Honored Contributor

@Leeny 

https://www.goodrx.com/forteo?utm_campaign=115292821&utm_content=7052186461&utm_source=google&utm_me...

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

I just returned from picking up my prescription at Walmart. I tried to see if I could get any more info.. nada. One thing at least my magnesium that is a prescription, went down over $10 I think somebody is looking out for me..lol

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

Isn't that something. It makes me sick to my stomach. Heaven help us all ..We are all at the drug companies mercy.. Woman Sad

@Bird mama wrote:

@Leeny 

https://www.goodrx.com/forteo?utm_campaign=115292821&utm_content=7052186461&utm_source=google&utm_me...

Honored Contributor

When I was diagnosed with osteopenia, doctors suggested pills that were bisphosphonates.  @Leeny   

This is my opinion for my body only. 

I didn't want to take a bisphosphonate because they slow bone turnover.  It's not like that drug increases bone mass - it slows bone turnover which makes your bones look nice and thick on these dexa scans.  Fractures happen because old bone cells that should have fallen off and turned over to make room for new bone are hanging around longer and are not good in quality.  It's old tired and brittle bone and in some people it fractures.

I have no idea about these injectables like Prolia, Forteo etc.  This is why I won't take bone density meds recommended for me.  I take caltrate twice a day and avoid bone density exams.

Honored Contributor

I think I was recommended Fosamax.  Hell I don't remember.

Honored Contributor

Re: July 2022 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

Hey @Leeny  when they did blood work did they check all aspects of your thyroid/parathyroid function? 

According to drugs dot com Forteo and Tymlos are both man-made form of parathyroid hormone that exists naturally in the body. Both increase bone mineral density and bone strength, which may prevent fractures.  On the one hand, this is good.

On the other hand, both have caused bone cancer (osteosarcoma) in animals but it is not known whether this would occur in people using these medicines.  Tymlos is not recommended for more than 2 years of usage so I would really stay away from Tymlos.  

Now, I have a thryoid under attack by my immune system so I have to take synthetic hormone (Synthroid).  Synthroid has been around since 1955 which is the only reason I agreed to take it.

If it was me, I would ask why a synthetic parathyroid was chosen in the first place.  Is there some parathyroid insufficiency showing in your blood work?  

If your parathyroid glands are fine then what will adding this synthetic hormone do to your overall endocrine system function.  

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

I hear you on all counts with medications for the old bones. I think, and this is just my opinion for myself is this: The endocrinologist is who is recommending these meds for the bones because the neurosurgeon won't do back surgery unless my bones in my back are stable. Now, I have not agreed to any surgery at this point. I have a lot of things to consider. I do know my bones are in rough shape. That much I know. But and this is a big one, these injections in my opinion have a lot of side affects. You can only take for two years max and they only improve the bones at max, about 9-10% . Is it really worth it? When done with injections, then what happens??

I do want to ask you this, why do you avoid bone density tests? Is it because you don't want to know the outcome? Or is it something else? 

I wish they could figure out why I am still getting horrible muscle spasms, now I am getting them in my arms. 

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

This is another good question. I don't think I've had that blood work done...YET. I will be sure to ask my doctor tomorrow that question. 

How long have you been on Synthroid? Any side affects with it? 

You know I also have an auto immune sytem problem. I sometimes think this whole thing has stirred up a lot of issues for me.

I will be sure to bring this up tomorrow. Thanks for your input!

Honored Contributor

I submitted to two bone density tests in my lifetime @Leeny 

Since I am still not inclined to take any bone density medication it seems silly to me to have more bone scans.  

Honored Contributor

Has anyone tested your potassium levels and can you eat bananas? 

@Leeny