Honored Contributor

Re: January 2016 - Back Fence

Wow Freddie, thanks for mentioning bloodwork.  I had bloodwork drawn on 12-18 and have not received a call from the office which has to mean that the cholesterol was okay.  Since I have this Friday off as a vacation day, I will call the doctor's office and ask that they pull a copy of the labs so I can swing by and pick them up.

My washer, which started her decline (main bearing issue) early last month appears to be in her final days.  The creepy mechanic who came out and looked at it, said he would put in an order for parts (he's subcontracted through my gas company - appliance service plan) and get back with me to let me know one way or the other if it was approved.

I've heard squat and frankly the guy creeped me out so I am in no hurry for him to cross my threshold again (just a feeling, kind of like Criminal Minds or 48 Hours kind of feeling). 

I could continue to use her without the main bearing leaking as long as I kept her load size no bigger than medium sized load.

Well this morning, even on a lightweight medium sized load, she was weeping (frankly crying on the basement floor). 

They don't make anything like they used to and I am not ready for a HE washer and the smells that I heard come with HE washers.  I went to Home Depots website and the GE machine I checked out last month was 10% off, with free delivery.  Best part, earliest delivery date was Friday, in two days when I am having a vacation day.

If I am nothing else, I am a wash woman , so I ordered the washer.  It's gonna cost me $15 for them to haul the old one away and I will probably get a little choked up because she served me well for 8 years.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Good Luck with your new Washer Bernie - Washer before the one I have now was a GE, I was NOT happy with it. Bought it in 1999 and dumped it about 3 years ago - it was still working but I could not stand the noise and constant work on it. I could have kept it as I had maintenance agreements on all my major appliances but the  noise more than anything just drove me insane. The dryer I also bought - and it is a GE - still works like a charm, only have had to replace the thermostat one time. I would croak if I had a washer go out on me in 8 years - mine usually last forever and ever. I have a Maytag HE and love it, have never heard of an odor or anything and mine cleans better than any washer I have ever had. Only thing I do not like is the auto locking lid. LOL. You can reopen it but it has reminded me to put everything in it when I push the button to turn it on. LOL. Mine is computerized which I guess many are these days and I like that aspect - it determines how much water to use, etc. Really neat.

One of our former participants here for years and years is struggling with anxieties for her adult disabled son and her daughter's little boy. Both are in hospitals with different serious health problems. Different hospitals quite some distance away. Crystal, our prayers are with you and yours - Hugs for Craig, your son and Roggie, your grandson.

Honored Contributor

Well, my day yesterday ended a little rocky.  My car wouldn't turn over when I got out of work yesterday at 6pm and I didn't get home (complete with car and tow truck) until 10 pm.  One guy came out to try to jump the car and said, I think it's your starter.  Tow truck guy came out tried to jump the car and said I think it's your starter.

Suffice it to say, I had a late night call with my boss and I didn't go in today.  Guess what, the old car started.

My sister's car should be out of the shop anyday now (fingers crossed) and I'll be back to driving my newer car.

The old camaro is nearly 17 years old and even though she looks almost new, she, like her mama Bernie is not accustomed to being left out in bitter temps.

I think I will be able to run some errands tomorrow as it will be near 40 degrees.  We had snow last night but the roads look good.  The couple of errands I need to run are quickies and I can leave the engine running, rofl.  I think my old girl needs a new starter or solenoid.  I'll buy her what she needs, the timing is just not great with these other expenses.  

The washer should be delivered between 2 and 6 pm tomorrow. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Got several items returned to the Q today; glad to have that off my mind.

Was supposed to have a sleep study done tonight, but because of my weird sleep habit's I had to go in around 11 and since Jim doesn't see well at night he felt it wasn't safe for him to take me to the hospital so I had to cancel. The hospital is in Amarillo and Jim was going to have to stay in a motel and we could have arrived in the afternoon, but he'd have still had to drive to the hospital at night hence the dilemma. Don't know what the dr. will think of my cancellation.

My washer and dryer will be 16 on June 8th and I've been looking for new ones. They are Kitchen Aid and have been good appliances except the dryer heat has one temperature.......HOT!

so I have to be careful with delicate items.

Epi, what's in pre natal vitamins that prevents hair loss? Or does it help growth? Loved the visual of you buying them and the looks it causedSmiley Very Happy

Freddie, really difficult time for Crystal; don't know how she deals with it all.

Bernie, hope you're happy with your new washer and safe driving!

Happy Thursday all! Sue

Regular Contributor

I'm trying to watch The Little Couple while typing this and not having a lot of success. These kids are so cute; Kate and her 8 not so much Smiley Frustrated they just appeared on the Little Couple recording.

Freddie, how's Davey doing in school this year? Hope things are improving.

Spix, your pork ribs and potatoes sounds delicious and Jim would love the sauerkraut so what time did you say dinner is served? Smiley Wink  I think it's really inconsiderate of those squirrel's to hibernate giving Sadie nothing to chase Smiley Wink

Betty, hope all's well in your world.

Well, gotta scrub potatoes to bake.

Happy Thursday (again) all. Sue

Trusted Contributor

Sue, to be honest with you I have no idea what the prenatal vits. Actually do. 

My vitamin and mineral levels were all great. She just said to take them as well as the Rogain. All I can tell you is my hair came back really thick,which I have always had.

i was reLly loosing a lot!!!!  Not just a little to.but where my hair parted it was no hair for a few inches long and about 2 or more wide. Had to wear a hat when I went out....

Honored Contributor

Hello all, yesterday I was a bit exhausted from all the drama the night before and not sleeping well.  Today has been another story - I have been really productive, which always makes me happy.

I ran a couple of errands (bank, doctor's office to pick up blood test results and recycling center).  Cricket (my old car) started each time like a charm.  I have a love affair with this car and talk to her. lol.

I was done with that in about an hour and said, don't stop now Bernie, take down and put away the Christmas tree and decor.  It was time - I was getting to the point of not seeing the lit tree even though it's right in front of me in the family room.  When you are ignoring the holiday stuff, time to go away until next season :-)

Since my current washer is not dead yet, I did my last load in her and thanked her for her service.

Now for the news that has so far made my day.... drum roll please......

My overall cholesterol dropped from 229 (borderline high) to 197 (normal).  My triglycerides dropped from 167 (borderline high) to 109 (normal).  My HDL increased just a little from 40 to 43.  I need to move my rear on that treadmill and that should improve that score.

Okay, my personal cross to bear - LDL (bad cholesterol).  It dropped from 141 (borderline high) to 132.  Borderline starts at 130 so I guess I need to work harder to get the LDL under 130.

My doctor never called to crab at me because I improved in all areas. 

Some of my values regarding hemoglobins in my red cells are still low.  I think I can fix that with an iron supplement every other day.  I've always flirted with anemia, so this didn't even trigger a response with the doctor :-)

I gotta tell you - the cholesterol thing was a load off my mind.  My doctor and I had made a deal - let me try on my own and if I can't drop it, I'll take statins.  

Respected Contributor

Queen Sue, Davey is NOT doing real well - a continuing saga. Called his counselor today and she is going to see if she can get him to attend group counseling they have - I told her to NOT ask him, to tell him. He just refuses to do any work - now how lazy can one be? He is not a stupid boy, just the laziest thing I have ever seen. She is also setting up a parent/teacher meeting with ALL his teachers. We shall see. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh how I wish they were more like my oldest grand. When her Mother died - my daughter - all three girls stayed with me a spell and I worked horrible long hours but it worked out as my parents helped with it a bit for extra hours, etc. Their  Dad had asked for them to stay with me a spell until he could figure out what to do with 3 girls. At any rate the oldest asked to stay with me and he said OK. A perfect grand to stay with her old grandma. I NEVER had to tell her to make her bed, clean up behind herself, study or anything;. She lettered in three sports in high school, lettered in band and lettered as a varsity cheerleader. She also worked at the Redlands Hospital as a Candystriper and was the very first to ever be allowed to work in the emergency room. She was very active in the community and also her last two years of high school had a part time job. Her grades were exceptional. She spoiled me I guess. Hard for me to believe she is now a grandmother. Told you I was really old. She was 46 last August 1st.

Been a long day but got some things done - biggest thing for me was to get the bird feeders full again. LOL.

Hope all had a great day!

Trusted Contributor

We are getting ready for another blast of winter.  Merle had to work a show in Laporte so will probably be on the road when the temps drop and snow moves in.  This up and down stuff is not good. They closed a school here because of some kind of virus that has hit.  They are doing a sanitation cleaning.  They say it is not the flu.  Hope they get whatever it is destroyed.  

Freddie, sorry to hear that Davey forgot his aunts pep talk already.   

Bernie hope you have your other car back by now cause I don't think the forecast and your starter are going to like each other much. 

Hope you like your new washer.   I have a front load HE Maytag and I love it.  Of course I am a front load lover from the Westinghouse days with Betty Furness.   Remember the white glove test.    I always leave my washer door slightly ajar when not in use so that gasket gets thoroughly dry.  I wipe it down too after a load.   

Honored Contributor

Well, my washer was never delivered yesterday.  It's a long story, so here is the reader's digest condensed version:

I felt there was trouble when I got no calls by 5:45 pm.  I called home depot installation services (in Texax) three times from 5:45 pm until 8pm.  The delivery agency (here in MI) closed at 6pm so no one had a way to get in touch with anyone.  All I got was, I can do nothing for you.

This morning I called the GE delivery support number on the order confirmation email and based on the accent, was talking to someone on the east coast.  I was informed they changed the delivery date to February 12th when I refused to change the delivery date with one of the girls from TX last night.

I said, what a minute.  Home depot arranges for a delivery, somehow you people lose my washer, and your solution is to inconvenience me more?  When you find the washer and the hoses I want you to keep them.  I called Home Depot customer service, made sure they issued me a credit.

I ordered the same washer from Sears.  Paid $40 for the custom delivery time and God willing, my new washer will be installed tomorrow.