Trusted Contributor

In need of some suggestions and advice PLEASE Friends !

So I am sitting here a bit stunned and at a loss.

To give you a brief backround.

I am in my 50's, and for 32 years I have worked at the same place as a secretary/kind of managing the small office.  I was told just this morning, that my boss is taking an early retirement.  This was very unexpected to say the least.

I need to continue to work, as my husband and I have 2 girls, one in college and the other a Junior in High School.

But I sit here, numb.  How does a person like me, who hates change, HATES CHANGE , move forward and begin again ?!  I have been at the same job for so long, that tells you much , of course I do not like change.

So many thoughts crowding my head this moment, and feeling very LESS THAN right now. I just thought I would retire here, but that is not to be.

Its very new,  HRS NEW ..so the sting is still there...I just dont know the mind set to even take with this. I am not a very over positive individual, but I do know that I could use some suggestions and advice, so I dont lose myself in this and scare myself right into a bumbling mess !!!

Thank you for listening girls. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Re: In need of some suggestions and advice PLEASE Friends !

@Skididdy I am sure this is very difficult, but you can bounce back.  You don't mention what business this is, but maybe your boss is selling or transitioning the pratice.  You may want to ask your boss about whether you could work for the new boss.  Something else you may consider is transitioning to someone your boss dealt with that you had an opportunity to interact with, like a client or purchaser or vendor or supplier.  You can ask if there is an opportnity there for you.  Don't be afraid to tell anyone how fabulous you are and how lucky they would be to work with you.  Don't tell anyone you hate change.  Save that for the forum!

Super Contributor

You might want to post this in Community Chat or among friends for more insight.

Here's wishing you a wonderful new boss, and that all goes well with this transition  

I hate change as well but ALOT had changed for me since my hubby of 43 years passed away. We will survive. Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

@Skididdy..well that stinks....I also dislike out of the blue changes.  

At one point in my career (DH and I are self employed) a large companyv in our town was leaving and of course all their business with it...I was probably around your age at the time.

Of course we did panic a bit, and I looked for other work outside of our buisness.  I had an interview and got the job!! ...but ended up not taking the offer.  I thought who would want me at my age and let's face it...I had not had a boss in many, many years, that would be a double whammy on changes!

My point is... you have a lot of experience and age is probably on your side because from what I hear from other business people we deal with GOOD EMPLOYEES ARE HARD TO FIND....I would either go to an employment agency or in our state there is a listing of businesses on line, you would just need to find that web address...our office is thru job and family services.

Good luck and try not to worry to much.  If it were me I would also sit down this weekend and take a hard look at the budget, to see if there is anything you can cut out, at least for the short term. 

In the end the business leaving did leave a financial void but we picked up new business and things pretty much evened out.

Super Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

You might want to post this in Community Chat or among friends for more insight.

Here's wishing you a wonderful new boss, and that all goes well with this transition  

I hate change as well but ALOT had changed for me since my hubby of 43 years passed away. We will survive. Good luck. 

@Ditzydori  If she starts another thread the Mods will delete one of them and then she loses the replies on the deleted thread so it's better to ask the Mod to MOVE the thread to another forum if that's what the OP wants.

@Skididdy (((((((💖)))))))))) It's hard to change and hard to not worry. I hope it all works out perfect for you!

Trusted Contributor

Don't underestimate the knowledge, skills and expertise you have to offer a new employer. You have been running an office for over 30 years. In today's work force you are not a secretary, you are an administrative assistant. Sit down and make a list of everything you've done over the years to keep your office running smoothly and professionally. Toot your own horn. If we don't stand up for ourselves, who will? I know change can be very scary, but look at it as an adventure. And as another poster said, if the business is being sold, maybe you can work for the new owner. Good luck and stay strong.

Esteemed Contributor

@Skididdy   Since you worked for your boss for 32 years I’m sure you have a repore with him. I suggest you speak to him.He may be able to refer you to another employer. Sometimes in these situations bosses do asssist employees in securing new jobs.

Realize that it’s a big accomplishment to work for one person/ business for 32 years.That says you are loyal & extremely competent.Hold your head high.You’d be an asset to any employer!!

Good luck!,💐 Please stay in touch with us.

Respected Contributor

First, take a deep breath.

Second, find out from your boss what this means to you.  Will the office close?  Will your boss be replaced with someone new?  Is there an HR office you can consult?

Third, depending on your answers from above, ask your boss if he can recommend you to someone he knows- at another company.  Get a letter of recommendation.

Fourth, polish up your resume.  Take a class in job hunting from your local library or workforce development office.

Don't be afraid to ask for support from co-workers, HR, your current boss.  Best of luck!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Skididdy.   The first thing you do after your last day of work is file a claim for unemployment insurance benefits.  In most states it can now be done by phone.  Call your local workforce center (government pages of phone book) and inquire about job search workshops.  Techniques for the job search have changed drastically since you last looked for work.  In order to be competitive, you need to learn what to do to be effective

Relax, maybe you'll end up with a better job.  Consider this an interesting and exciting new experience.  Most people don't like change but sometimes it's good to get us out of a rut.  Thousands of people experience unemployment every year and survive; so will you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Pliqueajour wrote:

@Ditzydori wrote:

@Ditzydori  If she starts another thread the Mods will delete one of them and then she loses the replies on the deleted thread so it's better to ask the Mod to MOVE the thread to another forum if that's what the OP wants.

@Skididdy (((((((💖)))))))))) It's hard to change and hard to not worry. I hope it all works out perfect for you!

@PliqueajourShe can just ask the mods to change the post to an approproate area.