Trusted Contributor

Incident at a Concert

[ Edited ]

My honey and I went to see Alan Jackson and the concert itself was excellent except the last few minutes two rows in front of us two older very intoxicated men got into a fist fight.  It is a shame people do not know how to manage their alcohol consumption. I enjoy a cocktail, but I can say I have never been drunk. I would get so sick and embarrass myself. I guess I have too much pride to put myself in such a position.

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl   Love Alan Jackson...what fun!  At least the two men saved it for the end of the show!

Honored Contributor

Glad you enjoyed the show and glad that the incident was at the end of it!  This is the reason I stopped going to the majority of shows.  The behavior of some ruin it because they can't or won't control themselves.  There was one particular venue that DH and I really enjoyed going to years ago  It was outside and so lovely and then suddenly people's behaviors became awful and we could no longer see the shows and were leaving early and upset.  It's sad but some people don't even seem to care to see or listen to a concert but just use it as an excuse to get drunk, high, loud, aggressive and out of control!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Calcgirl Sorry about the incident..sigh.

But I am glad to know AJ is not retired as I thought. He was one of my favorites in the 90's and early 2000's, and I've seen him in concert 3 times.

I still think he wrote the most iconic words for 9/11, "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning", we'll ever have..and I believe he was used as a vessel that those beautiful words came through him that night. What would we do without songwriters? Truly a gift.

Esteemed Contributor

I read last month that a couple of County fairs had young people getting into fights and start shooting!

Luckily no one was shot. Looks like you will have to be wanded for entrance into every venue soon....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Incident at a Concert

[ Edited ]

@Calcgirl 

Sadly, this has become the norm at many places.  Love AJ and sorry you had to deal with such nincompoops.

My husband and I had a favorite, outdoor venue for many years.  It was a beautiful setting on the water.

Unfortunately, it became nothing but a big, drunken beerfest.  At a concert for Martina McBride, a woman standing near us was singing so loud, we could not hear Martina.  I made a comment that we didn't pay to hear HER singing, just Martina.

She stopped, but in her stumbling around, her beer spilled all over me and she started singing at the top of her lungs.  We left.

Now, we only go to small indoor concerts with reserved seating.  It seems to eliminate the sloppy drunks.

Honored Contributor

Drunks spoil a lot of things for a lot of people.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman , what motivates people to sing out loud at concerts.  So rude.  I guess the drinking is part of it.

I had a similar experience at a pretty expensive indoor venue.  A guy a couple of seats away from the culprit just turned around and loudly shushed her.  I gave him two thumbs up.  LM

Honored Contributor

I never understood why people want to get drunk at a concert or any other public event and miss the entire show. 

Honored Contributor

Just re- inforces my decison not to attend those type of events any more. Too many people too close together and who knows who will open fire on the crowd.