Honored Contributor

Re: January 2018 Bird's Nest - Ringing in the New Year

Dona Gelsinger

Honored Contributor

Hi Birding friends, it's been kind of hectic at work this week :-)  One of the girls I know who is transitioning to a new job in the company on Monday asked me what the countdown was.  I said countdown to what?  She said your last day at work?  I said, girl I don't have time for that - too busy to be counting anything down. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

Hi Birding friends, it's been kind of hectic at work this week :-)  One of the girls I know who is transitioning to a new job in the company on Monday asked me what the countdown was.  I said countdown to what?  She said your last day at work?  I said, girl I don't have time for that - too busy to be counting anything down. 

@Bird mama  Do you have an ideas of what you want to do after you retire? Smiley Happy

DH woke up feeling great, this due to my insisting that he slather on the SportsGel during the night.  He wasn't doing it for a while, and was in agony in the morning.  He is off to the doctor today for a therapy referral, will be able to drive himself now, otherwise, I would have had to and get a wheelchair so don't know if he will even use it down here as once he gets back to work, planning on it tomorrow or Saturday, he will go to his former therapist or chiropractor.  I told him not to overdo it or he would be back in bed.

I took a half gainer on one of the dog dishes,I usually kick it off to a place on the gel mat, because if it gets on the hardwood floor, this is when I slip on, stepped right on it, what a dummy, happened before, but fortunately I landed face down on the long gel pad I have, work area is covered with them, have to learn to look down when I walk.  The girl laid down by my head, the coward was nowhere to be seen, and when she saw I was beginning to get up, began playing trying to lick me, don't allow that, lol.

So, now I am hobbling around, lol, sportsGel for me today.  My poor right knee, it is always the knee that hits the ground when I trip and fall, don't know how much longer it can last, but between falls, it is fine.

It is actually somewhat sunny today, so was able to put the pups out for some fresh air, thank goodness.  They get cabin fever just as people do, at least the girl does.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Border Collie Pup and Rabbit. Border Collie dog art portraits, photographs, information and just plain fun. Also see how artist Kline draws his dog art from only words at drawDOGS.com #drawDOGS http://drawdogs.com/product/dog-art/border-collie-dog-portrait-by-stephen-kline/

Mousie,  I'm sure glad you weren't hurt any worse that your knee.  It's so easy to really break a bone,  twist something, sprain something else or dislocate a joint.  It's sweet that the Girl stayed with you.  I hope you are not too sore from the fall.

I was wondering how your DH was doing  I'm glad he's somewhat better and hope that this painful episode will be a thing of the past too. 

We were up to about 60 today and right now it's 18 with the wind chill down to 2.   I got the water changed in the bird and critter pans before the hoses freeze up again.   I take jugs of fresh water out when I can't fill from the hoses.   

Take care and I hope you aren't too sore.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

https://flic.kr/p/22XXpiJ | Woody in the morning

Respected Contributor

The Scottie and Cardinal pictures are just great Possum. Well my conversations with my feathered friends is short - they emptied out those feeders quickly and then I am not up to re-filling them - I was the last one to get this darn Flu and being older than dirt, it has not been easy at all. Quite miserable and will add, scary too. Many have not been fortunate to get the Flu meds - very few pharmacies have any - the demand way greater than the supply. I lucked out. Got Ricky's after a lot of hours on the phone and traveling. Davey's was obtained as someone had ordered the meds and never picked it up ???? so they called to say they have it for David. And I was told about a tiny Pharmacy, ONLY a pharmacy, nothing else, that had it. Whew. But really hard to breathe and I have had to do a lot of running and I am suppose to be in bed.

Suppose to get warmer today - sure hope so. David is taking the bus today - I just cannot drive him - did drive him to school and pick him up Wednesday and Thursday. He was out of school on Monday and Tuesday. His Dad is real sick and he wants to go spend the weekend with him - torn between the Devil and the sea as he is still on medication and should not be around anyone really sick and his Dad is coughing and wheezing really bad and has NOT gone to a MD. Somehow he lost his insurance - now that is dumb but that is also today's whatever. Grrr. I told David he was not to be around anyone who is that sick, yes, I am here but wear a mask and keep my hands clean with that great hand soap, his Dad does nothing like that. Not happy as his Dad should insist he stay home

Have a great day one and all. Sherry also had the flu and finally got over it so was able to help with the kids. I had them 8 days solid when both were really sick with no help.

Honored Contributor

West Highland terriers I had a black and white terrier growing up..Bonnie and Julie

Honored Contributor

Hope you are feeling better soon.Winifred,  I'm sorry that the flu finally got to you.   I sure hope you are able to rest, drink fluids, and somehow manage to take care of yourself as well as the others.    The flu has been terrible in this area of Missouri and Illinois with schools closing because of sick children and teachers.  The drug stores are out of Tamiflu???.   I had it back around Christmas and am still not totally back to 'normal' (whatever that is for me).   Cough hangs on plus a sinus infection.   My brother had the flu and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia, dehydration and kidney involvement.  Serious stuff for sure.   The CDC sure got it wrong this year.   I don't get how they can be so off the track.   Lots of people are paying a steep price because of their goof up.

Take care of yourself, you are a very dear person to so many of us and we worry about you.  Let us know how you are doing and just rest.  Work will always be there waiting.  You FIRST!!!Heart

Honored Contributor

It's not something I would recommend to anyone else - I don't even bother with the flu shot.  If I understand it, the shot is for last year's flu and the darn flu keeps evolving and people continue to get sick as a dog.

My cold kicked my butt for two weeks but finally moved on.  We are going to be piloting working from home 3 days a week (sometime next month).  I realize I'm retiring at the end of March but yes I will take advantage of the work from home until then, if only to avoid the sick people who come to work.

It started off near 50 degrees with rain this morning.  By around 11 am it was windy, cold and there was sleet falling.  I had my appointment with my financial planner.  I went with the financial people at my bank.  I've had an account at this bank since I was in the second grade - not kidding.  In a couple of years I will have had a relationship with this bank 50 years.

I took 4 hours personal time to accommodate a late arrival this morning and early departure this afternoon.  I have been productive the 4 hours I have been here and will be heading home shortly.  I brought my coupons and shopping list and will hit the grocery store on the way home.

My company observes MLK on Monday so I want a 3 day weekend of relaxation.  I will take down Christmas tomorrow and maybe have to run a local (2 mile radius) errand or two.  It's gonna be cold and I don't know if we are getting more sleet and snow.

@mousiegirl  as far as what I'm gonna do when I retire.  Honestly, there is enough stuff around my house I need to do that could keep me busy for the next 9 months.  I might apply for a job at JCP - love that store and think I would have a good time working there.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise