Respected Contributor

Re: It's Friday night and you're 16....

Nothing. I was a fat kid, had no friends, and certainly no boys were interested in me. My adolesence was no fun.

Honored Contributor

I was a very good girl at 16.... I was a senior in high school with straight A's... no foolin around.... just studied and thats it.... I was a very boring teenager!

Super Contributor

At home watching TV. I was shy and didn't have much of a social life.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Nothing. I was a fat kid, had no friends, and certainly no boys were interested in me. My adolesence was no fun.

@GoneButNotForgotten ,

I too was a fat kid, working at a Drive-in/Eat-in Restaurant. That was when I was 12 to 14 years old. I had friends, many of which that worked there were in the United States Air Force, an Air Base just out of town.

Girls? First off, I was scared of girls, and I was also working 5 nights a week. Before 16, actually my Sophomore year, while still working there, I went on a diet.

Who knew anything about a diet back in 1954? All I knew is to eat less/skip the curly-Q French fries/no malts/no ice cream sundaes for me. Not an easy task for me at 15 and working around good food for 9-10 hours 5 nights a week. 

I did however lose 50lbs before I was 16 and able to drive my own car. Girls? Not a problem, time off to date was the problem.

While we were both "fat kids", we obviously looked at, and lived life differently. And me having a few friends might have  helped, even though they threw their share of Fat Jokes at me.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Babysitting, earning my spending money.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten ,

I too was a fat kid, working at a Drive-in/Eat-in Restaurant. That was when I was 12 to 14 years old. I had friends, many of which that worked there were in the United States Air Force, an Air Base just out of town.

Girls? First off, I was scared of girls, and I was also working 5 nights a week. Before 16, actually my Sophomore year, while still working there, I went on a diet.

Who knew anything about a diet back in 1954? All I knew is to eat less/skip the curly-Q French fries/no malts/no ice cream sundaes for me. Not an easy task for me at 15 and working around good food for 9-10 hours 5 nights a week. 

I did however lose 50lbs before I was 16 and able to drive my own car. Girls? Not a problem, time off to date was the problem.

While we were both "fat kids", we obviously looked at, and lived life differently. And me having a few friends might have  helped, even though they threw their share of Fat Jokes at me.

hckynut 

Yes, having friends would have helped. But I'd had too many fat "jokes" thrown at me by supposed "friends", that I gave up trying. I grew up very wary of most people, and it took me a long time to get over it.

Honored Contributor

I assume growing up for girls that were what were called "fat" was probably harder than boys. That I can only speculate being the opposite gender.

My growing up was probably different because I was out working and around all people several years,and more, older than me. Grew up fast and learned the $$$ business world much sooner than most kids my age.

Working with Air Force men also showed me things i did not know prior to working with them. Was that a good or bad thing?  At times I did not like it, but soon enough, that was part of becoming an adult male.

My primary goals was neither friends or girls at that time, it was making $$$. With my mother raising myself and 3 older sisters by herself almost all my life. Her wish was to get her family out of the Public Housing Projects where we grew up. My $$$ went to help her get her wish.

School and how many friends I had were not important to me. Being independent was something my mom taught me starting with my 1st job, a paper route, when I was 8 years old. 

I was fairly smart in school, which was a Catholic Grade School. I grasped most topics pretty quickly, especially math and english.

Working till 1am  on 2-3 school nights didn't effect my ability to learn. Study? Didn't do much because of working and less sleep than other kids, but I guess my ability to learn and remember kept my grades pretty good.

Another chapter of my life I don't expect many to read. But typing different chapters of my life I have done on these forums for many, many years now. Can't seem to help myself.

hckynut(john) 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I played in a band starting when I was 14. Chances are I was playing somewhere on the weekend. I rarely went out since I rarely had time off. The only good thing (at least back then) was my boyfriend was also part of the band.

Respected Contributor

I would be babysitting. I babysat most weekends. The family had three girls and then  two more in diapers at the same time. I was thankful to be starting college and away from home. She was a nurse and loved babies.

Respected Contributor

On a date, with friends, at a dance, at a sleepover or all of the above!