Respected Contributor

Re: Is it just me? Halloween Treats.

[ Edited ]

Apparently,  I wasn't clear in my post.

Of course, I don't see anything wrong with giving out large candy bars. It's what we hoped for when I was a kid!🍫What I was asking about was handing out beer.

From most of the replies, I guess I got my answer.  It is me! I'm either too old or too prudey.

I don't think handing out beer, at your door, during trick or treating is appropriate or necessary! It has nothing to do with the kids, the holiday, tradition or anything connected with it and why the adults should need or want it is beyond me!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

If you can afford it, yes, hand out full size candy bars.  The beer.....NO.  T-T is for the kids.  If the adults want beer, get a baby sitter and let them have their own party.  Not a good example for kids.

This t-t business has gotten way out of hand.

Honored Contributor

Beer-bad idea.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

no to handing out beer....and definitely NO to someone in our neighborhood who was handing out Kraft Singles American cheese.....REALLY!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a kid we knocked and when the door was opened we asked "do you want any Halloween singing?". Yep we had to sing a Halloween song to get a treat. Sometimes in lieu of a song we'd do a Halloween poem.

That was a smallish town in Pa. Maybe the only place in the whole United States of America kids did that. Hmmm, I wonder if they still do that there.

Honored Contributor

I think handing out beer to the adults is about as bad as a lot of other decisions I hear about.  But hey I don't make the rules.

People mostly don't raise kids any way these days, so what does it matter any more?

Full size candy?  Heck give 'em a box of Godiva if you want. Whatever anyone wants, give it to 'em.  Give then a box of candy and a new cell phone.  .  .

Super Contributor

The neighborhood my son and his family live in is Halloween CRAZY. It is a tradition that the adults have coolers on wheels that they drag along filled with beer and they drink along the path as they follow the kids trick or treating from house to house. 

I find it a really sad tradition. Lots of the adults are drunk before dark. Not a nice example for the kiddos. Also, neighborhood disputes break out as the evening gets later, not to mention domestic disputes as well. I feel so sorry for the kids who have to live through this and witness this in their families and neighborhoods on what is supposed to be a day of joy and fun for them.  Too many happy times are ruined by over indulging. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I get it that people can enjoy a few beers without any harm to anyone. The problem is there are many who don't stop at a few. That's all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I look at it this way, if a parent is needed to go along with their kids trick or treating, then they are younger children.

If they know the neighbor well enough to stop and talk on any other day, why not wait till the little ones are home and go back for a beer?

What are the parents going to do?  Chug the beer?  Because trick or treating is like only a minute or two (seconds, really) and the kids are on to the next house.  Do you think they want to stand around and listen to their parents talk about...stuff  while they finish their *can of beer*?  (big whoop)

It's Halloween!

Besides...are they allowed to walk the streets with an open container of beer?  

Trick or treating with your kids, really should be about the kids.  Have a drink later on when everyone is home.

Honestly, I think the people who are handing out cans of beer ....are trying too hard.  Aren't beer drinkers pretty selective about what brand they drink, anyways?

Just have the bragging rights to handing out full sized candy bars.....  If you're afraid no one will notice, keep a flood light on so people see you're handing out full sized bars...They'll want to be you, next year.  lol

Honored Contributor

I would be concerned about parents drinking and driving although, many parents are responsible, not all are.

Honored Contributor

I hate beer and don't drink it, but I don't care what others do.

Every neighborhood is different.  Some have block parties serve alcohol.  My daughters neighborhood has a bon fire with food and drinks, hard and soft,   on Halloween night.  The kids do not go house to house.  They go from car to car.  It is called Trunk or Treat.

It was picked up by the local newspaper this year and my granddaughter was on the front page.

If you do not approve of something, you don't have to participate.  I am greatly bothered by people who judge and try to push their values on others.