Honored Contributor

Re: Is this my "Imagination"? Commercials

When most commercials come on, I catch a few minutes of QVC. So glad that I can fast-forward through the daytime soap opera commercials because some of the are tasteless in my opinion.
Honored Contributor

Someone with a degree in Advertising has decided that the louder the better when actually all it does is provide exercise for the fingers of those with controls....  I find it SO annoying that I do mute commercials, and yes, I'm finding many that I accidently listen to, to be on the verge of disgusting.

I also find action movies extremely hard to watch because of the noise variance.  And on top of that much of the movies are shot SO dark that I can't see any of the action.... between the noise and the darkness I gave up watching TUT and rarely watch many movies.... unless they are out and out comedies~!  (Except the new Jurassic Park, can't wait for that one even if it's dark and too loud!)..... Woman Wink  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Ever since they made that law about this I have noticed, at least with my cable co and in my market, that the commercials have no longer been louder than programming.    For this, I'm glad.

If some carriers aren't complying, then maybe something should be done about it.  It's been quite a while now.

Granted, I don't watch a lot of commercials anymore but I'm frequently on my little desk or kitchen tv so I cannot FF through commercial segments and I cannot even remember the last time I heard one that was louder than the rest of the volume.

Respected Contributor

I also record programs and then fast forward through commercials.  The law may state that commercials can't be louder than the regular programming, but they often are.  BTW, ever notice that all programs have commercials at the same time?

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I also record programs and then fast forward through commercials.  The law may state that commercials can't be louder than the regular programming, but they often are.  BTW, ever notice that all programs have commercials at the same time?

di-mc  we do the same, in fact I am at the point if it isn;t recorded, I rarely watch it, except the news of course. Yes, they sure do all have commercials at the same time, very often the same ones.

The law did change about the loudness, but here most of them are. Look up the law and see how difficult it is to report on it. Almost  impossible, and calling the TV station doesn't help either. So we watch as many PBS as we can, only one station here, and record the rest.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Super Contributor

Back in the late 70s/early 80s we bought a TV that was advertised to prevent the commercials from getting any louder than the TV shows. The brand was Quasar, if anyone else remembers this brand. So commercials have been doing this to get our attention for years and years.

What I can't stand is screaming local commercials and the women who mimic the Kardashians in their speech patterns. It's pervasive! No longer just a California thing. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren