Honored Contributor

Re: Is This Where Entitlement Comes From?

@Kachina624 wrote:

The grandmother gave you the perfect opportunity to express yourself; what did you say? 

@Kachina624,I'm not the one to embarris someone in front of a lot of people.  It's needless for two reasons; it's unkind which (2). causes it to fall upon deaf ears.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jewel22 wrote:

I think the grandmother told the girl to run and get in line fast. That's how cynical I've become.

@Janey2No, I personally was running late on my shot rotation.  The hour was fine. I did see them walking up the parking lot from the opposite direction and the child was in front of her grandmother.  I don't know what was said in the car.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

Yes, I agree.   It reminds me of the time my husband and I went to dinner with another couple.  I was taught a good lesson that I will always remember.

A little girl,  in the booth behind us, kept kicking the bottom of her seat.  It was loud and very annoying but I was not going to say anything and create a scene. 

My friend waited about a minute and when no correction came from the adults,  she leaned over the back of the seat and directly addressed the little girl.  She smiled and said "I'm sure you are having a nice time at the restaurant and you probably don't realize I can feel your kicking, right under my seat."  My friend turned around and that was that.

The little girl stopped kicking and we enjoyed our dinner with little confrontation.  My friend was correct to make sure the child knew her behavior was affecting someone else.

@rrpellGood!

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I'd have ignored. Little girls rushing to get in front of me is not worth me getting annoyed over. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I swear, I had that happen to me the last time I went grocery shopping, and it was an adult who ran ahead.

@ECBG, maybe this is the norm for some folks but not for me. I taught my children better than that, too. People are downright rude.

I truly think I probably would have just stepped back, and let them go ahead of me. Even if you had said something to the grandmother about good manners, etc., it probably wouldn't have took.

I was in line at my vets, and someone ran ahead of me about a month ago. It was busy, and there was a line and one receptionist. Someone came in when it was my turn and rushed in front of me right up to the front. I love, love, loved it when the receptionist said "mrs D., (ME) may I help you, you were here first.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG - You say you don't like to embarrass anyone, but it clearly bothered you.  I'm sure you could've politely suggested that the child rejoin her grandmother behind you instead.

It reminds me of an incident that happened when I was living in England.  At the time a particular store was going to have a shipment of a limited collectible item and they had announced it ahead of time.

Many people were interested and my friend and I went along and were the first there, before the store opened.  Within about 10 minutes a line had formed behind us.  Then from the back I actually heard a woman lean over and whisper to her child (probably 8 or 10 years old) "Just push your way up there to the front.  No one will say anything to a child."  And sure enough, this child just "casually" sidled her way up and pushed in front of us.

I could see the people behind me weren't pleased and I said "Aren't you here with your mother?"  "Yes."  "Then I suggest you return to her in the line.  I'm first and all these people are ahead of you.  We all take our turn in the order we got here."

I didn't raise my voice; I simply said it.  I then shot the mother a look that let her know I had heard and she was very wrong, if she thought she was using her child to push in front.  I got thank you nods from several of the others.

I often wonder how that child turned out, with a mother like that.

Honored Contributor

Little children this age run all over the place at school, jumping in front of their friends, making sure they're first in line for lunch, for the play ground and it's a matter of daily one-upsman with their peers so I can understand how this behavior is engrained.

Unless this is stopped when it's seen (whether at home, at school or at the doctor's office) it will continue.  It's true she's not a baby but 8 years of age is still a little kid and likes being first.  Showing off for grandmother?

With that said yes, if I were the grandmother I'd have collared her and brought her back to where I was in line and tell her why.  If I had been the OP, I would have said something that was not snarky but pointing out that she shouldn't jump in front of people, especially anyone older than herself. Teaching respect of any kind is missing but for elders it's woefully missing today......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Respectfully, I see this as a rambunctious little girl who probably never saw you. 

Honored Contributor

When people try to get in line in front of me, I politely inform them that I'm already in line and point them to the end of the line. That's not creating a scene or trying to embarrass someone that's giving them an option to realize that they made a mistake and correct it, which almost everyone does as soon as they have it pointed out to them.

I wouldn't start by shouting "Hey, no line cutting," which accuses the person of being a cheat and can cause a scene. Just let them know there's already a line.

Honestly, you shouldn't blame the girl or the grandmother if you didn't stick up for yourself.  A big part of a sense of entitlement is never having anyone tell you when you do something wrong, like that teenager with 'affluenza'. 

Honored Contributor

I say it's time to hit the gym so the next time out you win the race.