Super Contributor

Interesting Names of Children this generation

In a local paper, there were names of children on the Honor Roll, and some of them are quite interesting. Yatziri,Neeko,Zaedyn,Yamileth,Xander,Takoda,Aspyn,Simaya,Cailun,Yaritza,Alekzander,Miyla, Heber. I'd have a hard time learning the spelling of some of these!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Interesting Names of Children this generation

We live in a diverse society. These names reflect their heritage.This is similar to years ago when immigrants of various backgrounds named their children Salvatore, Dominick,Maeve,Aiden, Moishe, Avraham etc.

Honored Contributor

Hey!  I was a teenager in the early 60's.  Family members lived in communes, the real deal!  Ha!  Thank goodness everyone has 'normal' names.

I think it's really funny that (I suspect) many of these people and especially celebrities that are giving their children these interesting names think they're unique but they'll eventually (when the kids start school) that there are a lot of names very similar.

My late husband and I waited 7 years to have our first baby.  We'd talk about names for him or her.  He was busy attending college and then graduate school so that affected some of the names.  

How does the name Sidharrtha (spelled exactly like that) sound.  As far as Xander it's always been short for Alexander in people I know but lately I think it's sounding more hip.  I know 2 people with that nickname.

We always settled on the name Maximillian Xander and we'd call him Max (but we'd always say we were incorporating the MaX for the Xander part.

There were other weird names but perhaps the Lord knew what he was doing (us a favor) because we only had girls (3).  However, the sad part is that in my husband's family there were always males with his first name and his last name is one that an entire town was named after.  There are schools with his last name and he was the last of the direct males.  

I used to ask him if it bothered him and he'd say "No way" but I always wondered.  My daughter had a son after my husband died and gave him my husband's first and last name.

When I contacted one of the schools with my husband's last name they sent my grandson many items (i.e. sweatshirts, book bags, etc) with his middle name on it.  It was fun seeing his name plastered on everything.

Honored Contributor

I lived and worked on a communal farm in 1969 and the women who had babies were naming their kids Moon, Jonah, Jade, Micah, names like that. The names today are just indicative of the times. I pity the poor teaches who are older and have to try and pronounce those names.LOL

Respected Contributor

I am a bit of a names-ophile.  Love looking at what people are naming their children from generation to generation. 

You can often predict how old a person is just from hearing their name.  Donna is approximately 55, and Madison is about 22, and Betty is about 85.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I love Takoda and Aspyn! Both are beautiful to me.

Neeko and Zaedyn sound pretty cool, if I am pronouncing them correctly in my mind. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not a fan of the new names; when these kids become adults some of those names are going to be a hindrance (ties them to a time and a place).  My kids and grandkids (as well as their cousins have very traditional names (Patrick, Evan, Jason, Heather, Courtney etc) which is a good thing as our surnames are long and Polish.  In this computer age there are only so many "space s". allotted to put in your full name ( another very real issue).

Trusted Contributor

@Peaches McPhee - you are right on target with the name Donna...my name is Donna and I turn 55 this July!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the professors I work with is upset because his first grandson is named... Topher. Fears a nickname will be gopher. The man said -- why didn't they name him Christopher, which is a family name, and nickname him Topher -- but the new parents like the name, Topher. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

Since our daughter-i-l isn't on here, these are our granddaughter's names----Evangeline, Delilah, & Penelope! 

Not family names, nor sure where they came from! So far, they are the only ones in their schools with their names.