Honored Contributor

In the market for a new inexpensive emergency phone for car

So... My old phone seems to have died.... it is well over 15 years old.   Very small.... very plain..... It is a  Samsung phone  I bought at Costco for $75.00. I only had it for emergencies... an occasional local long distance call.. but no texting  ever.....really hardly ever thought about it other than charging it every week. It just sits in my purse to be there if I were in the car and the car broke down.

I was only paying $100 a year to stay in the plan for minutes( that I never use up!).  That is really all I want to pay.  It seems wasteful to pay more if I never use the phone. 

Is anyone using a phone that is like how I use a phone( basically not at all)  and is inexpensive  to get minutes for the year? 

I will go to the Tmobll store and ask someone there about getting a new phone  and keep my old account with minutes left. ..... See what is available that is not expensive or fancy.  Question is... IS THAT  POSSIBLE TODAY? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: In the market for a new inexpensive emergency phone for car

@SeaMaiden  Like you, I never use my phone. It stays in my car . all . of . the . time! Only my son has the number. It is never used. Last time was for a flat tire several years ago (different car). I called a tow truck. Mine isn't even charged on a monthly basis. Years ago, a cell phone was in my purse for my family to reach me at all times. My family dynamics have changed; I'm no longer responsible for anyone. Friends use my landline! 

Sorry to hear your phone has died. Have no reason to need a phone to do everything for me either. My brain works fine. Good luck on finding a simple phone without a lot of unnecessary options.  Please let us know what (if anything) you find. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a basic LG flip phone that cost $9.99 & use pay as you go TracFone cards...it works great for me & fits my tight budget. When my phone dies I'll look at the different plans TracFone offers & carry over my minutes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can buy a Tracfone with 1200 or more minutes and a year of service for about $80.  Did you see this week's TSV?  I always seem to find the best deals at HSN.  These are smart phones, not the simple flip phones of yore.  You can probably find a simple phone but by the time you buy minutes it will be more expensive than the smart phone with free minutes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51  Those flip phones were little and handy! I'm kind of sorry to have parted with mine so many years ago. With Lupus and RA, I'm unable to text on my cell if I wanted to do so. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Just within the last 2 days I ordered an LG TracFone from HSN for less than $80 delivered. 1 year? Yes. Transfer unused minutes from my present TracFone? Yes. Cost per month? A tad over $6 a month. 

It has all the bells and whistles like Texting/Wi-Fi access/Internet access, but even though I have been considered a "techie" most of my life going back to 14 years old? I seldom use any of those features.

I use my cell phone for the intended purpose of all telephones ever made. That was to talk with other people when you cannot talk face to face, and also for "emergencies"(as you mentioned). I have a computer and a tablet to use for all the things added to many of my last TracFones, they go unused.

It was/is cheaper for me to upgrade my TracFone every year(been with TracFone for well over 10+ years), as opposed to adding unneeded minutes/bells and whistles.

If you really want a cheaper one, they also have 1 for under $60, delivered.

Check 'em out!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, please explain what you mean by "seems to have died". 

Is it a phone that has a replaceabble battery?  Have you ever changed the battery over the 15 years you've had the phone? Is it possible your phone just has a worn out battery that will no longer charge so the phone is in a coma but not dead?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.