Valued Contributor

In a dilemma, need some advice from friends

[ Edited ]

We are planning to move out of state in June. We are currently renting and our lease which expires at the end of feburary. We were hoping to be moved by March but its not possible due to dh work situation. We need a place just for 3-4 months. We've asked the landlords if we can stay until June and are willing to pay more per month but they have not been the nicest to deal with, they wanna put the house for sale and want us out which is understandable. Theyve said that we can stay until end of april but they will be doing work on the house and would need access at all times. Im not really comfortable with them coming through our house with other people without us being here since we will be traveling back and forth next few months. I have had personal items missing in a situation like this before and i really dont like someone here in my absence. I also have a cat whom i cant leave on her own with people coming in and out. 

So, i need some advice on what to do.

Options 1: Do we move again somewhere around here in a townhouse/apartment for another 3 months which is hard to find since in most places the shortest lease in 6 months.

Option 2: Or do we stay here till end of April with the headache of strangers coming through anytime with our personal belongings here and then I move all our stuff out in may and then husband would have to stay in a hotel for a month.

Option 3: Or do i look for a place out of state and move out there in March and dh can live in a extended hotel for 3 months or so?

Im not sure what to do. Id love some advice. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: In a dilemma, need some advice from friends

I would put all of your stuff in storage, like a Door to Store type of cube.

Then move into an Extended Stay America-type of place.  You can probably negotiate the rate for a longer term stay.

I would put my privacy ahead of staying put.  You will basically have to store most of your stuff anyway while the landlord's contractors are working.  If they are doing new flooring or painting and stuff, you will have to pack everything up anyway.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

This sounds like a terrible dilemma.  You can't really stay there, though, unless you board your cat or make other arrangements for her.  What about a hotel that you rent week to week?  I think they're called extended stay.  Since it's for such a short time I don't think it would be possible to find an apartment.  Also sometimes you can find Airbnb's that you can rent month to month.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

The owners may make it difficult for you to stay.  Having people come and go at will, making changes or repairs while you are living there could be challenging.

Do you have any family nearby who would help you with a temporary place to stay?  If not, perhaps check with a realtor to find out if there are month to month rentals available.

Hope you find a solution!

Trusted Contributor

If you haven't actually called around and talked to apartment complexes I would do that. A lot of them do offer short term rentals even if it's not on their website. Google corporate rentals in your area. They are usually furnished so you could pack up your stuff and have it in a pod and shipped ahead of your move in June.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What's the situation in your new location? Do you have a home that you're purchasing, or a rental home or apartment that you're planning to move into in March? How far away is the new location? Is this a new job for your husband, or a relocation with the same company and something that he could commute? If there's no way you can make the move on your own for a couple of months, then I think the suggestion that you put your things in storage and move into an extended stay "hotel" with your cat is the best alternative for a couple of months. My ex and I lived in one those places for a month when we moved, and it was a good experience. It was fully furnished so we didn't have to worry about needing a thing - and they accepted our cat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I would put all of your stuff in storage, like a Door to Store type of cube.

Then move into an Extended Stay America-type of place.  You can probably negotiate the rate for a longer term stay.

I would put my privacy ahead of staying put.  You will basically have to store most of your stuff anyway while the landlord's contractors are working.  If they are doing new flooring or painting and stuff, you will have to pack everything up anyway.

@VaBelle35,  That's exactly what I'd recommend.   In fact, that's what I did a couple of times when moving from state to state, and it worked well.    Best of luck to you, @mintedrose, whatever you choose!    Remember, it will all be just a memory before long and you'll be in your new home making new memories.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@mintedrose 

Sorry for your dilemma.

Twice we have been forced by circumstances beyond our control to allow workmen to come into the property we were renting.  Despite our best efforts, HUGE SIGNS, locked rooms, cages, multiple pleading conversations, etc. both times one of our animals was let out and was missing, but Thankfully found after much time, and anguish.  

I could NOT live through that again.  I trust no one with the welfare of my animals.  

I would do as others have suggested, pack my belongings, board my pets, and stay in a weekly, monthly rental suite.

Best wishes with your relocation.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't stay in the current rental.  Hotels with kitchens are pretty common.  I've stayed in them for work.  You may find a six month rental cheaper though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with another poster. Put everything you can into storage and find an extended stay hotel.

When I travel back home to So. Cal. I stay at a Marriott Residence Inn  and love it. Have done it for 10 years.

I LOVE Marriott as they are non-smoking properties and people can only smoke in certain areas and do allow pets.

Very convenient and I don't have to lift a finger except to pick up after myself a bit!