Honored Contributor

Re: July 2017 Bird's Nest - Summer is in Full Swing

[ Edited ]

Grandma watching over me this morning. How she loved her lil red birds. Love you Grandmother

Hi from Florida Birding Friends,   Hope you are having a nice weekend.  It's rained everyday since we, my DD, GDs and I, got here and the chances each day for the next week are 70%.   Not much beach time for the girls or my daughter.   

We did drive up to Tarpon Springs yesterday   I got to see the sponge fleet and we had an excellent meal at a great Greek restaurant.  Lots of garlic and feta cheese, which we all love.   It rained on us but we had fun anyway. 

Winifred,  I sure wish I could send you some of our Cardinals.  Before I left, the parent Cardinals were bringing their babies to the feeder area.  We have dozens of those beautiful birds.   My favorite Catbird, Kitty, brought her youngsters to the same area and would sit in the Yew tree while I tossed her favorite foods in her direction.  Love to hear her various calls, especially the mewling calls, like a cat.  

I hope you are having some cooling weather.  The temps in the southwest are unbelievable.  Stay cool and hydrated for sure.  

Have a great Independence Day celebration,  EveryoneHeart

Honored Contributor

Stylish Corgi!

Honored Contributor

July 4th Cat

Honored Contributor

Good afternoon everyone,  

It's been breezy enough to have the windows and back door open since early this morning. It's going to hit the mid-80's and be less humid so I still have some time for fresh air.  

@possummink  glad you and the kids had a safe trip.

I just cut the grass in the front yard.  I have a combination of 'heritage' (aka old) grass and newer grass so I basically evened out the wisps of taller grass - there is barely any grass in the catcher bag attached to the mower.

When it is hot like this, since the mower allows it, I put the setting on half bag and half mulch.  Doing that seems to be keeping my grass greener. That and I don't have the wheel height set on 'scalp'.  

I'm going grab a quick lunch and then go out in the back yard and even out that grass.  Once the grass is done, I'll bring the two chairs and the little table out of the garage and hose them down and put them on the patio.

I finally started seeing some fledgling sparrows this past week.  Still no adult squirrels which is really, really weird.

There is a male sparrow that has taken over the birdhouse.  He's a screamer - chirps all day.  Can't tell if he's lonely or what.  He was carrying on so bad, I pulled out the ladder this morning and inspected the birdhouse with a flashlight.  There are no babies in there.

We had a male sparrow like that many years ago.  We called him Liberace because all he did was sing and dance around.  His behavior actually scared the females off, lol.  I loved that little bird and can still remember the day he passed away.  It was the first day of my husband's chemotherapy treatment and it felt like a bad omen.

I never did tell my husband that Liberace passed away, although I'm pretty confident once he hit heaven he could hear Liberace singing his little heart out :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Happy Monday

Honored Contributor

Patriotic Cats in Socks T-Shirt

Honored Contributor

Four 4th of July old fashioned picnic

Honored Contributor

squirrel and bird feeder.jpg

Respected Contributor

@possummink wrote:

♥ Baggy Bulldogs ♥                                                       …

@possummink

The look on their faces is adorable!   Thanks Possum for posting it.

Glad to hear that you and your family made it to Fla. safely.  Sorry about the rain.  It does sound like you are all having a good time despite the rain.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

squirrel and bird feeder.jpg

@mousiegirl

This is too funny!  Thanks for posting it!