Honored Contributor

Re: January 2016 - Back Fence

@Epicurean

Cool - just so you know I only received one pic.  There were 2 attachments in the email, one was a pic and the other was a note that said Sent from my IPAD, lol.

Okay guys, Epi sent me a pic and I will post what it looks like in her part of the 'Back Fence'.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Okay, Epi just made me a liar and sent more pics, ha ha ha.

Stay tuned

Honored Contributor

Here's a picture off of Epi's front porch.  Yes that is a wraparound porch.  Yes I am just the littlest bit jealous she has a wraparound porch, lol.

Epi's Front Porch.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Bernie,you and your hubby sure were a handsome couple. How long where you married??  Dam,you never told me you were so young!!!!

snowing like crazy now and getting windy. Washington D.C. Area will be snowbound for days!!!!  A good thing I stocked up at the grocery. So much snow that the snowblower will only work a half hour before getting too hot. No matter,were not going anywhere. daughter said she will shovel out where plow piled up snow at driveway.

Dinner is starting to smell good

Honored Contributor

I'm not that young.

We were married in July 2003 so it was right before my 41st birthday and his 59th birthday.  We were together for 7 years - he died in January 2007.

I looked young because I was happy that day.  I assure you, I've aged since his illness, Mom's illness in 2010 and this flipping thyroid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello there and how is everyone?  Back to work for me.  It's mostly sunny and expected to reach 40 degrees today.  Michigan lucked out and was not impacted by Jonas.

I ordered some new hardware and window coverings for my bay window.  I have the hardware that was left by the previous owner and after looking at it for 14 years and thinking, geez I don't like the setup, I finally got off of dead center and said, Bernie time to change it.

She had some kind of double rod set up.  I believe she had pinch pleat drapes on the traverse rod and then some fancy valance thing on the other rod.  I can't remember how she had it decorated when we did the walk through before buying it.

In the middle of the window - running horizontly, she had a one inch diameter rod that allowed for sheers so if the main drapes/curtains were open (via traverse rod), there was still some privacy starting in the middle of the window.

I like the idea of long curtains and mid-way curtains.  Okay, like cooking, I have no idea what the proper terminology is for window dressings.  I've been buying pinch pleated curtains for years and they are getting hard to find.  Well, I want them to be machine washable and many of the pinch pleated things are dry clean only.

Anyways, the metal traverse rod and the 1 inch diameter wood decorative rod look oddly matched and disproportionate to me.  That room is also more casual and the decor is mission style.

So, here's what I will be putting up on the window.

The complicated double traverse rod set up is coming down and the top rod is going to be this:

JCPenney Home™ Twist Cage 1" Curtain Rod Collection

From this ^^^ rod I am hanging 84" lightblocking, energy saving curtains with a grommet top in sand color

Liz Claiborne® Kathryn Room-Darkening Grommet-Top Curtain Panel

The middle of the window bulking wooden rod is being replaced by this 5/8" loop rod - I want this rod to be less obvious

JCPenney Home™ Twist Loop 5/8" Adjustable Curtain Rod

From this middle of the window rod, I am hanging these sheers in ivory

Liz Claiborne® Lisette Rod-Pocket Sheer Panel

I will be glad to get all of the hardware in the same color family and I think the bigger 1" rod on top and smaller 5/8" rod in the middle will be more complementary.

Trusted Contributor

Bernie, this will look nice.you were way overdue for a  update,LOL!!  

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean

Hey girl, how did you hold up in the snowmaggedon, lol?

Yea I was overdue and even though I've bought replacement curtains over the years I think part of me didn't change the look of the window because DH painted that room.  I painted most of the other rooms.  This room has a ceiling that has some additional trim detail that added interest and I couldn't get the ceiling white and the walls another color because I didn't have the patience.  He did and the room came out perfect.  I've washed the walls and ceiling, changed some of the furniture, but choked on redoing the window (I'm silly).  He probably heard me the other night when I said, that tears it - this cwap has to go.

While he was living, I never told him I hated the complicated rod system, rofl.

Regular Contributor

Oh, my I've been missing out on one of my favorite topics.......houses and decorating them! What a beautiful picture of your porch Epi and the snow and I'd love to see more of your home as well as yours Bernie. I like the hardware you've chosen and look forward to seeing your curtains when installed. Mmmm, that word sounded weird; are curtains installed? Well whatever it's called when it's all finished I'd like a look see! In fact I'd enjoy seeing pics of everyone's home if they don't mind sharing. And Bernie I'd like to see your wedding picture and I'm so sorry you and your husband had such a short time together, but it sounds like they were happy years.

I hope those of you who live in the eastern part of our beautiful country have not encountered hardship from this bad weather that's blown through. I hate to mention how mild our weather has been, but it's been pleasant. However we could have a humdinger by morning.

Happy Monday all! Sue

Honored Contributor

@Queenofo2

Sue, most of everything will be coming in the first order.  The smaller rod could be delayed.  I can take a before and after - I think the hardware thing will be most noticeable to my eye, lol.  If you feel comfortable doing so, email me at bernadettemarie@msn.com regarding any pics with my face in it, lol.