Trusted Contributor

I grew up in a house with only one bathroom, too.  I think the difference was that we did hair, make-up, etc. in our bedrooms and just did the necessary bathroom stuff in the bathroom.  Now I do all that in the bathroom. 

Honored Contributor

It's just the 2 of us and we have 2 full bathrooms.  When we travel what I really miss is the second toilet.  Don't care about double sink.  When we had them in a prior house we were never in the bathroom at the same time.  Who does that?  But a powder room is a big plus, IMO.

Respected Contributor

We had 1 bathroom--for 4 of us. Now for the 2 of us.

'Truly a luxury having more than 1. I'd be cleaning like crazy additional bathrooms.

Enjoy your trip and your bathrooms at home.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in a family of 9 people, one bathroom, one sink. I remember only one time I needed the bathroom when someone else was in it. 

Super Contributor

For most of my 72 years have always had 2 bathrooms, can't imagine being without.  I am now constantly thinking about a new bathroom for me, I have the 60's old tub, in perfect condition with matching toilet and tile, toilet has been replaced and matched perfectly, in coral!  Tile also holding up.  I imagine previous owners did not use this bathroom much and we did totally replace master bath, that had shower only.

I know for resale value you should always have one tub, but also figure we both will be gone at that point.  Sounds easy to use master shower but just set in my old age of my own bathroom.  Haven't gone to the drawing board yet, only in my head.  But what a mess it will make.  Not sure if I am up for that!  Stepping over the tub does concern me?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  - Isn't it a good feeling coming back home and sleeping in your own bed?  I was out of town this week and I slept like a baby when I got back home.  Such a comforting feeling.  Home sweet home.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

My grandparents had a pump in the kitchen for water and an outhouse, until they moved and that was the early 60's in N.J. Growing up in NJ, we had one bath for my folks, sister and myself. I now have 2 1/2 baths for just me.

Respected Contributor

My MIL is one of 7 kids. Growing up 9 people in small 1.5 story house. Needless to say all the kids left the house/got married at 18-20 years old 

Respected Contributor

Grew up with one and a half bathrooms for 8 people.  It did not seem to be a problem.  Double sinks, ehh. A lot of hype. We have done very well without them.  Single sinks work just as well. 

We raised our family in a large 4 bedroom, 3 bath home.  A bathtub was a must. Kids and pets all used it. As we all grew older some prefered a shower more. Good to have both,

Honored Contributor

I grew up in a one bathroom house.  5 kids and my parents but it was a triple decker and my grandparents lived on the top floor so if we had to, we could use their bathroom.  Every house I lived in as an adult had 2 or 2.5  bathrooms.