Super Contributor

I've asked questions, but most I've talked to say I signed the contract that clearly states I cannot sue them for any reason.   I had 4 weeks of severence and I never thought it was just to protect them.    You're in the state of shock after a layoff.

Trusted Contributor

I'm thinking that if you could get a grip on State regulations you could get a grip on the steps needed to complete tasks in your new position. And when you do, you can then make this job your own and perhaps streamline the processes.

I'm guessing that the training for your tasks has not been documented in a handbook that you could take home and read? That would help reinforce what your learning.

I too think it's a good idea to keep your eyes and ears open in case a better or more compatible opportunity shows up.

And I still offer you congrats on the new job, even if turns out to be a short term gig.

Esteemed Contributor

Apple - I mean this with much kindness and good intentions....but you really need to lose the "victim" mentality. Of course you are overwhelmed; you just started a new job. You need to step it up; rise to the opportunity. What a great chance for you to improve your skills and ability to learn. It is not up to your manager to adapt to your learning style. It is your responsibility to do whatever YOU need to do to learn. Your hours do not seem unreasonable at all. Getting up at 4:45 am is NOT unusual. And so what if you have to wait a few days for your badge! You need to roll with it. Be more adaptable and easy to work with. You should be grateful that you are being challenged. Really. 

Honored Contributor

@Apple Head wrote:

I've asked questions, but most I've talked to say I signed the contract that clearly states I cannot sue them for any reason.   I had 4 weeks of severence and I never thought it was just to protect them.    You're in the state of shock after a layoff.

4 weeks of severance is NOT very much considering your 20 years on the job.     You did not get a very "good deal".................     I would still consider investigating how this was handled.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Apple Head wrote:

The reason I took a pay cut  is I was laid off of a job of 20 years as were many others.    I'm over 50 and it's not easy finding work in competition with all the younger more tech savvy people out there.  I have been looking for a while and they do pay 100% of insurance premium, but the workload is so stressful.   I know if they would train slower and go over each step with full attention, I might grasp it.  I thought of going to talk to one of the nice supervisors, not to complain but to ask her advice on how to learn all of it.  She's been so nice to me, but I'm afraid I'll put a wedge between me and the trainer if she finds out.

My old employer (who also laid off my supervisor) has now posted my old position twice in the past year.   They told us our positions were eliminated because of the co merger.  I was there for 20 years.   The first time it posted last July, a gal I knew who moved into that dept since I left e-mailed me and suggested I come in and interview for it (acting as if I had no idea it was my previous job) and wanted me to interview with the new Mgr who is now sitting in  my old office.   They did this apart from HR which goes against all rules.  I told the HR gal about it and she denied she knew anything at all.

I didn't do anything about it because I would have never gone back under that circumstance.   I heard through the grapevine that they hired someone internally to fill the position.  Mine was a very visible position and I had to do a lot with State regulations, etc.   

Someone sent me the new posting today so the person they filled it with before didn't work out.    

Do any of you think I should call HR back and ask why is this happening?   I don't want to go back now because of all they did to me and put me through, but it upsets me so much that they lied and now are in a bind because they can't fill my old job, a job by the way that I was commended for by the State during their many surveys.

I signed a parting agreement (enabling me some severence back then) so I can't sue them for lying to me.     

@Apple Head

I am so sorry you are going through this.  I know you thought very long and hard about taking this job.

Surely understand why you wouldn't want to go back to the place that fired you >20 years.  However, going to the Employment Security Commission and at least talking with them about what happened is not the same as suing.  I sounds as though your former employer might have given you some misinformation.  I also think you can apply for un-employment even if you did take a severance package.  Again, the ESC could tell you.

I would consider calling their HR and just asking a few questions, and maybe going for an interview.  No harm in asking them to talk with you, doesn't mean you have to go back even if they asked you.

Sending you best wishes, just know there is something good out there for you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I’m sorry you’re feeling overwhelmed and disappointed.  I was so hoping that this would work out for you. Perhaps in time things will improve as you begin to learn the job and feel more comfortable.   New jobs can seem so overwhelming at first.  If it’s not for you then perhaps think of it as a learning experience and keep looking.  I always believe things happen for a reason.  Sending prayers and positive energy your way.  (((Hugs)))

Honored Contributor

Re: Job So Stressful

[ Edited ]

@Apple Head wrote:

The reason I took a pay cut  is I was laid off of a job of 20 years as were many others.    I'm over 50 and it's not easy finding work in competition with all the younger more tech savvy people out there.  I have been looking for a while and they do pay 100% of insurance premium, but the workload is so stressful.   I know if they would train slower and go over each step with full attention, I might grasp it.  I thought of going to talk to one of the nice supervisors, not to complain but to ask her advice on how to learn all of it.  She's been so nice to me, but I'm afraid I'll put a wedge between me and the trainer if she finds out.

My old employer (who also laid off my supervisor) has now posted my old position twice in the past year.   They told us our positions were eliminated because of the co merger.  I was there for 20 years.   The first time it posted last July, a gal I knew who moved into that dept since I left e-mailed me and suggested I come in and interview for it (acting as if I had no idea it was my previous job) and wanted me to interview with the new Mgr who is now sitting in  my old office.   They did this apart from HR which goes against all rules.  I told the HR gal about it and she denied she knew anything at all.

I didn't do anything about it because I would have never gone back under that circumstance.   I heard through the grapevine that they hired someone internally to fill the position.  Mine was a very visible position and I had to do a lot with State regulations, etc.   

Someone sent me the new posting today so the person they filled it with before didn't work out.    

Do any of you think I should call HR back and ask why is this happening?   I don't want to go back now because of all they did to me and put me through, but it upsets me so much that they lied and now are in a bind because they can't fill my old job, a job by the way that I was commended for by the State during their many surveys.

I signed a parting agreement (enabling me some severence back then) so I can't sue them for lying to me.     

Absolutely! go back, you know much more about how things work where you were. You clearly would be more comfortable. In today's world, just go back, it's clear that they made a mistake. Let bygones, be bygones and head back over. I'd do it in an eye wink. It's your future. Do it now, they say, "you're more employable when you are employed. Make hay while the sun shines.

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Apple - I mean this with much kindness and good intentions....but you really need to lose the "victim" mentality. Of course you are overwhelmed; you just started a new job. You need to step it up; rise to the opportunity. What a great chance for you to improve your skills and ability to learn. It is not up to your manager to adapt to your learning style. It is your responsibility to do whatever YOU need to do to learn. Your hours do not seem unreasonable at all. Getting up at 4:45 am is NOT unusual. And so what if you have to wait a few days for your badge! You need to roll with it. Be more adaptable and easy to work with. You should be grateful that you are being challenged. Really. 

@Apple Head. I did not mean to press the heart on this post!,I was looking to see who hearted it. I feel for you and know how you feel. By opening up with us people will think you are are of a  victim mentality. I refuse to accept that ..and disliked that. I get that some people have a view but you are sharing a stressful time..I almost felt like I was you at many times in my life!  

Please give it a go, if it doesn't work out it's not meant to be. You're not being a princess I find that to be a very early time to wake up and be stressed and have 30 mins to chill. I worked like a dog bad areas of Philly hospice and treated like crapploa from a manager. I quit after my mom died. It was grueling but have to say I was my own boss and dislike that stress that you're dealing with. My best! Sounds like nursing lol! Oy vey. Sorry for type errors I can hardly see on the iPad font! Really tiny print. Bye now take care. 

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

I don't mean any offense; I do have to wonder if you are new to this kind of business world.  I see everything you described almost everywhere.  I'm not saying it's right but I'm saying it sounds pretty normal to me.  

You are the only one who can fix it.  Ask for a few minutes to sit down with your trainer and explain your training needs and ask to slow down a little.   No complaining or anything, keep your voice in a level, professional tone and explain your needs.

Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

The laying people off when there is a merger, and then re-posting for essentially the same job weeks or months later, is not at all unusual. It happens all the time. It is 'used' for several reasons - the new corporate wants new/"their" people, there are people they just want gone, they want to pay new hires less money, etc. supervisory personnel or those in charge of an area are usually the first to go. All the company needs to say is that the position was eliminated because it wasn't needed, cost-cutting, etc. *at the time.* Then they realized later on they did need someone in a *similar* position, with a few differences to the position and it's all legal.  Pretty morally carpy, but legal. It's just how companies function.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all