Honored Contributor

Re: January 2018 Bird's Nest - Ringing in the New Year

[ Edited ]

@yock  Oh I don't go looking for them, if a higher power wants to send me another one, I'm sure it will happen :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So... I don't know about finches that have been domesticated through breeding as pets... I can tell you that wild finches aka my sparrows don't like change.  It's funny Peewee and her brother Poppi never minded colors - patterns kind of rattled them.  With Presto, it's color.

In the main bird room (aka Poppi's room) I have had a really old and kind of cheap hurricane lamp in there since Poppi and Peewee were babies. 

The lamp doesn't look too different than this one

Image result for hurricane cane lamps

I liked the nightlight feature in the bottom part of the lamp.  My kids have never been in total darkness.  I tend to have those automatic night lights with 7w bulb scattered all over the house.

I noticed before Christmas that the bottom light went out.  Strange I thought because I had just switched out a new bulb.  I took the big glass shade off the top, flipped the lamp over and pulled out the bulb, which was perfect - it hadn't burned out.  When I checked the switch, I noticed it was fine for the main 75 W bulb but heard a sizzling when I tried to get the bottom light to stay on. 

That freaked me out.  So I went online and started checking out hurricane lamps because I know my sparrows don't like drastic changes.  I'm not married to the style of a hurricane lamp so I was a little reluctant to spend $150 on a new one - and that was the low end price.

I got ceiling fans in 3 of the 5 rooms upstairs.  The bathroom and office don't have a fan.  I have the fans disabled so there could never be an accidental beheading and in the main 2 bird rooms, I put white tube socks on the fan blades daily so my little man Poppi can rest without slipping around.  I actually started that when Peewee was slowing down in 2014.

Poppi needs a night light to see when he goes from the fan blade into his cuddle on top of the habitat to sleep.  I've been using the automatic night light but he ain't crazy about it.

So I ordered two ceramic night lamps from Target on 12-24.  One was shaped round like a baseball, the other shaped like a bird - they were both white - for kids rooms.

Target cancelled that order without notifying because the baseball sold out.  You'd think they's ask me if I still wanted the bird, but no.  So last night I re-ordered two ceramic, plug in night lights.

The one round one I ordered was at the store today so I picked it up.  While I was there I looked at table lamps.  I started thinking, what if there is a progressive short in the wires of the hurricane lamp that could set the house on fire.

So I bought a new table lamp.  So far, so good.  He and Presto seem to not be afraid of it during the day and they aren't freaking out now that I have it on in the dark.

Honored Contributor

This is the table lamp I bought.  I would say it's a medium sized lamp

This is the night light that I have immediately in front of the base of the lamp pictured above.  Trying to replicate top light/bottom light of the hurricane lamp. 

Because of the white shade on the table lamp, I had to go down from 75W to 60W.  I happened to notice that Poppi looked at the lamp suspiciously when he flew by it, like it might set him on fire.  OMG - I don't think they know how much I love them.

He seems far more comfortable with 60W in that lamp. 

It will be interesting to see what he does with just the nightlight.  I have both lamps on so it will be a smoother transition from upper light to lower light.

Seriously, the things I do to accommodate them.   

Honored Contributor

If the bird nightlight ever gets here it looks like this:

Honored Contributor

Pig Wears Adorable Hat When She Goes Out Into The Snow

Honored Contributor

Cozy pig in the snow http://ift.tt/2mpR8Ee

Honored Contributor

How much is that doggy in the window?

Honored Contributor

This cat who is demonstrating proper winter bundling. | 31 Pictures That Will Restore Your Faith In Cats

Respected Contributor

The little piggies are just adorable. And Miss  Blackie you sure look spiffy all dressed up. Always love the pictures here and get a lot of smiles from them.Nighttime seems to get here so very quickly this time of the year yet our days are inching into a bit longer than they were. Never could quite figure this out.

Hope all had a super good day. Sleep well.

Honored Contributor

Bernie,  You are such a great and loving critter mama.  If I was a critter looking for a home,  I'd find my way to your home, knowing I'd be treated so well and have the best mama around. Heart