Honored Contributor

Welcome Birding Friends and Visitors to the July Bird's Nest.  

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,
and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!
There lies asleep A tiny bird.
Written by H.N. Bialik
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

July 2015 - Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

Birding Friends, can you believe it's July 1st already? 

The bird of the day is the Lovely Cotinga

My guess is that it's not easy to get a photo of this particular bird.  All of the photos seem to be from the ground up with the bird in a tree.

Honored Contributor

Birdmama, I love the birdie with the flag, perfect for July.

We had some excitement last evening.  When I went to the patch to fetch the pups for din din, I put a leash on the girl, but sometimes I let her run to the house.  On the way to the patch, I had seen a bunny on the slope across from the patch, then totally forgot about it, probably thinking that it would hop off after seeing me.

I opened the gate, she saw the bunny, and off she went at such a speed, that I hardly saw her leave.  She chased it up to the next level, with me screaming my lungs out, which brought DD out of her cave (room), wondering what was happening.  I could see that dog hopping through the pruned limbs lying on the ground, then she decided that she couldn't get through, so came down the slope, all the time I was screaming din din, din din.

After dinner, while sitting at the table, I heard a commotion, looked under the table, and saw Remmy looking under the hutch.  I assumed that he had see a ball under there and was trying to get it.  The noise kept on for a while, and then I realized that the girl wasn't around so I got up and went to the hutch, and there she was, stuck under the hutch, rear end sticking out the end, and her head peering under the front, LOL, so it wasn't a ball Remmy was after, it was this darned dog.  I pulled her out, telling her enough mischief for one evening, missy.

Kitty is still eating and drinking, but he sleeps in the litter pan.  I have never known a cat to do this.  I am thinking maybe he has been outside so long and is used to rough surfaces, I just don't know.  There is a wonderful bed with a fluffy blanket, the blanket being added yesterday hoping he would snuggle in it, but no luck.  Needless to say, I keep that pan clean.  

I will be deep cleaning my kitchen today, somewhat, lol, while listening/watching to Valerie's shows, and hoping she doesn't present anything I can't live without, as I really have more than enough decorations.  I am also watching the scrapbooking shows on HSN, have too many of those too.

Today, I will be bathing the pups as they will be having their nails clipped tomorrow after I return from the Vet, and then off to run errands.  DD and I will go to the movie either tomorrow or Friday to see the new dinosaur picture.

Right now, it is cooler than yesterday, but know it will heat up later on, hopefully not as much as yesterday.

Honored Contributor

Mousie - the full moon seems to be messing with you and Freddie regarding pups taking you for a run and acting crazy.  Unbelievable that your girl crawled under the hutch!  Don't you sometimes wish Remmy could talk so you could get his take on the girl's shenanigans? 

Kitty probably likes the structure and security of the sides of the litter pan.  My sister bought a litter pan for one of my Ma's cats.  She keeps a blanket in it at all times and the cat seems to like the security.

Respected Contributor

Hi Birdmama........you did a great job starting the Bird's nest thread........nice and easy to find.  Hope your throat is feeling better?  Loved the pics...thanks for posting. 

Hi mousiegirl..........wow you really had some day yesterday with all the excitment.  Hoping that today is much better for you. 

I hope that you and DD enjoy the movie.

I have enclosed several of my pics from last year of mama turkeys with their babies.  Sometimes they join together and other times it is one mama.  We are still waiting to see this years babies....hopefully soon.

Hi to all the birders!

IMG_0017.JPG

Respected Contributor

Another pic of mama and her babies!!!

IMG_0017.JPG

Honored Contributor

Luvsbulldogs - Although it will probably never happen, I would love turkeys to visit my yard.  I got really excited yesterday evening.  A rabbit was in my yard and heading for the pavers to look for any interesting seed.  I nearly broke my neck filling the bowl to take outside.  It hopped away, just a bit and I said, bunyee oh bunyee - I have food for you and it stopped and watched me put down more food.

I used to have a rabbit family that lived in my yard.  There was one with a white mark on it's forehead (do they have foreheads?) smack in the middle between the ears.  The rabbit had a small piece ot it's ear missing and my DH named it Hondo (lol).  That rabbit would sit in the front yard waiting for me, like a statue, to come home from work.  As soon as the garage door opened and my car hit the driveway, Hondo would hop in the backyard and wait for food.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Luvsbulldogs - Although it will probably never happen, I would love turkeys to visit my yard.  I got really excited yesterday evening.  A rabbit was in my yard and heading for the pavers to look for any interesting seed.  I nearly broke my neck filling the bowl to take outside.  It hopped away, just a bit and I said, bunyee oh bunyee - I have food for you and it stopped and watched me put down more food.

I used to have a rabbit family that lived in my yard.  There was one with a white mark on it's forehead (do they have foreheads?) smack in the middle between the ears.  The rabbit had a small piece ot it's ear missing and my DH named it Hondo (lol).  That rabbit would sit in the front yard waiting for me, like a statue, to come home from work.  As soon as the garage door opened and my car hit the driveway, Hondo would hop in the backyard and wait for food.

Hi birdmama............how nice that you had a rabbit visit you yesterday.  I hope that it came back and ate what you put out for him. Hoepfully you will continue to see it.  Rabbits are one of the animals that we do not see here but I spoke to our neighbor about an hour ago and she told me that she has one on her property.  We are approx. 13 acres apart so it is very possible that we might see one here also.  She also told me that we have coyotes in the field.  I hear them at night and sometimes see them during the day.  I worry this time of year because there are a lot of babies around and they would definitely eat them. 

You were very fortunate to have a rabbit family in your yard.  Hondo sounds cute!  I love that he knew when you were home from work.  You never know you just might have turkeys visit you.   Have a nice rest of the day Birdmama!

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Birdmama, all my talk, for years, about bunnies living in my yard and you never told this adorable story.  I have deliberately not fed the bunnies, as I could have entire communities living here instead of the two or three that I see.  I have mentioned that they don't seem very afraid of me, as in last evening just hanging around untill "the girl" took off after it.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Birdmama, all my talk, for years, about bunnies living in my yard and you never told this adorable story.  I have deliberately not fed the bunnies, as I could have entire communities living here instead of the two or three that I see.  I have mentioned that they don't seem very afraid of me, as in last evening just hanging around untill "the girl" took off after it.

Mousie, our bunnies started really coming around in 2005.  They sensed the dog was getting old and wouldn't chase them.  My DH, being a retiree, bonded with the wildlife and I'd find out about it later.  At one point, I couldn't understand where all the Cheerios were going until DH told me the squirrels liked them.  I told DH, let's buy them something cheaper than Cheerios.

DH and this rabbit were a pair.  When I started seeing other rabbits with the same white mark on their heads, I would jokingly call them Hondo's kids - Rondo and Jondo (rofl).

The rabbit didn't start waiting for me in the front yard until the spring following DH's passing.  The first time I saw Hondo there, I was struck dumb.  He looked like a lawn ornament, just relaxing in the grass.  I'd hit the garage door opener, pause in the the driveway and say, you checking up on me Hondo?  He would hop into the back yard.  That continued through 2007 and then out of nowhere there was no Hondo.  I often wondered what happened to him.

Every once in a while, one of the duck couple will do the same thing - but it's usually early in the morning.  The female rests in the middle of the front yard like a decoy and the male will perch on the second story like a weather vane.