Honored Contributor

Re: Is there something fishy with the Covid numbers?

@Foxxee ........I think he is just going by whats reported on the news.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I agree with previous posts.  I would think the "missing" 1000 cases are those who are still sick and/or hospitalized.  (i.e., Neither dead nor healed).

Esteemed Contributor

No, that does not make sense, if this is what they are saying. 

But re: these numbers I know that it was reported that a county neighboring mine had 2 deaths. Now, all of a sudden it is 1 death there.

Also, the mayor of that county took to fb to say the arkansas dept of health is not doing a great job of reporting the numbers or being in touch with the mayor. So, I am not sure what to think, quite frankly. 

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  Quite possibly those 1,000 are still in the "treatment" phase. ?

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

There's a lot "fishy" about the numbers from all over the country.  

Just watch and see - we've been misinformed about numbers, cause of death, etc.  Investigations going on.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't answer your question but this whole outbreak has been full of holes. It is a very serious virus but in many areas including mine most of the outbreaks were in nursing homes. In my area 80% were in nursing homes. No one bothered to mention that until recently doctors in my area have been speaking up. Also people who go to the ER for another illness and contract the virus and die, their cause of death is listed as Covid-19, Even though the original illness may have been more of a contributing factor. Be careful what you hear from the media and believe only half of it. Before anyone jumps all over me I do know someone who was not in a nursing home who was in terrible shape. He has been in the hospital since March but is finally coming out of it. He was on a cruise ship prior to gettiing the disease. I am not downplaying this because it has taken so many lives. Just getting fed up with the way the media has frightened some people to death.

Respected Contributor

Here are some facts to give perspective:  

We have only tested 1-2% of the population so we actually don't know how big a number has been infected.

When New York State did a widespread testing just to see what the true infection rate is, they found NYState actually had about 14% infected.  That was a huge surprise.  NYCity showed 21% infected.

So with such a small number of tests actually done, it is really hiding the actual numbers of infected.  The former head of the CDC said yesterday the numbers infected are roughly 8-10 times what is currently reported.

Also there are statistice for normal deaths not attributed to Covid-19 and they are currently soaring.  NJ has 5500 MORE deaths than normal for this time period that are not attributed to Covid-19 so why so many more dying?  Were they really covid-19 after all.  Other countries have also seen the same dramatic jump in deaths.

Respected Contributor

I'm curious as to why if we are staying in place, wearing masks,etc. this doesn't seem to be getting any better? 

Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I'm curious as to why if we are staying in place, wearing masks,etc. this doesn't seem to be getting any better? 

But it has changed, the graphs no longer show the path going straight up, but beginning to curve everywhere.  That doesn't mean the virus is decreasing, it only means our stay at home and distancing has started to work and we have not overwhelmed the hospitals.  If your infection rates are continuing to go up it is because you are finally testing more people.  

Problem is that is the ONLY thing that has changed.  Only a vaccine will actually end all this.

Honored Contributor

The extra 1000 would be the people who are still active.  My state will not even report "recovered" cases.  Apparently, there's more than one definition of recovered and they don't want to muddy the waters?  IMO the waters are already muddied since Confirmed cases really isn't just confirmed cases, but confirmed cases + probable cases.  And, we really don't know the fatality percentage since we don't know how many people contract the virus but never get sick.  So, we only know that it is very contaigous, but not how deadly it is. 

The CDC actually keeps two pages with numbers of cases on it which are considerably different.  There's the one with the numbers that get reported on the news.  On that page you have to click on the fine print to see what constitutes the number of cases which is confirmed + probable and then it delineates what "probable" means.  The other page is Provisional Deaths which rely on death certificate data and only shows deaths.  Since it can take awhile for death certificates to be returned, it's considered stale data. To add to the confusion, if the code for Covid 19 is put on the Death Certificate even if it is not the primary cause of death, it gets counted as a Covid 19 death.  So, the press and the CDC consider the numbers you see on TV to be more accurate because they are more up to date.  However, I consider the provisional numbers more accurate although stale or behind the curve so to speak.  The real number is more than likely somewhere in between at least for deaths.  Since the provisional data does not include active cases, that cannot be used for reporting purposes because then you would be mixing apples and oranges between deaths and number of cases.