Honored Contributor

My Medical Mutual insurance went up $85.00 PER WEEK for 2017, today my husband got a letter from Medical Mutual/supplement policy, his went up aprox $15.00 per month.....while $15.00 a month is not a lot, coming up with an extra $85.00 a week is difficult to say the least. Our 'fun money' is gone...and we will have to dip into retirement savings to help out...

I would like DH to call and find out if he can get a different policy but since he had an illness 2 years ago he is concerned about anything happening in the future and won't have adequate insurance to cover it....it's a gamble on which policy to buy.

Honored Contributor

Have you called the insurance company?  Surely that must be an error.  That's an outrageous increase.

Esteemed Contributor

No easy answer for any of this.  Have a daughter with a plan that keeps changing and the records keep disappearing and one week she has insurance and the next week they never heard of her.  Such are the times. Perhaps it will get better.......

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I'm sorry to hear about the increases for both of you.  I'm not familiar with supplemental insurance, does it generally increase each year also?  Who are the underwriters?

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette    @Mom2Dogs   

@Krimpette wrote:

Have you called the insurance company?  Surely that must be an error.  That's an outrageous increase.

I was thinking the same thing .... could very well be a mistake.  

While you have them on the phone, if it turns out to be correct, ask them for suggestions on how you can shave off at least a few dollars from the premium ....   they often have good ideas to consider.

(I hope it's a mistake @Mom2Dogs)

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

@3suwm5 

@bonnielu

@Krimpette

Oh how I wish it was wrong...and yes I did call can complain/inquire, it was like talking to a wall.......it is a very nice policy and when I checked with a different company the price was close to the same but a much higher deductible.......I hope this insurance issue gets 'fixed'.

Our budget is already tight, we don't vacation or spend money on 'extras' anymore.  The one thing we did was my DH purchased a new car and we never would have done that if we knew the 2017 premimum was going up in price as much as it did....we figured there would be a slight increase but we were stunned when we got the notice.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

@3suwm5 

@bonnielu

@Krimpette

Oh how I wish it was wrong...and yes I did call can complain/inquire, it was like talking to a wall.......it is a very nice policy and when I checked with a different company the price was close to the same but a much higher deductible.......I hope this insurance issue gets 'fixed'.

Our budget is already tight, we don't vacation or spend money on 'extras' anymore.  The one thing we did was my DH purchased a new car and we never would have done that if we knew the 2017 premimum was going up in price as much as it did....we figured there would be a slight increase but we were stunned when we got the notice.

@Mom2Dogs  I feel for you, it is so frustrating when there is a big jump and you couldn't really plan for it.  Many hope these things get fixed, it will take some time, if it happens at all.

Honored Contributor

Re: Insurance letter, sigh

[ Edited ]

I'm confused - are you retired? on medicare? Is this a supplement insurance ? or is this just a private insurance ? You need to find an insurance agent that can guide you to more reasonable coverage. Wouldn't it be better to get insurance that covers less or has some deductibles or copays than to be robbed like this?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I'm confused - are you retired? on medicare? Is this a supplement insurance ? or is this just a private insurance ? You need to find an insurance agent that can guide you to more reasonable coverage. Wouldn't it be better to get insurance that covers less or has some deductibles or copays than to be robbed like this?

@151949...my husband is retired, I am not. I did go to a different agent to compare policies, the only other policy that I could enroll in, in my area was just $100.00 lower with a higher deductible....

Esteemed Contributor

THere is no requirement that a married couple both have supplemental Medicare policies from the same insurance company. he can keep his and you can search for a new one.  I strongly urge that you visit the Medicare.gov site and go through the process of getting quotes from several different carriers on line.  DOn't check with just one.  All you need to know is what coverage you want designated by the letter code of the policy type you currently have and you can get multiple quotes for that same policy coverage from different companies.