Honored Contributor

Re: In need of some suggestions and advice PLEASE Friends !

What a kind thing to say, @GingerPeach!🌻    The truth is that I struggle to express myself, so I don't know if I'm helpful but I really do want to be.    A more important truth is that what I've learned and try to apply is a direct result of the incredible teachers, therapists, ministers, and wise friends along the way, so they are the real source.    Thank you for the lovely compliment.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@Skididdy, It does not mean that the office would be closing because the Boss is taking early retirement. You could be the one that would be running things.  It is possible.

Esteemed Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

Don't underestimate the knowledge, skills and expertise you have to offer a new employer. You have been running an office for over 30 years. In today's work force you are not a secretary, you are an administrative assistant. Sit down and make a list of everything you've done over the years to keep your office running smoothly and professionally. Toot your own horn. If we don't stand up for ourselves, who will? I know change can be very scary, but look at it as an adventure. And as another poster said, if the business is being sold, maybe you can work for the new owner. Good luck and stay strong.

She shouldn't sell herself short.  If she's been managing the office, then she's qualified as an Office Manager and should present herself that way.  It will open a lot more doors and put her in a better position.

OP, the first thing you should do, obviously, is find out exactly what this man's retirement means for you.  (I suspect you already have this information.)  Then, give yourself a little time to just breathe and take it all in.  It will work out - You just need to go one step at a time. 

Apply for unemployment benefits if that's appropriate in this case, and then put the word out to everyone you know that you're available for a new opportunity.  Really tell everyone because you never know where a lead will come from, and people like to hire people with a connection to someone they already know.  There's a lot of information available online re resumes, job search, and all of that, so take your time and read through some of it.  Think about what you want to do - The same as what you've been doing?  Maybe something different?

Don't sell yourself short.  Women your age are valuable.  You not only bring your wisdom and experience, but you're also more reliable than a younger woman who may get pregnant and leave or who may need time off to take care of her kids when they're sick, etc.  Present yourself as rock solid, super work ethic, 100% reliable, etc.  Your longevity with one company will look impressive too.  Get a letter of reference from your current boss - I bet it will be glowing!

So yes (and I'm sorry I've gone on so long), this seems like a scary time.  But you never know what awaits you, and you may end up loving the next chapter.  I wish you luck!

Respected Contributor

update resume and get on linkin, so many found jobs on linkin. I will say the ones in their 20's are job hoppers, my daughter is 30yrs still in ins. company but so many leave so fast & most don't want to train them because in 2-3yrs they leave. In fact they just hired a person in their 50's from linkin with all her experience knowing she will not leave soon. A lot of companies are fed up with these kids job hopping and rather have a mature person. Linkin will get your resume & match you up they know what companies are looking for and will suggest where to apply you choose what you want. There is no job loyality anymore. 

Respected Contributor

also linkin is free no cost to you

Trusted Contributor

HeartHeartHeart

To answer the question...yes the doors are shutting so there is no possible way to stay on.

I have written down all of your wonderful suggestions. You women are filled with wonderful information.   I am going to take the next week to just breath a bit, absorb, and get a grip as they say.  I realize my situation is not very unique, and happens often.  I know things could be much worse.  I was in major panic yesterday, and still am, so my post may have seemed a bit over the top for some, and I am sorry for that.  But unfortunately that is my personality...panic.  I am a rock star when it comes to helping others with there problems, but when it comes to me, I freeze !

Anyways....I thank you from the bottom of my heartHeart for each and every kind , helpful word that you have given to me.

I will take your suggestions with me as I begin this next step in this journey of my life. You are all brilliant and special.

Thank you again soooooo very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heart

Honored Contributor

Heart Heart Heart Heart to you, too, @Skididdy

I agree with @sissel that Linkedin is useful.  I have the barest minimum on there, as I'm not even looking, and I get updates all the time.  

https://www.linkedin DOT com/

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

What about taking over the business yourself ? Might be exciting and you are experienced there and know it well. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

You are in shock.  Don't make any decisions for a few days, you need time for this to sink in.  Good Luck !

Respected Contributor

@sissel wrote:

also linkin is free no cost to you

You mean Linkedin?........ 😳 (Careful) 

-Do Not Copy Pls-