Respected Contributor

Re: If you are missing your mother today...

@StylishLady   What a lovely family picture.  Your are not the only "stylish lady" in your family, all of them are very "stylish" and good looking.  I'm sure you treasure that picture.  What a good reminder to everyone to have pictures taken when everyone gets together.  

Your Mom raised a good looking group and to raise 6 kids!  She must have been a true gem. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Regular Contributor

Tweety, thank you for the picture.  Lilacs were my mother's favorite flowers and every Mother's Day I put a bouquet on her grave.  This year was bouquet #56.Smiley Sad Heart

Super Contributor

I lost my Mom in March of 2010.  Although we were kind of close I wish it could have been different.  She had 9 kids and I was the second to the oldest and the oldest girl, too.  Life was not easy for us but I was the one there for her upon her passing from this life.  My Dad had already passed many years before.

Honored Contributor

I missed my Mom today. Also, my DH.  Both of them would love to see our daughters and grandaughters growing up.  My Mom passed before becoming a great-grandma.  My DH only had a few years with our granddaughters.      I'm thankful for being with my daughters and granddaughters today.   They made it a lovely day, but we always miss those no longer with us.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

My Mom passed away in 2009.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and miss her.  Holidays are the times I miss her the most.  

I lost my mom in 2006..seems like forever...its hard I know! I spent the day with one of my sons', he misses her too. the twins were only 13 when she died..my oldest was 17.

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I lost my mom in 2003. For some reason this Mother's Day hit me very hard. I thought of her all day with a few shed tears. There is just so much I want to share with her. We were so close and I miss the heck out of talking with her. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tweety68 

I adore lilacs, and so did my mother.  She had three huge bushes that she would take branches from.  The smell is like no other.  I haven't smelled their scent in a long time.

@Equuleus 

While my relationship with my was not the same as you had with yours, it was not as nurturing and loving as I would have wanted.

Nevertheless, I found peace in the years following her death.  Like you, I've done therapy and tried to come to terms with what was missing.

There came a time when I just resolved to believe she did the best she could with what she had emotionally.

After that, I found a calm in my relationship with her.  It's not perfect, but I was able to let go of much of the negativity.  

Your loss is fresh, and you need time to work through the emotions.

Not saying this will be your path, but it was mine and it has helped let the happy times shine through.

Respected Contributor

beautiful flowers! i missed my Mom so much yesterday. i miss her every day but most of all on Mothers day and Birthdays and Holidays.  I cried reading the Mothers day things everyone was sharing on FB!

Honored Contributor

This is just a suggestion:  Have someone take a picture of your mom's, &/or your dad's hands, with yours.  It's a keepsake that I wish I had.  I would love that.

Kind of like they use to take a picture of the bride and groom's hands and rings for their wedding books.  

This is in hind-sight for me, and I wanted to suggest it for those of you who still have time to do this.  My folk's at the end were very ill.  A picture of them, I have, but the hands wouldn't show that.  Seems that once upon a time, there was such a picture, with a verse that went with it.  I wish I'd remembered that sooner, but I didn't, so I wanted to mention it now.  Just a suggestion.  

Esteemed Contributor

Lilacs were my Mother's favorite flowers. Thank you @Tweety68 .

Trees are the lungs of the Earth