Respected Contributor

Birdmama and everyone, I just received this email, and I have goosebumps.

"And thank you for looking after him.  I think  this did the trick too.  Mary wants our 25 yr old daughter (her cat) to see him one last time when she returns early next week from South America.  She lives in SF but works in San Mateo and should be able to make it here soon.  If you see him, please just let him wander.   He stays in our back yard most of the time.  We feed him twice/day and give him meds which is the only reason he is still alive.  We will send him to heaven in the next few days.  Thanks again."

Two feedings a day, I fed him five times a day, which tells me he hasn't been getting enough food.

Oh mousie I am so glad to hear that she is going to do the right thing.    You certainly did the right thing. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I posted this last week in Community chat.  This is a baby fawn that is about 2 or 3 weeks old.  Mama deer is off to the side.  This is in our front yard.   The stone wall is about 2 1/2 feet high so that you get the idea of how small it is.  This was taken 2 years ago.   Still looking for this years babies. 

008.JPG

Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs wrote:

I posted this last week in Community chat.  This is a baby fawn that is about 2 or 3 weeks old.  Mama deer is off to the side.  This is in our front yard.   The stone wall is about 2 1/2 feet high so that you get the idea of how small it is.  This was taken 2 years ago.   Still looking for this years babies. 

008.JPG

Love the fawn, and love the stone wall. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

July 2015 - Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

I think one of the male sparrows who visit my yard is on his way out.  I noticed a male sparrow hanging out on the pavers more or less moving the seeds around.  No other birds around - sure sign something is not right.  He's puffed up (must be having problems thermo regulating).  He can fly, which is why he's in my neighbor's yard right now.  I'm hoping the desire to come back home is strong in him.  I got near him and noticed that seed caked up on his beak.  He was more or less licking, trying to chew.

I have the heating pad ready, a small bowl of water and a glass eye dropper, and a basket lined with a soft looped cotton bar towel.

If he comes back and is even slower moving, in the makeshift incubator he goes.  A guy down the street has a cat that he lets run the neighborhood.

The circle of life sometimes stinks.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I think one of the male sparrows who visit my yard is on his way out.  I noticed a male sparrow hanging out on the pavers more or less moving the seeds around.  No other birds around - sure sign something is not right.  He's puffed up (must be having problems thermo regulating).  He can fly, which is why he's in my neighbor's yard right now.  I'm hoping the desire to come back home is strong in him.  I got near him and noticed that seed caked up on his beak.  He was more or less licking, trying to chew.

I have the heating pad ready, a small bowl of water and a glass eye dropper, and a basket lined with a soft looped cotton bar towel.

If he comes back and is even slower moving, in the makeshift incubator he goes.  A guy down the street has a cat that he lets run the neighborhood.

@Bird mama wrote:

It sure does.  I am leaving everything in the bathroom, just in case.  I hope the guy will have the courtesy to let me know when Tiger leaves, but I doubt it.

Honored Contributor

Mousie, standing in my yard facing the back of the yard, if the bird would have flown in the yard left of me, I could go get it.  It flew in the yard to the right of me.  There's a reason why I have a privacy fence on that side of the yard only - she and I don't communicate.  I'll keep my eyes peeled until it gets dark.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: July 2015 - Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

mousiegirl ..........New England has a lot of stone walls.  From what I understand the stone walls were built in the late 1700's to the 1800's to divide properties.  Also to keep cows in the pastures.  They really are beautiful.   We have them all over our property.  I also think that it is illegal to take the old ones down or take the stones.  They were built by hand.  Glad you like them.

I too hope the guy will let you know about Tiger. 

Respected Contributor

Birdmama ......  I feel so sad for that poor little birdie.  I sure do hope that you find him and bring him to your house.  Let us hope that the cat does not come to your area tonight.  Yes, sometimes the circle of life does stink.

I hope that you find it before it gets dark.  Also hope that it is not on your neighbors property that you do not communicate with.  Good Lick Birdmama.

Honored Contributor

Lovely cottage - Pixdaus

Honored Contributor

K