Honored Contributor

Re: Is This Where Entitlement Comes From?

Making a mountain out of a molehill.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The grandmother gave you the perfect opportunity to express yourself; what did you say? 

@Kachina624,I'm not the one to embarris someone in front of a lot of people.  It's needless for two reasons; it's unkind which (2). causes it to fall upon deaf ears.

@ECBG  If you don't know how to express your displeasure without causing a scene or embarrassing someone, I guess you'll just have to let them take advantage of you. 

@Kachina624,Had I seen her outside of the extremely crowded waiting room I probably would have kindly said "Mam.....

Respected Contributor

You weren't already in line? It sounds like you are blowing this out of proportion.

This story has nothing to do with entitlement. I think that phrase is overused.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

When people try to get in line in front of me, I politely inform them that I'm already in line and point them to the end of the line. That's not creating a scene or trying to embarrass someone that's giving them an option to realize that they made a mistake and correct it, which almost everyone does as soon as they have it pointed out to them.

I wouldn't start by shouting "Hey, no line cutting," which accuses the person of being a cheat and can cause a scene. Just let them know there's already a line.

Honestly, you shouldn't blame the girl or the grandmother if you didn't stick up for yourself.  A big part of a sense of entitlement is never having anyone tell you when you do something wrong, like that teenager with 'affluenza'. 

@ChynnaBlue

ITA ......  I was thinking the same thing.   Unfortunately, some parents are in such a fog that they don't realize how annoying their children are.  Why should we be expected to excuse bad behavior?

Sometimes it's appropriate to diplomatically say something ..... not use the "I didn't want to create a scene" excuse.   There are many ways to communicate with people  that don't create "scenes".  

While good manners are always important, don't try to justify your cowardice by implying your manners prevented you from saying something appropriate.   JMO 

@Tinkrbl44,While I am not a coward, my concern was that the grandmother, who seemed a little "older" might feel less secure about being out alone in public.  You can never tell how something will be taken no matter how kindly it is said.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Having a friend who is a psychiatrist, and my history being a teacher, we have had a full discussion on entitlement and I believe I know where some has come from, which, of course is debatable.

What would you have done OTHER than stepped back?:  Today I went to my allergy doctor's walk in clinic for the allergy shot I have pushed up to the time limit. 

As I approached from one side, an 8 yr old little girl approached with her grandmother from the opposite side.  The girl ran to get in front of me and ran to get into line in front of me. (I was just waiting to see how this young ladie's rudeness of running in front of me would be handled.)  When the girl was about to go up to the receptionist, the grandmother said to me

"Would you mind if I go up there with my granddaughter?"!!!  I couldn't believe it!  I would have called the child to me and said "We don't run ahead of people.  Stand with me please.".

Eight years old is not a baby.  As this child is advancing, she will get older and will continue what she is doing-of course.

I feel that too often we step back when we should open the door to sensitivity.

I would have said, in a loud and carrying voice, "Well, if your granddaughter is so keen on having the doctor stick her with a big fat needle, you go right ahead."

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:  Do you even know if the woman was the grandmother?     

----------

@chrystaltree, I think the quote " do you mind if I go up by my granddaughter" was the giveaway.  Hope you aren't home schooling anyone.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:  Do you even know if the woman was the grandmother?     

----------

@chrystaltree, I think the quote " do you mind if I go up by my granddaughter" was the giveaway.  Hope you aren't home schooling anyone.

@AuntG, Chrystaltree claims to have a job, works from home. Imagine having to work with her. Hard to imagine she is qualified to do much of anything. Of course she thinks she is smarter than Einstein.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 I really don't think that there was much to say without looking like a grouchy lady.She wasn't knocked out of the way by the little girl she was just not as fast as the girl.

Trusted Contributor

I think the entire matter comes down to you being angry for not giving yourself enough time. I would feel just like you if that happened but when I'd examine it, I'd know it was my fault really. Life happens, kids will be kids and not always be corrected, adults sometimes act like kids but probably don't know any better. Don't let it get you down, no biggie...

Honored Contributor

I have a habit of letting moms with little ones go ahead of me in lines.They have a busy time keeping their children in check.I remember those days and so I hope to spread a little kindness with a few simple gestures.Often they say they can wait but I always reply...You have less free time than I do and I don't mind waiting.They always seem really pleased to be considered.