Respected Contributor

Re: Is it okay to decline visitors?

your friend called and asked and you replied appropriately.  My mother-in-law used to drop in unannounced which I disliked.  I was always gracious since I was taught respect for my elders, but boy did I ever dislike her disrespect.

Respected Contributor

This story reminded me of one that happened.

Within a few days of my daughter being born, my in-laws called and said they wanted to come over with my husband's aunt (mother-in-law's sister).  She was visiting them in Illinois from California. 

I begged my husband to say NO as I was tired, everything around me was a mess, and I was in no shape for entertaining.  I had about one hour of sleep for days!

I was kind of mad at my in-laws for even asking.  Hormones are crazy, and I didn't know what was up.

Well, within an hour or so, there they were.  I have little memory of it, but we do have a photo.  I have always thought they were rather thoughtLESS to have done it to me.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

YES.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

If she knows you teach and knows it is the very first week of school, she should not have even asked to visit. You handled it just right.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

Of course it's fine not everyone considers we have other obligations. If they are good friends they certainly should understand! I feel no further discussion.

For those who live in FL (like I do) here's my scenario lately.  Friend calls and say "we'll be coming down  and thought we'd stop and visit with you. It would be nice to visit some places together, beach and out to dinner".   Sometimes they are coming with their children/friend/others.  

My reply:  Are you ASKING to stay at my house? How long do you plan to be here? Where do you want to go? (Disney of course or some other theme park). 

So, I kindly say you're welcomed to stay if I don't have any plans (I only have 1 extra room) and I'm not interested in going to any theme parks (been there done that and costly) and dinner sounds great.  I'll check my calendar and let you know.

I always wonder why people think I want to go on their vacation! I love company but when it's good for me!