor

Re: July 2022 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

Wow, this brought tears to my eyes Mary Kay @possummink   Is this someplace local where we can get updates?  

@Bird mama 

Bernie,  I am not sure where to go for updates.  If it's about the storks,  I found that picture and commentary on FB..  Will let you know if I do hear anything more about them.   I haven't heard anything this year about the female stork that lives in Europe, can't remember the country,  wasinjured and can't fly in migration with her mate.  She's cared for by the homeowner where they nest, and the male returns to her each Spring.   I know this happened over several years where he'd fly to Africa for the winter and she'd remain in Europe, being cared for by the people in the house.  Not sure if they bring her inside, but would imagine they do.  I hope that pair of storks are still thriving. 

Edited to add,  @Bird mama 

Bernie,  I just read your post about the storks in Europe.  Thank you for posting it as I'd lost track of them and didn't know the female had died.  That is so sad.   I guess I was hoping they'd go on forever.  Loved their story, faithful birds and their babies. 

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text that says 'Good Morning Friday Have a Happy and safe weekend God Bless'

Honored Contributor

May be an image of bird and nature

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Mary Kay @possummink   Last I ended up finding the stork story you mentioned.  It was from the Czech Republic May 2021.  Villagers fed the father who in turn fed the 4 kids.  I don't know why dad kicked one of the babies out of the nest but he did and the baby died. 

I'm trying to find article that I read last night.  Another stork of the group got electrocuted and I don't know if it was the dad or one of the 3 surviving babies.  I know 2 fully fledged.  I got sidetracked when I read about Malena dying and now I can't find the darn Czech article about the widowed father.

Honored Contributor

Okay, I found more information.  There was a female (Pankrac) and two males (Servac and Bonifac).  Bonifac was electrocuted like his mother, not the same pole though.  

https://maryannsteggles.com/tag/white-storks-saved-by-villagers-of-mlady-buky-are-really-growing/

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Okay, I found more information.  There was a female (Pankrac) and two males (Servac and Bonifac).  Bonifac was electrocuted like his mother, not the same pole though.  

https://maryannsteggles.com/tag/white-storks-saved-by-villagers-of-mlady-buky-are-really-growing/

@Bird mama 

Bernie,   That is so very sad that the mom and one of her kids were electrocuted.   I am glad the people there care about and for those beautiful birds.   Thank you for the link with the information about them.