Honored Contributor

Re: Is there something fishy with the Covid numbers?

I think the actual numbers are much higher than being reported because the started testing late.

Super Contributor

I don’t follow conspiracy theories, but do question the accuracy of reporting.  I can imagine that some areas are overwhelmed and reporting is not up to date.  

And how accurate can reporting be when meat processing plants in Nebraska, for example, are not reporting their positive cases citing privacy issues with a gag order  issued by the state.  It is unfortunate for the healthcare community and residents of the state.  How can you be prepared?  Knowledge is power...at least that is what I learned.  

Honored Contributor

@lovinglife wrote:

I don’t follow conspiracy theories, but do question the accuracy of reporting.  I can imagine that some areas are overwhelmed and reporting is not up to date.  

And how accurate can reporting be when meat processing plants in Nebraska, for example, are not reporting their positive cases citing privacy issues with a gag order  issued by the state.  It is unfortunate for the healthcare community and residents of the state.  How can you be prepared?  Knowledge is power...at least that is what I learned.  

I totally agree with this, @lovinglife. I don't understand the privacy issue here at all.

But I think a couple posters were actually hinting that it's an overcount, not an undercount. That's what I was responding to in my post.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I fervently hope that posts that seem to question the amount of virus infections, surviving victims, and those who did not survive will not be questioned here on these boards.  This is evidently the latest conspiracy theory cooked up by a group of people with something to hide

The only way to survive this virus is to be truthful.  And to test and trace sources and to follow the latest guidelines that were written by the CDC.  Hoping and wishing it will go away won’t fix things.  Belief in physicians and scientists, adhering to their guidelines, will eventually bring us back.  Of course, we are all worried about the economy.  But the solution, as many have said, is to manage and eliminate this viral crisis so that people feel confident in resuming their prior lives.  Many people are rightly very nervous.

@PamfromCT   Absolutely,positively 100% right!!  Well said.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Yup. I feel the numbers are being padded. The CDC put out their numbers for my state on 5-1. The actually Covid cases were miniscule. The article stated that it takes a few weeks for the death certificates to be noted and that's what made the HUGE difference in the numbers. 

@ID2 Numbers being padded?  Ridiculous. To what end,to what advantage?  Silly talk and thinking.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Contributor

It's not ridicious ID2.  Follow the money.  More COVID19=more money for your state.

Trusted Contributor

I don't get the big deal with Nebraska not giving the numbers on meat packing places. They're still including the positives in the count. Around here we have no idea where the positives ae from unless they make themselves known. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lovemymaltese wrote:

It's not ridicious ID2.  Follow the money.  More COVID19=more money for your state.

Also, the higher the numbers, the more frightened the public becomes, the easier it is to control the public.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

I can't answer your question but this whole outbreak has been full of holes. It is a very serious virus but in many areas including mine most of the outbreaks were in nursing homes. In my area 80% were in nursing homes. No one bothered to mention that until recently doctors in my area have been speaking up. Also people who go to the ER for another illness and contract the virus and die, their cause of death is listed as Covid-19, Even though the original illness may have been more of a contributing factor. Be careful what you hear from the media and believe only half of it. Before anyone jumps all over me I do know someone who was not in a nursing home who was in terrible shape. He has been in the hospital since March but is finally coming out of it. He was on a cruise ship prior to gettiing the disease. I am not downplaying this because it has taken so many lives. Just getting fed up with the way the media has frightened some people to death.

@Tricolor 

In my state the Nursing Home wave started about 2 - 3 weeks after the initial wave.

Makes sense, it was transmitted in by workers who picked it up and carried it in, took @ 14 days to develop.

Also, to OP  @Imaoldhippie in my state those missing 1000 are reported as “pending.”   MOST of us have to wait 10 or so days for results.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

PamfromCT

I agree, very well said!