Esteemed Contributor

This week I got 2 invitations to jewelry parties. I went to one last year and the stuff is so overpriced. I am retired now and don't wear jewelry like I used to. I have 2 amoires filled with both costume and the good stuff...

They are both friends that are still working and I know they will be miffed if I don't go.

Last year I went to Pampered Chef, Candle Party and Tupperware. I just don't need or want anymore of the things that they sell and I don't like the pressure to host a party of my own at these things.

Respected Contributor

Re: Invites to 'Home' Parties

i've been navigating this minefield for some time now and i can only tell you what i tell my friends.  i tell them that i've been to enough of these things that i don't want to do it anymore and that i have enough stuff to last me a lifetime.  no one has been miffed at me at all.  i think they appreciate my honesty or at least they act as though they do.  there have been no hard feelings.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend who was always having parties for everything...and I was always invited...I hate house parties because the stuff is overpriced...usually not anything i would ordinarily purchase .....

Finally I had it...and I told her I had more stuff then I could ever use in my lifetime...and I would appreciate not being asked to anymore of her parties...

She was okay with my decision....and the invites stopped...yet the freindship remained....

Honored Contributor

It's a tough one.  If it were me I would probably go but tell my friend that this is the last time!  I know they all say to please come and you don't have to buy anything and just have "fun" but I always feel pressured to buy at least something.  I agree that most of the stuff is way overpriced!

When my neighborhood was new 23 years ago I went to at least 6-8 "parties" a year! This went on for many years and I have accumulated so much stuff.  I always said that I was never interested in hosting one but even there it's often high pressure.

Now thank goodness people rarely have them here.  I think they have been partied out and everyone is tired of them!

Respected Contributor

My sister used to host parties for different things but I never went.  Then as a consultant on a project, I went to a jewelry one even though I have worn only the same signature gold jewelry pieces.  I liked the colleague so I attended.  Figured what was the least I would spend and got out of there as quickly as I could.

When I got the piece of jewelry, it was horrid and broke soon thereafter.  Chalked it up to experience.

Resented the "recruitment" attempt to become a rep for the schlock.  The commissions are what drive up the price.  For folks who are on a tight budget and attend these gatherings, they are royally taken advantage of.  They are being "used" by their so called friends.

In my mind I liken these "parties" ( I.e., partings from your $ ) to MULTILEVEL marketing schemes.  Exactly who reaps the $ benefits from them ???  Think about it ....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would be honest and say you have more than enough jewelry. I'd leave out the overpriced bit. 

Is is it possible your friends would just like to see you? If you don't see them often that could be part of it. Years ago we used to have a lot of those parties going around the office. I went to quite a few. There were always a couple friends of the hostess who seemed to mostly come for some catch up. Not everyone bought something either. I know I didn't every time. 

As for the hosting your own party. I would just say I really couldn't. Some of the products reps would insist I take the flyer or whatever in case I changed my mind. The only time I had one really pushy is when I had a big order. She gave me the you'd save so much money on this if you had your own party. Since you don't plan on buying that shouldn't be a problem 😉

If you don't want to go and socialize at the party. You could say you "sorry I can't make it then but I'd really like to catch up with you how about you come over (or go out) for lunch next Saturday" or something like that. With a firm alternate plan  offered your friends shouldn't feel too miffed

i hope that helps some

Respected Contributor

These parties are things whose time has come and gone.  This is very timely cuz I was just invited to two family members' "double party".  A lot of people were invited and few even bothered to respond so it is now rescheduled.   

One would think they'd have gotten a clue with the less than enthuusiastic response the first time but obviously not.  Call it what you want but I know of no one that sticks with this stuff and makes money doing it bc after awhlle, people see you coming and avoid you for the very reasons stated here.

Respected Contributor

@bichon_emma wrote:

I would be honest and say you have more than enough jewelry. I'd leave out the overpriced bit. 

Is is it possible your friends would just like to see you? If you don't see them often that could be part of it. Years ago we used to have a lot of those parties going around the office. I went to quite a few. There were always a couple friends of the hostess who seemed to mostly come for some catch up. Not everyone bought something either. I know I didn't every time. 

As for the hosting your own party. I would just say I really couldn't. Some of the products reps would insist I take the flyer or whatever in case I changed my mind. The only time I had one really pushy is when I had a big order. She gave me the you'd save so much money on this if you had your own party. Since you don't plan on buying that shouldn't be a problem 😉

If you don't want to go and socialize at the party. You could say you "sorry I can't make it then but I'd really like to catch up with you how about you come over (or go out) for lunch next Saturday" or something like that. With a firm alternate plan  offered your friends shouldn't feel too miffed

i hope that helps some

If people truly want to catch up with you, it should not involve money or sales.

Honored Contributor

If the ladies will be "miffed" if you don't go and BUY something; that means they aren't really your friends.  So, don't go to those sales parties.  Which aren't parties at all.  When you get invited to them, just be honest.  Thank the them for the invitation and just say that you don't need whatever it is they are selling.  It's not that hard.  Do it once and it will be easier the next time around.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agree with the comment if someone wants to see you or catch up with you, it shouldn't involve money or an invite to a party.  I'll say it again - I personally never have met anyone who can make a living off MLM parties.