Honored Contributor

Re: Is your cat toilet trained?

@Sooner wrote:

Our Siamese cat trained herself.  She would always run to the bathroom with us.  You could NOT get in there without her no matter how you tried.  She would sit in front of you and stare at you.

One day there she was, sitting on the seat p'ing in the water.  She would scratch around the rim of the toilet seat and hop down, satisfied with herself.   We did not teach her.  She did that but used the litter box as well.

@Sooner THAT is amazing!  I had heard Siamese cats were smart!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was in high school, we had a cat that would pee right over the drain in the bathtub.

We did not train him to do that.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Anything ANY of my cats did was of their own free will, usually against my wishes.  Woman Wink

Although my DH kinda sorta taught our Millie cat her "Gryffindor" trick.

He always  left one of his bucket hats on the entryway half-wall to wear to get the mail.  If he walked near there, Millie'd jump up and step into the hat.  So he'd say "Gryffindor!" and make a big to-do about her.  Got to be automatic.  It WAS cute.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Our Siamese cat trained herself.  She would always run to the bathroom with us.  You could NOT get in there without her no matter how you tried.  She would sit in front of you and stare at you.

One day there she was, sitting on the seat p'ing in the water.  She would scratch around the rim of the toilet seat and hop down, satisfied with herself.   We did not teach her.  She did that but used the litter box as well.

@Sooner THAT is amazing!  I had heard Siamese cats were smart!

That cat came from a whole line of brilliant but, shall we say, Ill tempered?, ancestors?  This cat was a female, and was about or under 12 weeks old when we got the sweet angel--who promptly chased the dog under the dining room table.  My dad called it Top Cat, and soon we all referred to it as "he."

It terrorized the neighborhood dogs and a few people.  It turned the clock radio off immediately if the buzzer came on, flying through the house to swat the sleep lever; teased my mother unmercifully; ruled the hillside; walked under the horses but was never stepped on; and a zillion other things I could tell.

I took it to the vet for shots one year and he was filling out the paper work and from the carrier you'd think a lion was trapped inside from the growls and shrieks, and a leg with claws out was sticking out flailing for something to tear up.

The vet shuddered and said "Whew!  That is a big old MEAN tom cat."  I said no, it is a spayed female and you should know that."  He said "Somehow I never remember after we do the shots, and of course YOU hold the cat because it is more comfortable that way. . . "  And he looked up and we both laughed.  So did his 6'3 big old assistant who was 6 feet away laughing. 

Respected Contributor

A friend of mine "inherited" an older cat from her son. She hated the mess of the littler box & asked if I thought she could train it to use the commode. She doesn't have a computer, or do anything technical. I looked on Youtube & sure enough, there was a video showing a toilet seat for cats & how to train them. She went to the pet store & talked to someone there, & bought the set up. She had that cat trained in a very short time. I don't know much about cats, but was amazed that she was able to train an older cat. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reminds me of the movie Meet the Parents with Ben Stiller. Robert DeNiro(sp) had a cat that was toilet trained. Ben Stiller accidentally flushed the cat. (Cat was ok) That movie was so funny!

Valued Contributor

Can't imagine sharing a toilet with a cat or any other animal. Blech.