Honored Contributor

Seagull Sunset

Honored Contributor

my misty morning

Respected Contributor
Possummink

Re: Back Fence and Bird's Nest - June 2015

my misty morning

Hi Birding and Fence Friends,    Hot and hazy is the rule of the day so far.

Sweetpeace,   I did see the alignment of Jupiter and Venus last night and took a couple of photos with my cell phone.   Also took some of the moon which was kind of behind milky clouds. 

I read in the news from home that the reddish appearance of the moon was due to the forest fires way up in Saskatchewan,  Canada.   Apparently those fires are mostly out of control.  Fires also in Alberta and Manitoba.   The videos of those fires show how fierce those fires are and there are a lot of them.   Hope they get some rain to help put those flames out.   

The full moon as seen near Tampa last night. 

Full Moon ~~ June 30, 2015.

Honored Contributor

Watch-out there ..... we are a careful and caring family just going together for a walk!

Hi Birding Friends,   I did post on the June thread and thank you for the note reminding us of the new July thread.   I have already marked it to 'float to the top"

Thanks, Sweetpeace, for moving some of the postings I made on the other thread.  I forgot to go out tonight to check on the alignment or juxtapositions of the two planets.   My grandsons are all into astronomy which is fun so now I have someone else to admire the skies with.   

It really is sad about the forest fires up in Canada.   I know how devastating they are here in the lower 48, like California, Colorado,  Washington,  New Mexico etc.   I always fear for the wildlife that can't run or fly, like turtles, snakes, chipmunks, bears, etc.  So much devastation and loss of natural resources.   

Luvsbulldogs,  What great photos of the turkey family.   Wow,  they are really close.   I love that stone wall in the background of one of your photos.  New England must be such a beautiful place to live.   I'd love to have skunks around our home again.   Most of the ones we had have been killed on the road.   City people who move out to the county, at least in our area,  seem to have no regard for the wild things that share or used to share our area.   Poor possums seem to be targets for cars to aim at.  I don't know how many I have buried in our pet cemetery.  I've buried a fox or two there also.   I think skunks are beautiful little creatures.  My kids always though I was crazy because skunk scenting(defensive)  doesn't offend me.   I told them,  give me natures scents to air pollution from factories, refineries,  and car exhaust ,  any day.   Growing up on a farm,  I prefer nature!!  

Birdmama,   Thank you for our new beautiful roost for July.   Also thanks for the reminder of the new thread.   I'm glad you have a bunny again.  We used to have a bunch of bunnies, but then the coyotes moved in and the bunnies were gone for a while, but they are comming back.   My brother had a 'stare down'  with the doe in the back yard again tonight.   She doesn't run from us right away,  she stands and stares at us and then moves away.  There's a fawn, my brother saw it last week.   Last year there was a fawn that would lay in the tall grass near the boat.  It wouldn't move even if my brother got near it.  We have 2 acres and there's a woods and field(belongs to the church next to us) but everything else is subdivision.  Used to be fields, pasture, and farmland.  There is a golf course about a mile or so down the road, in fact,  there's another on about 1 1/2 miles down another road, so there is a bit of habitat left.  

Mousie,  What an exciting day for 'the Girl',  bet she was tuckered out last night, and you too.   I guess thoes piles of trimmings give the bunnies a bit of cover.   I made a huge brush pile down by the crick at the other house.   It's home to bunnies, groundhogs, and all kinds of birds.   I've got so many limbs down in the yard that my brother hasn't moved yet,  that I am tempted to start another brush pile on one side of the property, about half way down the hill.  My cover for "my" critters.  

I must have missed the post about Kitty.   What did the vet say and are you going to keep him?   Lucky he came to you for help.   Maybe a plain box would tempt Kitty out of the litter box.   I have never met a cat that doesn't like a box to get into, even shoeboxes.   Any new box that came into the house was claimed by a cat, back when I had at least 6 inside cats and about 15 or so feral, but tamed, cats outside.  Even the outside kitties liked boxes or soda crates.   My brother would bring some of those home now and then and  I made a catbed out of one and it sits on the back steps under an awning.   It's been used by generations of cats and is only a yard away from the Igloo house I bought for the cats.  It's full of sweaters, blankets, and soft warm things, and yet the kitties most of the time choose the crate. 

Have the dogs met Kitty and are they 'tolerant' of him?? 

Winifred,  I hope you are doing well in the heat and humidity.  I sure am sick of the hot sticky weather here in Florida.   It was 91 before noon today.  I just stay in the AC and fill the feeders later in the evening or when it's cloudy out.    Take good care and I am glad you found this new thread. 

Guess I have 'yackked' long enough.   Need to close this down for now.  

Wishing all my Birding Friends a peaceful night and a nice Thursday.  Wow, July's here already.  

Honored Contributor

~Only in the country~

Honored Contributor

Country Living

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Ibises  -  Nikolay Stanev

Honored Contributor

Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  ~  Samuel Maglione

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

Birdmama, all my talk, for years, about bunnies living in my yard and you never told this adorable story.  I have deliberately not fed the bunnies, as I could have entire communities living here instead of the two or three that I see.  I have mentioned that they don't seem very afraid of me, as in last evening just hanging around untill "the girl" took off after it.

Mousie, our bunnies started really coming around in 2005.  They sensed the dog was getting old and wouldn't chase them.  My DH, being a retiree, bonded with the wildlife and I'd find out about it later.  At one point, I couldn't understand where all the Cheerios were going until DH told me the squirrels liked them.  I told DH, let's buy them something cheaper than Cheerios.

DH and this rabbit were a pair.  When I started seeing other rabbits with the same white mark on their heads, I would jokingly call them Hondo's kids - Rondo and Jondo (rofl).

The rabbit didn't start waiting for me in the front yard until the spring following DH's passing.  The first time I saw Hondo there, I was struck dumb.  He looked like a lawn ornament, just relaxing in the grass.  I'd hit the garage door opener, pause in the the driveway and say, you checking up on me Hondo?  He would hop into the back yard.  That continued through 2007 and then out of nowhere there was no Hondo.  I often wondered what happened to him.

Every once in a while, one of the duck couple will do the same thing - but it's usually early in the morning.  The female rests in the middle of the front yard like a decoy and the male will perch on the second story like a weather vane.

Thank you for sharing wonderful critter stories. I shudder to think what the world would be if there were no critters.  I would not want to live in it, that I know.