Respected Contributor

Re: Is that love in the air? Thousands of tarantulas descend on southeast Colorado

The link is not a video.  It's an interesting story about a misunderstood arachnid.  Poor little things.  They're harmless, unless you're a female tarantula.  I didn't know that tarantulas' life span is over ten years.  The males don't reach se$ual maturity until age 10.  That's when they can mate.   Then they die a couple of months later because the female kills them.  You go girl!  lol

Honored Contributor

Re: Is that love in the air? Thousands of tarantulas descend on southeast Colorado

@Scooby Doo   It's kind of like fish flies in Michigan, lol.  They don't live long (24 hours) and when I worked downtown near the riverfront people would get panicked when a fish fly would land on them.  They don't bite or anything and when I would see a fish fly on someone's clothing I would catch it and take it back outside to do what it was supposed to do since it didn't have long on this earth to do it, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9.  I'll  ask sister and let you know.  Apparently it was one of those things. that sneaked in with freight from overseas.   She did say her stink bugs have disappeared.  I've  lived here 20 years and have never seen a rattlesnake, scorpion, or tarantula.   I've  seen big buck deer, mountain blue birds, elk, roadrunners and skunks.  My son and his buddy used to go out in the desert when we lived in West Texas and they found the nasty critters.  They worked in a pet shop and knew how to handle them. 

Haddon, I found them online.

https://whyy.org/articles/invasive-insect-spreads-beyond-pennsylvania-farms-orchids-backyards/

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Thanks for the article!  I haven't seen those and will ask my DH if he has heard of them.

Thank goodness those desert critters stay out of your yard & neighborhood!  Several years ago there was a dental assistant tell me that she used to live in the southwest and always had to be alert to poisonous snakes.  (I don't remember how we got onto this conversation).  She said that one had to be careful at night they would come out onto the pavement of driveways and once one of them was sitting just outside of her sliding glass door on her patio.

Maybe it just happened to be the area where she lived but boy her telling me that stuck with me and I'm such a baby when it comes to stuff like that!

Esteemed Contributor

One of the best things about living in upstate NY is that we have a relatively short bug season. Mosquitoes, bees, wasps, moths, etc. will be gone soon. Spiders, well that’s another thing.