Respected Contributor

Re: Is there a particular gift you don’t care to receive for the holidays?

The only gifts I receive are from my children, godchildren and best friend at Christmas.  I don't exchange gifts with DH or any of my other realitives or friends.  Those that do give me gifts have been rather thoughtful and I am always getting unique gifts that I always appreciate. 

Honored Contributor

Had to stop and think --but I perfer no gifts at all--I really like gift cards ---I have everything--- and probably way more, that I need and if I want something--I buy it. But then, I have 2 adult kids that want to give me gifts no matter what I say--I do find something I am thinking about and let them get it for me--this year , for my b-day, it was an Apple watch and maybe for Xmas I will request an ergonomic office chair---

Respected Contributor

NO CHOTCHKEES!!!!

and YES I know the spelling is "tchotchke"!!! )

A dust collector by any other name.....

NO GIFTS. 

I don't give or want to get "gifts".

Not when Christmas starts in JUNE on QVC and in JULY in most other stores.

It took YEARS to convince certain family members at first, because they thought it was necessary, but they learned over time. We're ALL in our late 60s and have everything we want or can buy what we need. My sister is still in the "I can't throw this out because it was ______'s" ....who's been dead and buried for decades already!!!

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

If someone thinks of me and buys me a gift ,I'll cherish it forever. I'm not snooty and pick and choose the gifts I receive. I'm grateful.

@ID2 Well, how about people who don't have the room to cherish it forever?  Don't like it, are allergic to it, can't eat it etc.  One doesn't have to want something or keep something to be a grateful person.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

I told all my family members years ago: I want no gifts at any time for any reason.

They have all complied, including my wife. If I want something, I buy it myself.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn  - Agree with you.  Hubby and I have everything we need and we buy what we need during the year.  

Esteemed Contributor

Great responses! I have to agree with the majority - anything that is scented has to be donated. I'm so sensitive to chemicals and scents. Some products are so over scented, they give me headache. You ladies and gentlemen rock!

Valued Contributor

I would not like to receive clothing unless it was something I could pick out myself. I just donated a ton of clothing this month, and I seldom even buy it anymore for myself. And this does include "no socks." Also no more knick-knacks (frogs or cats have taken over here) or throws, which I love but have no space to store more. 

Unlike many of you who've commented, I am okay with scented stuff, e.g. body creams, hand cream, bath stuff, and do enjoy Philosophy. Scented candles are nice as most of them don't really bother me.  

@ECBG My mother should have told my dad that. Personally, I would enjoy a frying pan, in particular an electric non-stick skillet. I've always been a fan of small appliances every since childhood. But there was this Christmas morning when I was 7 that went terribly off the rails. My mother opened one of the presents from my dad and me: An electric skillet! Of course we thought she would like it, and she kind of faked it at first until my dad suggested she could go try it out right then and make pancakes. Oh boy, if she had fur, it would have been flying. She later told me she did not consider household appliances to be appropriate presents. Years later, when she was no longer visiting the "beauty salon" so often, I gave her a nifty portable Lady Sunbeam dryer so she could set and dry her hair at home. That's one appliance she loved.

Honored Contributor

@laluzdelmundo 

I think your and my generation probably made that those types of gifts unacceptable. 

Valued Contributor

Me, I am not fussy. My family knows that I like candles, chocolates, socks, calenders, 

anything useful would be appreciated. 

Honored Contributor

It's just the two of us and I would be extremely happy just to share a quiet holiday with husband and call it a day.  I have one person who gives me gifts and I wish they wouldn't.    There are better places for them than here.  We're fine as we are.