Honored Contributor

Re: If you were ever a smoker

I was on an airplane on my way to a vacation when the pilot said we'd be landing so to finish cigarettes.  Remember those days?  The idea of quitting flashed thru my head and I never smoked another.

My parents picked me up from the airport and on the way home, Dad asked why I wasn't smoking.  I told him I'd quit.  He asked when and I said "about forty five minutes ago".

I think being on vacay and a different routine, away from smokers really helped me abstain.  I'd never tried quitting before.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@colover wrote:

I quit on my 30th birthday, cold turkey. I told myself I'd quit at age 30 or when I became pregnant. Needless to say 30 came first. That was 29 years ago and I still miss it. I miss it after a good dinner, talking on the phone (yes I still like talking in the phone), when I'm stressed, etc. I know myself well enough to know if I took 1 drag I'd be back smoking regularly. . . congrats to all of us who have quit!

@colover ...You are absolutely correct in saying that if you took one drag on a cigarette after having quit, you would be back to smoking regularly.  That's what they do to you, good for you for not giving in, you saved your life.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I started at 16, and smoked through college.  After that, just a casual smoker  ( maybe a pack a week) until my early 30s.  I'm 71 now, and hate that my medical chart says FORMER SMOKER.

@mac116 ...Don't kick yourself because your medical chart says "former smoker" better that than "smoker"!

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@ollie5 

I quit when I was 30. Took up running and my mind kicked in: "if you feel this bad now, how will I feel when I get older"?  Quit cold turkey!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@ollie5 wrote:

I give you ladies a lot of credit! I m 63 and still smoking, I know I need to quit but just can t find it in me!

You lovely ladies give me some incentive! Let a hope!

@ollie5 

A'hem! Here's some incentive from this guy! Quit saying "I can't", for starters. Until you seriously want to quit and say "I can"?  You will be fighting a much steeper uphill battle.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I think I was in my early 60s when I quit.
Respected Contributor

I smoked from age 19 to age 30.  I smoked two packs a day.  Even though I only smoked about 10 years I have lung problems.  Worst thing I ever did.

Valued Contributor

I "experimented" with smoking off and on from the time I was 12. Became a regular smoker in my 20s and quit Christmas eve 2012 at the age of 44. I just turned 52. I'll be honest, I do infrequently think "a cigarette would be good right about now" but that thought usually passes in just a few minutes. I, too, am one of those smokers that cant stand the smell. Everytime a smoker walks past me in the store all i can think is "ugghhh, i cant believe i used to smell like that"!
Honored Contributor

I quit cold turkey, just about a year before my daughter got married.

She was here one day and we were talking about wedding dresses.  She said to me she didn't know where she would leave it once it was ready.

They were already living together and she didn't want to bring it to their home and her friends have pets she didn't want near the dress.

When I said to her bring it here she told me she didn't want it smelling like smoke.  That was it for me, 12/6/2018.

Honored Contributor

I smoked in my teens through mid twenties when I quit cold turkey at 26.  I wanted to quit and what helped was getting a bad sore throat.  It was so painful that for the first day of that sore throat I just couldn't smoke...the same for the next day and following few days. 

Each day after that I would just take it one day at a time.  I did have a few very minor lapses over the next few years but it's been more than 30 years since I've had one and I can't remember how long since I've had the desire for a smoke.