Honored Contributor

Re: In a dilemma, need some advice from friends

Extended Stay America takes pets.  I am sure most will, especially a cat.

You may need to pay a "pet fee" but it will be worth it.

Plus, you can also pay for periodic housekeeping at Extended Stay ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

I would definitely not stay where your at...my pet would be my first priority...if you can’t take her with you to an extended stay, have her boarded.  You may want to look into a vacation home to rent, this time of year they may rent on a monthly basis. We’ve had good luck with VRBO...some take pets as well. Good luck😀

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

My friend was in a similar situation.She stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn .It worked out fine for her.They allow pets.

Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

As other people suggested there are Extended Stay hotels. But also not too far from our house, there is a large apartment complex. It also has apartments that are shorter leases, month by month. The apartment complex works with companies that have employees transferring. One guy I worked with, lived there. He was from the Mid-West (I live outside Philadelphia) and stayed there until he found a house. 

I took a tour of his apartment and the complex and it was really nice. It has an activity center, gym, pool all kinds of amenities.

There is no way I would want to stay in a place with unknown people passing through. Also I don't think that your landlord having access at all times will work out well.

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose 

A concern with taking a pet to an extended stay is that housekeeping comes in daily and may let the pet out, of course you could crate a cat, and put a notice on the door “do not let the cat out.”  Or you could lock the crate.

We have done that.  Stayed in one for six weeks.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I agree with what @VaBelle35 said....

Esteemed Contributor

I have a roomie now who's in a similar situation. He got a new job in my area 3 months ago (southern Calif) - his wife and 2 small sons and a small dog - are staying with her parents in Ohio. They bought a brand new house in my area which should be ready April or May. I just posted an ad on nextdoor dot com - asking if anyone has 1 or 2 rooms in their house; a large studio or duplex. He only needs 2-1/2 to 3 months. Posting an ad on nextdoor is a great way to find a place --- or if u can afford corporate housing, that should work for u. I'd move out of the rental that ur in now.

I also suggest placing an ad on Craigslist under Rooms Wanted --- I've used this site for myself and friends/neighbors for 16 yrs - all GREAT experiences. You do have to google these people's names, addresses - ask about their jobs, etc. There are many great situations out there.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@mintedrose 

A concern with taking a pet to an extended stay is that housekeeping comes in daily and may let the pet out, of course you could crate a cat, and put a notice on the door “do not let the cat out.”  Or you could lock the crate.

We have done that.  Stayed in one for six weeks.

With extended-stay type places, you control housekeeping.  It's a little different than staying in a hotel.

With Extended Stay and Marriott Residence Inns, you let them know if you want housekeeping.

I stay at Residence Inns for work a lot and I decline housekeeping unless I am staying more than 4 nights.  And then I have them come in after the 2nd day to change towels and vacuum, etc.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

For me, this one is easy; stay together and move.   Regardless of what arrangement you work out with the owners, you are not going to be satisfied in the long run.   Once the workers start on the house project, the chances for something to get broken, or come up missing is inevitable, and your cat will not be happy in a cage with inside construction going on.  

Honored Contributor

To me, staying put doesn't sound like an option. I'd pursue one of the suggestions made here for alternative housing or, personally, I'd probably choose option three, which is to make the move and set up house with your husband following when he can. If the distance isn't prohibitive the two of you can grab occasional weekends and short visits together.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...