Frequent Contributor

Re: Is it just me? Halloween Treats.

I have no problem with the large candy bars if someone could afford to do that. I would not be a fan of giving out beer. One of my FB friends was giving out candy to the kids and Jell-O shots to the accompanying adults. Not sure when giving out alcohol became a thing, but I would be concerned about my liability. 

Trusted Contributor

I always give out full size candy bars, it's only once a year, so what the heck.  As for the beer, no problem as long as it only goes to the adults.  

Honored Contributor

That is a tradition at some of the houses in my neighborhood for many years.

Many people hand out the big candy bars. In fact I bet most people hand out the big candy bars. As for the beer less people hand out beer but it is often offered. Along with a chair to sit and chat.

Honored Contributor

You're right, the kids should be getting at least half a beer. 

Honored Contributor

@manny2   The adults who accompany their kids maybe?

I have not seen a treat or treater at my door for about 12 years now --  when I did live in a treat or treater neighborhood, schools hadn't yet gone so digital that I was able to offer candy to the little ones and pens and pencils to the older kids.  Not sure what I'd offer today in that old neighborhood, but I know I would find a way to differentiate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Handing out beer to adults is okay as long as don't have an open container on the street.   Smiley Indifferent

But I would be concerned about liability issues.  How do they know which adults are legal?

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr Of course adults are enjoying a beer as they wait for kids to T-T.  That's the object of handing out beer (to those who want it)

Beer is  "open".................

Frequent Contributor

I''ve always handed out the large (full size) bars, I don't find out anything odd/wrong with it.  Some of those little treats are just a little too small, and I feel like I would need to give out a handful of those anyway.  As for the beer, it's a person decision.

Valued Contributor

Large candy bars--wonderful!  Beer--nah.  Adults need to be clear-headed to watch over the kids and help them stay safe with traffic and other hazards.

Respected Contributor

I would never do either the full size candy bars or the alcohol. One reason is that I don't think it's a good idea to perpetuate bad/unhealthy habits.