Honored Contributor

May be an image of text

Honored Contributor

May be an image of flower and text that says '30 Juillet pageEphéméride page Ephéméride Seasonal Calendar'

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

Oh I am sure all the bug sprays and what not are affecting "everything" including my humming birds. We haven't seen a one for weeks now. I think I seen 1 bee this summer. Now I know why my geraniums look sick. I've never had a problem with my flowers until this year. I don't even see the robins around. Sad!

@Bird mama wrote:

@Leeny it's the d@mn pesticides and loss of food.  Short of spritzing a couple of dandelions on my crabby neighbor's side of my yard and I mean right along the fence I let nature do it's thing.  Some gracious dandelion eating animal took care of it for me.  I heard from the guy across the street that I had a groundhog under the front porch this year.  Short of seeing it frolic across the backyard once in the spring it doesn't visit in the daytime like my groundhog Gerry did. 

For all I know I got a couple of rabbits out there.  

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

It's all about the privacy act. Shhhh. don't tell anyone. 

@Bird mama wrote:

Good Lord @viva923   I don't mean to minimize foot surgery because you know, surgery is surgery.  That said do they have to make it all 'cloak and dagger'?  For heaven's sake.

Respected Contributor

@possummink 

Oh yes, Kentucky got hit very hard. Our weather is so out of wack that nothing seems impossible anymore. The President called for, I think 12 counties to be in a state of emergency. I hope help gets to them very quickly. 

I am not looking forward to this coming week at all. 90's just the thought makes me feel ill. The A/C is going to get a real work out that is for sure.

I am hurting today from pool therapy yesterday. My old muscles sure feel the pain. I think I have one more session and then I may take a break and go to the Y to the therapy pool. Arthur does not like to be so over worked that is for sure. Plus I had charlie horses all night. I get my magnesium checked next week. Oh Yay, I get to go out into the heat. 

Respected Contributor

@possummink @Bird mama 

How interesting to read about the stork's. I guess I have never given them a lot of thought which is sad when I think about it. My DH's folks came from Prague, CZ. When I get the chance to read this story to him I am sure he will enjoy it. He can't read much online anymore due to that D--MN macular degeratation. 

@Bird mama wrote:

Okay, I found more information.  There was a female (Pankrac) and two males (Servac and Bonifac).  Bonifac was electrocuted like his mother, not the same pole though.  

https://maryannsteggles.com/tag/white-storks-saved-by-villagers-of-mlady-buky-are-really-growing/

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama   Re rabbits, I have always loved them, and seeing them hop around here, BUT, the damage they are doing is unbelievable!

All berries were eaten, so I told DH to get four poles and netting for the strawberry box, turns out we had everything we needed, so they are safe, but the raspberry and blackberry plants are in 25 gallon pots and now I know where the berries went, and some of the plant branches, so will have to figure something out.  They don't seem to have bothered the blueberry plants.

I have been blaming rats for the eaten rose limbs, and one rose, twice, down to nothing, so DH made a cage, told him it need a top also, so that was done, and the rose came back beautifully.  It had been one branch last year, and every time it grew leaves, they were eaten.  Now, it is growing from the bottom also, which is what I wanted.  This rose isn't available any longer, and I have had it for around twenty years.  We dug it from one area, and put it in a fifteen gallon pot.

As it turns out, I discovered a rabbit sitting in a 25 gallon pot munching on my favorite flowering shrub, so I googled, and guess what, a rabbit can jump over three feet!  I had been going around elevating certain plants thinking they couldn't reach them, what a joke on me, lol.

I know there is one adult and one baby, but there could be more, and it seems there isn't anything they won't eat.  Half of one hydrangea was eaten, and all of another, the latter being one of my favorites.

Needless to say, I am not feeling very loving toward them, and here I am with tons of resin and stuffed rabbits in my home, lol, so I had better get over it.  More cages on the way, poor DH.  Wire is pretty costly.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry that the bunnies are tearing up your garden @mousiegirl 

Today when I was filling my tea kettle to give Finley a shower (she was in the bird bathtub, lol) I happened to glance out of the kitchen window.  Initial thought was wow, that's one big squirrel.  It was GG the groundhog I haven't seen in months.  This was a few minutes before 2 pm.  You know that groundhog is skinny if I thought it was an oversized squirrel Woman Very Happy  GG stopped by the water bowl and drank some water then dashed behind the shrub.  Didn't go outside to follow him/her.  I hope GG starts coming more throughout the day like Gerry used to.  I have to remind myself that I had groundhogs for over 15 years before they trusted the patio as a safe place to eat.

I have to fatten that groundhog up before he/she goes into hibernation this fall.  

@Leeny   Sorry you are feeling stiff today.  I had one heck of a charleyhorse the other day.  Of course it woke me up and boy did I have to walk around to work it out.  I blame it on the ankle socks that I wore that day.  They have some built in arch support and I need to remember that I need run of the mill plain ankle socks.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Leeny  since his people are from the general region I recommend telling your husband the story of Malena and Klepetan in Croatia. This is the video from The Dodo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXMfbY8CawY

Yes, Malena died in 2021 at age 28 however it's more of a feel good story because she had so many years with her caregiver and 19 years with Klepetan who migrated from Africa to be with her.

The Czech Republic story has lots of tragedy with the mom and son getting electroluted.  Has the potential to be a real downer Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Hope I can help some of you with your problems of animals eating your plants. We have a lot of plants in our yard,the problem has been critters eating my herbs,which I have in pots outside behind the deck. The other problem is I have a large planter on the front porch,just as you come up the stairs. Every day ,I believe a squirrel digs in the pot. Sending plants and dirt all over. Now, I don't want to hurt animals so our solution was to put moth balls in and around the plants in the pot. It may not smell great,but it sure keeps the critters away without hurting them. Give it a try,it's a inexpensive solution.