Honored Contributor

Is there something fishy with the Covid numbers?

I am a far cry from a mathmatical person.  I do good to figure out % discounts.  But hubby is and he has been talking about the numbers being reported about the Covid reports.

I am going to give an example to clarify things plus make it easy on this math challanged gal.

Reports say (for example)  that 4,000 have CV19, 1,000 of those died, and 2,000 recovered.  So that leaves 1,000 unknown????

Can anyone explain the unknown 1,000? 

Hubby thinks something is fishy and I am beginning to think so too.  What,  we just dont know.  But its not adding up.  Even I can see that.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: Is there something fishy with the Covid numbers?

Just sharing a theory here @Imaoldhippie 

I think a person needs to have a negative test result to be considered recovered.  Maybe the 1,000 people are still going through it or haven't had their test repeated.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

4,000=cumulative Covid cases

1,000=died

2,000=recovered 

1,000=active cases

At least that's how it's figured in my state.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Exactly. It's not rocket science for heavens sake. It just requires a modicum of critical thinking, but it's more fun for some people to buy into crazy conspiracy theories.

The 1,000 are the still sick people who haven't died or recovered. At my hospital you have to have 2 negative tests 48 hours apart to be considered recovered from Covid 19. This a strange virus that doesn't follow the usual recovery guidelines. I see people who were moderately ill all of a sudden go down the drain after 10 days.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette . That's how I see it. 1000 dead, 2000 recovered and 1000 still battling the disease. They are nneither dead nor recovered. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also think the unaccounted in your example are those still recovering or even possibly did not get a second test to confirm they have recovered (maybe tested positive at a testing facility and were able to stay at home but didn’t bother to get a second test to confirm recovery).   We had one lady in our county who was just released yesterday and was in our local hospital a month so sometimes it’s a long recovery too. 

Respected Contributor

I know someone who had the virus. For her to be be declared virus free she had to have 3 negative tests. Until then she was considered a person who still had the virus.

Honored Contributor

I agree with those thinking the "missing" 1000 are most likely either not recovered or not tested again so as to be declared recovered -  especially if they were isolating at home.

I also think we should all think of how those numbers are compiled.  I'm assuming they come from hundreds (thousands more likely) of places.  What's the likelihood that on any one day every department in every hospitel, every worker in every nursing home, every employee in every prison, every executive in every corporation reports accurately at the same time?

I'm cynical -  think there are some lies being told, but I'm not in anyway thinking that as this sorts out we'll know a pinpointed number nor do I expect the final number will be statistically different up or down from what lots of us have been following already.  Off by 25% -  nope.  Not drinking that Kool-aid.

Esteemed Contributor

I fervently hope that posts that seem to question the amount of virus infections, surviving victims, and those who did not survive will not be questioned here on these boards.  This is evidently the latest conspiracy theory cooked up by a group of people with something to hide

The only way to survive this virus is to be truthful.  And to test and trace sources and to follow the latest guidelines that were written by the CDC.  Hoping and wishing it will go away won’t fix things.  Belief in physicians and scientists, adhering to their guidelines, will eventually bring us back.  Of course, we are all worried about the economy.  But the solution, as many have said, is to manage and eliminate this viral crisis so that people feel confident in resuming their prior lives.  Many people are rightly very nervous.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm seeing number of cases, recovered, and deaths.  

The number of those tested for antibodies is being included with all cases that have been reported.

The remaining could be those still hospitalized.  It also could be how many have positive antibodies, but were asymptomatic or mild cases.  Haven't seen that reported, though.