Frequent Contributor

Important lessons that only age can bring....

I was reflecting upon the past year .I have a birthday in aug . I will be 52. This is my list I have composed of things only age can teach you: I would be interested in your thoughts as well..

Some people truly enjoy being miserable

Not everyone who smiles to your face  has your best interests

Everyone is so busy worring about their looks , they aren't fixated on yours

It's OK to say no and mean it

Having a loving  significant other is what  makes life worth living

The only person I really need to  answer to is my self and of Course God

Perfection is useless,those Inperfections make things special

I have tons of acquaintances, few true friends

Life is complicated ,exciting ,heartbreaking, and also the most joyous  you make it!

What have you learned?  Maryanne

Trusted Contributor

Re: Important lessons that only age can bring....

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Love one another..you never know when someone will be taken away from you!

Don't envy anyone too strongly..everyone is fighting some kind of uphill battle!

Love God, family, country!

Honored Contributor

I agree completely--well almost!  I feel like I answer to the people I love, as they answer to me.  To me, that is what makes them loved ones. . . It goes both ways!  But other people?  Yes, I'm not obligated to answer to them.

Don't make people a priority in your life if you are only an option in theirs.  Sort of the same thing I said above I suppose!  It took me way too long to figure that out. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I agree completely--well almost!  I feel like I answer to the people I love, as they answer to me.  To me, that is what makes them loved ones. . . It goes both ways!  But other people?  Yes, I'm not obligated to answer to them.

Don't make people a priority in your life if you are only an option in theirs.  Sort of the same thing I said above I suppose!  It took me way too long to figure that out. 

So true, sigh.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

I just turned 48 last week and there are 3 things have have stuck out for me over the last 3 years or so.

Having had varying levels of household income throughout my adult life I know that having a lot of disposal cash can buy lots of things...but not necessarily happiness.

It's none of my business what others think of me.

Family is an interesting and sometimes wonderful accident of birth.  That said, you can love your family members, but you don't have to like them, and you certainly don't have to force a friendship with them.

Honored Contributor

I stay away from negative people..they are very unhappy!!!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What my journey through Earthly life, and my numerous grief journeys, have so far taught me.

Never to sweat the small insignificant stuff.

Be happy with what you have, and have achieved in life, but always remember there are less fortunate people roaming the streets, so we must all help as best as we can.

I always accepted aging gracefully and naturally, but others have not, and many people still need to help themselves as best as they can which is fine, but no one lives and looks young forever.

"We are all imperfect human beings, and need to accept that with all our Earthly frailties as well".

All human beings imperfect as we are must accept and realize when we pass through that invisible doorway and exit from our Earthly life, the only things that mean the world to us and our loved ones we leave behind, is our love for each other.

We take only that love and our treasured memories with us, as they are embedded into our souls.

Those who believe in eternal life know if we again accept Christ into our hearts as our Savior he promises us a reunion with all our departed love ones throughout eternity. Many believe that is the best gift he can bestow upon us.

Everything else remains behind, therefore the moral is do not sweat the small stuff, accept aging and do what you can within reason, but realizing no amount of cosmetic surgeries or creams, and the like can keep us remaining more youthful looking, and alive indefinitely.

Appreciate and love your loved ones and true friends, since all we get is the present, and we are never promised a tomorrow. (The present is a present from God).

Losing all my large immediate family and all U.S. relatives, and now being the last survivor, has taught me all of this.

From the moment we take our 1st breath of life and are born, from then on every second that passes we begin to slowly die, since Father Time marches on to the beat of his own drum.

Every beat from Father Time represents a second of our time on earth lost.

If all human beings can realize that, then they may be able to fully enjoy whatever time is left with those we still have to love on Earth.

Every second does count especially with your loved ones and friends, so while you all can enjoy them all understand that gift is the most wonderful gift we can all get.

The basic truth is nothing else here on this temporary Earth really matters other than what I have posted above.............and that is what my Earthly life and numerous painful heart wrenching grief journeys, have taught me.

Like they say "Live and Learn".....and "It is better late, than never", and these sayings are also all so very true.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You wouldn't worry so much about what other people think of you if you knew how seldom they do.

Vulgarity is no substitute for wit.

What the caterpillar thinks is the end . . the butterfly knows is only the beginning.

Be careful when you follow the Masses. Sometimes the M drops off.

Loose lips sink (relation) ships.

Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they have.

Never make someone a priority in your life when you're only an option in theirs.

Live so that aif someone speaks ill of you, no one will believe them.

A bear, no matter how he tries, grows chubby with no exercise. Winnie the Pooh

Esteemed Contributor

After having had cancer twice, I learned not to sweat the small stuff. I do not recommend having cancer to learn important life lessons but at 68, I am grateful for the lessons I learned after going through rough times in 2001 and 2008. If a problem has a solution, be grateful. Anything that is not fatal should not be stressed over.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
I mostly agree with you (keeper of the koi). The only one I somewhat disagree with is a significant other making life worthwhile. I have a spouse and love him, but people will always disappoint; so we have to find our joy in many things as well as our spouse.
I have found that getting older is not such a bad thing - we are more accepting of disappointments, more grateful for the good times, and more patient with everyone and everything that comes our way. I enjoyed this interesting post you started.