Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Important lessons that only age can bring....

I find getting older you appreciate life more. I look back and so many of my family and friends are gone. My husband also. I am an only child so more alone. Of course I don't have the glowing skin anymore or the long blonde hair and a great figure, I do have the great experience of life. To raise little babies into lovely children. My grandchildren. To accept a new kind of world we live in now. Some good and some bad. To accept myself getting old and to accept differences I can not control. I've learned to say no. I accept no drama in life . If I wake up and scare myself in the mirror thinking is that me? Oh well! I lived a live of struggle ,sadness,loss of many but you can't give up you got to keep going. This was my motto in life. I realize it's not just me it is so many other people out there just like myself. I'm proud I survived life what more can I ask.
To be thankful!
Respected Contributor

I am struggling mightily to compose this.  You see, I have a deep faith and trust in God, and am finding it nearly impossible to tell you what life has taught me without bringing faith into the thread.  (Freedom of speech is precious and I feel we're losing a little more of it every day lately.)

....thinking ...

• I am not in charge and everything will be as it should.
  • Our bodies and souls believe our thoughts and words.  We can be as miserable as we choose.
  • Be grateful.
  • If it won't matter twenty years from now, it doesn't matter.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@keeper of the koi wrote:

I was reflecting upon the past year .I have a birthday in aug . I will be 52. This is my list I have composed of things only age can teach you: I would be interested in your thoughts as well..

Some people truly enjoy being miserable

Not everyone who smiles to your face  has your best interests

Everyone is so busy worring about their looks , they aren't fixated on yours

It's OK to say no and mean it

Having a loving  significant other is what  makes life worth living

The only person I really need to  answer to is my self and of Course God

Perfection is useless,those Inperfections make things special

I have tons of acquaintances, few true friends

Life is complicated ,exciting ,heartbreaking, and also the most joyous  you make it!

What have you learned?  Maryanne

You said it all!

Esteemed Contributor

What have I learned with adding years?

Live every day like it could be your last.

Let those you love hear you say that to them often.

Never take your health or happiness for granted.

Do not allow yourself to worry about "what might be's"

No matter what life places in your way? Never say: "why me"?

I have many more years of life than the OP and much more I could say, but won't.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

hckynutjohn wrote in part: 

No matter what life places in your way? Never say: "why me"?" 

I especially like this one because I've never heard someone who's received a blessing ask, "Why me?"  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

Tragedy know no age.  Live each day as though it is your last so you will be certain which gates your soul will enter.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love all you have posted, Adore  The hard times are where the real lessons of life are taught and hopefully learned. The knowledge of how short this life actually is when compared to the eternity of the one to come makes a wise man prepare,   "Wise men still seek Him".

Contributor

That we all bleed the same color.  That, no matter our race, ethnicity, color (be it purple, pink polka dots, or oragne stripes) we all pretty much want the same things: ;love,  happiness and a better life for our children.

Frequent Contributor

I am  so very honored that  all of you have taken the time  to post such heartfelt responses. I am enjoying  your lessons you have learned. I find it can be very  interesting to challenge ourselves and look within.  Again thank you so much. I look forward to posting with you  again! Maryanne

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

That certain things really don't matter.

Live one day at a time.

Sorry, I can't get that spolier thingy off my post.Cat Mad