Respected Contributor

Re: Joel Osteen - Disappointed

@gmkb wrote:

I agree with 'mrniceguy'; J. Olsteen is more of a motivational speaker.  Dr. Stanley, Dr. Jeremiah, and Dr. Hagey, who are scripture based, are my favorites.

I too find Dr. Stanley and Jeremiah to be great Bible teachers.  Many times when I didn't know what to do they would provide just the right answer through scripture.  I have found them also to be very humble servants of God.

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@mrniceguy wrote:

If you ask me, Joel Olsteen is not much of a preacher in the true sense of the word. He is more of a "motivational speaker". He's just always telling people to be happy and rarely ever quotes biblical scripture.

And that's what this Jewish girl likes about him! He reminds us to be positive and optimistic,  remembering the good in your life- while dealing with lifes challenges. He quotes the Bible - but speaks from the heart moreso. It's all  very non denominational. 

I agree with you.   When I hear him speak, I hear this:  Keep your faith in God, keep a positive attitude.  This is in line with many teachings across the board.  And, it's something that's worked for me many times in my life.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Regarding the use of the year 2015, instead of 2016:  He's not a fortune teller.  I think his message is that the beginning of a new year is a time to be hopeful and have a positive outlook.

I don't think it matters much what year it is.  His message still resonates.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I totally agree with you!  Can't stomach him!

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read all the replies but to air a rerun of a sermon from last year would certainly make me angry. I am not a religious person but the spiritual side of me would not appreciate a canned approach. Televangelists make immense amounts of money. Perhaps they can consider talking about 2016 a bit closer than in 2014. To me it shows a careless disregard for those who follow him. I'd go to my local house of worship to find that heavenly spirit and motivation.

Honored Contributor

It is interesting to me that the majority of the ministers of the mega churches and especially the TV evangelists all seem to live very extravagant lifestyles and most fall in disgrace eventually and yet people keep sending them money. 

A lady I worked with in California went back to settle the estate of her mother (who lived somewhere in the south) and found her mother had been donating thousands of dollars every month to TV evangelists. 

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

According to this article the mansion is owned by Covenent Trust:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/real-estate/07-04-10-after-move-to-river-oaks-joel-osteen-wants-t...

And who owns "Covenent Trust"?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

I can't watch him.  Him and his wife remind me of Jim and Tammy Faye Baker.

same with the Crouchs..

090506_tbn2.jpg (200×159)

She dresses like a little girl.  Hmmm......I guess whatever turns him on......

Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

It is interesting to me that the majority of the ministers of the mega churches and especially the TV evangelists all seem to live very extravagant lifestyles and most fall in disgrace eventually and yet people keep sending them money. 

A lady I worked with in California went back to settle the estate of her mother (who lived somewhere in the south) and found her mother had been donating thousands of dollars every month to TV evangelists. 

So? It was her money, she could spend it any way she liked. It probably made her happy to donate. The mother probably got more joy from the evangelists than she got from her daughter.

Frequent Contributor

I totally agree.