Honored Contributor

Re: Invites to 'Home' Parties

Sometimes if the partygiver is quite close to me, I go just to give them a seat count if they say they need to meet a quota.  I no longer feel any pressure to buy what I don't want. 

Now if I couldalso  learn to resist the cake.....

Respected Contributor

I used to go to these home parties out of obligation. These days I have no problem declining. I had a friend give me a hard time about not going, but I didn't give in. It's obnoxious to pressure your friends and family attend these things. I think these multi-level marketing schemes, which are basically pyramid schemes, are scams. If you have to bully your loved ones into supporting your "business," you're not selling a legit product.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

The last home party I attended was Tastefully Simple and I only went because a relative hosted the party.  Yes I felt obligated to buy something and ended up buying 2 items that were way too expensive.  Granted both items were good but the price was silly to begin with and the s/h was even more ludicrous.  If she does this again (she's already talked about it), I will definitely take a pass. 

My SIL is into these things for everythig.  Home gold parties where you sell your gold, Origami Owl, Pampered Chef, etc.  I just don't attend.  

Respected Contributor

Like most of you,I don't need any of the overpriced junk. I always inform the hostess I will be a seat filler and come for the fellowship. Don't expect me to buy.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

This week I got 2 invitations to jewelry parties. I went to one last year and the stuff is so overpriced. I am retired now and don't wear jewelry like I used to. I have 2 amoires filled with both costume and the good stuff...

They are both friends that are still working and I know they will be miffed if I don't go.

Last year I went to Pampered Chef, Candle Party and Tupperware. I just don't need or want anymore of the things that they sell and I don't like the pressure to host a party of my own at these things.

If your friends will get mad at you for not showing up to a party where you're expected to spend money so that they can get free things, you can find better friends.

Honored Contributor

I am probably only invited to maybe 2 Home Parties a year, and they are usually Pampered Chef and Partylite, and I don't mind going to either of them, I like both of their products, but I do not feel compelled to order each time either, as both are pricey! A personal friend of mine sells both so I usually go to one of each of them per year......That is my limit, and I am not interested in  jewelry or Tupperware, etc. Do not feel obligitated to go, or if you do go , do nt feel like you have to purchase anything. I think that they bank on people feeling obligated to purchase somethine they would not ordinarily buy!

Honored Contributor

I think it is best to be honest and just say you don't go these things. Mom used to call them "demonstrations". If it destroys your friendship what does that tell you.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I also don't do parties for the very same reasons that have already been expressed.   

Respected Contributor

I think something similar is being done on facebook, supposedly a "private" invite, they say "I'm not selling" yeah right! anyway I forget the name of the jewelry, but you personalize it with whatever you want, sports, career,nicknames, etc no word yet on prices, anyone else ever hear of this?

Thanx

Respected Contributor

The worst right now is the It Works! company. They sell wraps that supposedly tighten and firm your body parts (what a scam). Their representatives are the pushiest. It is very cult-like.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu