Honored Contributor

Re: In need of some suggestions and advice PLEASE Friends !

I cannot even imagine 32 years in one job.  I thrive on change.  I can understand how upsetting this is for you since you didn't see it coming and obviously never gave a thought to ever working somewhere else or doing something else but the thing to remember, is "it's just a job".  Your life isn't changing.  I smiled when you called yourself a secretary, I have not heard that word in many years.  Now it's administrative assistants and administrative coordinators and executive assistants.  What we called secretaries back in the day.  You need resume, not just because now you will be job hunting but because YOU need to see in writing your experience and your skill set and what you have to offer to prospective employees.  Go to one of the job sites or elsewhere on line and pull up resumes or job descriptions for administrative assistants.  Compare the requirements and skill sets to what you can do and have been doing and you'll just how competetive you are.  I say that because working in a small office means that you had to wear many hats. You have acquired skils you might not realize you have.  Of course you are emotional now but you'll get over that.  Remember, changing jobs might be new for you but it's routine for the rest of us.  I read somewhere that most people work 7-10 jobs in their liftetime.  In manager days, I saw hundreds of resumes and hired scores of people so I know that to be true.  There are no lifetime jobs today.  I think the mindset you have take is that....this was just a job and that job helped you support your family.  It's served it's purpose and now you have take all that experience with you and find another job because you need that income for your family.  You aren't some 22 year old newbie just starting a career; you are an experienced professional with a resume to prove it.  You will be just fine.  And your new job will probably pay more than you make now.  

Honored Contributor

Once you've been in a position for a very long time, it's difficult to find the right fit again.

You might consider working with a temp agency and work with them on assignments that are temp to perm only for your skill set and level.

This way you can interview the companies and who you will be working for to make sure you get the right fit.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Skididdy. I can understand how you feel.  First, take several days to absorb the shock. Then make a list of all of your talents and skills.  You obviously have skills that are impressive or you wouldn't be in the same place this long!!!  Don't sell yourself short;  you certainly are not too old.  You probably have made friendships with others that your business deals with.  Make inquiries, ask if the business is closing of being sold.  Most of all, don't be too hard on yourself.

Wishing you all the best!

Honored Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I wish you all the best as you look for another job.   

It happened to me when I was 59 and was traumatizing. At that time, I'd been working there for 35 years. 

By 2016, it had become a huge international Fortune 500 company. My situation was different than yours.  They had 7,000 employees in this city alone and posted all job openings.  I finally found another job in the same dept though it was a lower level.  

I kept telling myself that I could do anything for 6 years (til I was 65) but it was very difficult.  The only things that really kept me going were my pension and 401k.  Because I'd been there so long I was grandfathered into older style pension where the company paid all of it.

In 2015, the leadership had changed. The leadership team was cruel, lied, and publicly yelled at people, called people names, ridiculed them, told older workers they were stupid because they were old, harassed people, etc.  Appalling.  I saw it happen and tried talking about it in management meetings but was quickly blackballed for not being a 'team' player.  I was ok with that if I had to be a mean, nasty leader in order to be a team player.  Then it happened to me.  I managed to stick it out and retired the day before I turned 62, a Friday.  I had enough PTO to last for a few months so I was paid until it ran out and my retirement date was the date it ran out.  I worked parttime from then through December 2018.

I was heartbroken though.  By the time I retired, I'd spent almost 40 years with that company and held a number of positions.  I gave my all to them and had a great career until those last few years.  

I saw my boss last summer at a farmer's market.  She saw me at the same time and smiled like we were long lost friends as she walked to me.  I just couldn't deal with her so turned and walked the other way.  I won't next time but I'm also not her friend.  I finally forgave her and those above her.  I'll be civil but not friends.

It took 2 years to recover after retiring.  I had so much anger. And then I lost Mom last year and decided to get counseling.  I went through EMDR counseling (amazing!) and we also covered work.  My anger is gone.  I've forgiven everyone. 

The joke is really on them.  I worked parttime in customer service at a midwest grocery store chain and had a blast!  It was a great job and I loved it.  I left in December deciding to retire and live on a lower income.  I received my Medicare card this week and am thrilled.  Medicare and a supplemental policy will cost only 40% of what I've been paying for retiree medical/vision/dental benefits. 

I do charity work, joined a women's group, and my social life is ten time better.  I also help take care of my elderly dad and disabled sister.  I thoroughly enjoy it.  I wouldn't trade this time with Dad for anything.  

Respected Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

HeartHeartHeart

To answer the question...yes the doors are shutting so there is no possible way to stay on.

I have written down all of your wonderful suggestions. You women are filled with wonderful information.   I am going to take the next week to just breath a bit, absorb, and get a grip as they say.  I realize my situation is not very unique, and happens often.  I know things could be much worse.  I was in major panic yesterday, and still am, so my post may have seemed a bit over the top for some, and I am sorry for that.  But unfortunately that is my personality...panic.  I am a rock star when it comes to helping others with there problems, but when it comes to me, I freeze !

Anyways....I thank you from the bottom of my heartHeart for each and every kind , helpful word that you have given to me.

I will take your suggestions with me as I begin this next step in this journey of my life. You are all brilliant and special.

Thank you again soooooo very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heart

@Skididdy

You have gotten some great tips from the posters on this thread!  What a joy to read so many knowledgeable posts!

From your post, I can tell that you are a very special person!  You have the gift of interpersonal skills that seldom can be learned!  I have no doubt that you will end up in a wonderful job that puts to use all of your amazing strengths and opens up exciting and wonderful new experiences! 

Respected Contributor

Sorry for late response. You are highly skilled if you’ve been working as an office mgr for years. Equally important are your loyalty and tenacity, as evidenced by your long tenure in that office. I assume your computer skills are up to date? I was a corporate executive, and I’d have snapped up someone like you in a flash. No doubt you are organized and great at juggling lots of varied tasks to keep a place running smoothly. Change is so difficult, but don’t lose sight of your value.