Respected Contributor

Re: If you could spend one whole year....

This is a tough question. I have to give two answers:

The professional me would take that year to just focus on research without having to worry about anything else. All bills paid, exquisite food delivered, house cleaned, laundry done etc. All my time devoted to research with no other obligations or distractions.

The other me would dedicate myself to traveling and getting to know how people live all over the world. I would take my DH with me and we would learn new languages, explore different cuisines and 'see' the world. It would be a fully immersive experience of living opposed to visiting countries or places. Then whichever place we liked best, we would move there permanently whenever we could.

I wouldn't focus on acquiring material things but rather try to accumulate lived experiences to enrich my life and my understanding of it.

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

Invite someone who may like or need a change to stay in my home for a year while I lived on the coast for a year. The coast would be my base home and I'd travel about at will. Invite a few people to visit that I'd miss - but limit guest stays to five nights. Be active, get out in nature, work on conditioning. Bring my best friend - husband. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Go on a few short trips & not have to worry about money. I already do most of what I really want. Retirement is wonderful, just wish my finances were a little better.

Honored Contributor

Swimming and staying with dolphinsSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Neither I, nor DH could do it now, but since this is a pretend question, I would say, if I had a year to do what I wanted, I would want to travel all over.  No set plan.  Just go wherever DH and I wanted and stay for how many days we wanted.  I love to be near the ocean so a lot of the traveling would have to include places near the beach.  Also, DH and I would love to take different train trips.  Nothing would be hurried or planned.  Eat lovely food, drink lovely drinks, and enjoy beautiful scenery!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I want them at Disneyland with a functioning back and legs.  My dream.  Dog will be on my back in a papoose.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Like others stated - I'm doing it now!  I do what I want every day.  Now that I'm retired, being with my SO and pets, working out, doing things I like, reading, cooking only when I want, enjoying the summer sun.  Well that is the good life for me.  I've never felt the need to travel since I hate to pack and disrupt my calm life.

Esteemed Contributor

I would want to divide my time between Avalon in the New Jersey Shore and Italy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Live in one of the reclaimed stone town homes in my favorite city on the S. Eastern coast of Italy.  Shop in the local market each day for fresh food, take my empty wine bottle to the local store to be refilled with the vino of the day, attend local festivals, and grow herbs & flowers in large terracotta pots on the terrace.

DH & and fur babies welcome!

*** Guess it’s obvious I’ve given this a great deal of thought.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I would spend the year touring France.