Honored Contributor

Re: Journals/Diaries of deceased loved ones.

I think "Don't pass on your angst to others" is the word of the day here!  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  ....  What do you want?  Do you want your husband and children to know the stories, or are these things you want to keep close?  If you want to share what's in the journals, why not start sharing stories with your family now?  You keep control of what they hear, and it could build some wonderful current memories, lessons, etc.  Then, you could let go of the jounals, along with the things that are too personal to share.

Honored Contributor

I think it may be a wonderful gift for them to read ,once your gone, it would depend on what is in them,and  you know your kids ,as to what they would think ,if not ask them now,i would had loved that gift from my love ones.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

When my parents died, I found a box of letters my dad had written to my mom while they were dating.  

I kept them for a while, never read them and just recently shredded them.

@CelticCrafter  Your post struck a note with me.  We found a box of letters that my dad wrote to my mom while he was overseas.  My sister took them home with her when me sold my parent's home.  That was 8 years ago.  I asked my sister the other day if she ever read them and she said no.  When we found the box we opened one letter and it seemed so personal and invasive.  It was extremely passionate and we didn't feel right reading them at the time.  I don't know if it would ever be the right time.  I feel my parents wouldn't want them read.

Is that why you shredded them?  We loved our parents dearly.  We had a wonderful childhood.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

During WWII my Dad flew a rather dangerous mission, in addition to others. And everyone who was going to be on the mission was told to write home to their loved ones the night before they flew the mission. It was called Low Level Mission. They were to fly under the radar for thousands of miles with no radio contact. Only 1/3 of the planes made it back.

I found that letter and other letters Dad wrote to his parents. It was fasciating. I wished I read the letters while my Dad was still alive. I also ran across the letters my Mom an Dad wrote to one another after he got back from overseas. 

I learned so many things that my Dad and family lived through and wish I knew all this while he was alive. I glad my Grandparents and parents did not throw the letters away.

Honored Contributor

I journal and some of my writings are expanded thoughts of my life & my kids life, that we don't get to talk about when together

I hope my kids do keep & read them.

Honored Contributor

I started writing my thoughts in the mid 80’s, as a stress reliever, and stopped around 2005, because it didn’t seem as important to me by then.   

I ran across those books during a purging process after I retired, and made the decision to shred all of them.   The thoughts I expressed about situations in my 30’s changed with time.   I realized just how therapeutic my writing had been, and felt that benefit was far greater than leaving a trail of written thoughts for my daughters who would’ve been clueless about so many of those situations.   

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs - yes, I felt they were too personal and invasive. 

Even though, by nature I am a nosy person, I just couldn't bring myself to read them.

Honored Contributor

I think if you have journals or diaries and you wouldn't mind your children or other reading them, it is a wonderful gift to leave for them when you are gone.

I would love to have a window into my parents life and their feelings when they were young.  My parents were older when they had a family and most of their younger lives are a mystery.

my mother would share her feelings and I felt so close to her because of,it, but my father who was the life of the party and a social butterfly, was pretty quiet at home.  I often hear stories from other people about him, but I wish I wouldn't have really known the real person better.

i would treasure having journals and would certainly read them if they were available.

Respected Contributor

I found a box of love letters from both my mom and dad, they are now both deceased.  I had no idea they were tucked away in the family house until I cleaned it out.

Years later, the box is right next to this computer wondering what I should do with them, I really wish I would of known about them earlier and I could of had them buried with my mom but that's not an option.

I have no one to give them to and was thinking why should I pass them on to anyone if that was an option.  These are letters to and from my parents well before I was ever born.  

I am so happy you actually are inquiring about yours because I have made a decision, I am going to burn them and forever will be their memories, not mine or anyone elses.

@house_cat

This is my recommendation and your post helped me make a decision on the letters I have so thank you.