Respected Contributor

@Boomernichols , that happened to me a couple years ago. 2 weeks before Christmas, my water heater went. 2 weeks later on Christmas Eve morning, my furnance went. He put a bandage on it and it was okay till 2 days after Christmas then it went again. Since it was so old, of course, the old AC unit also needed replacing. Then, of course, after all that expense, 2 weeks later my car and home owners insurance was due. 

Honored Contributor

And it's never the cheap things that decide to gang up on you all at once.

Earlier this year it was our washing machine and small chest freezer, after we frivolously spent money on a new kitchen countertop and bedroom carpeting!.

Esteemed Contributor

It does seem like this is just the way it goes sometimes. Hopefully, you will have no more problems.

Respected Contributor

I agree with Hckynut-- I never think of household appliances wearing out as bad luck-it is just what happens to them eventually. We have to take control of all situations and face them, not depend on "luck."

I know hot water heaters usually do not make it more than 15 years.

Of course, they do not build them like they used to --my grandmother's fridge from the 40's NEVER quit, my fridge is almost 40 years old, my washing machine is 35 and on last legs but is still hanging in, and my car is 22 years old.  We keep repairing them until they completely die.

My 15 year old cat who has survived radioactive therapy for hyperthyoidism just had his first chemotherapy treatment for cancer-- it is GOOD LUCK that his blood levels are holding strong and I am praying that he makes a remission.

It is Good Luck DH and I can work from home and be with him, to help baby him and take him to vet appointments.

It is Good Luck we have such powerful and advanced medicines that can save a cat from cancer and help us all fight off viruses like Covid.

I am trying not to sweat any small stuff.

Respected Contributor

We always keep a backup coffee pot stored away. We just broke out a new one so time to order a new backup!

Honored Contributor

I'm not particularly supersticious but if all that happened to me, I'd start to wonder.  The coffee is the worst, I cannot live without that first cup of coffee in the morning.  I'm thinking about the expense of having to replace those appliance at te same time.  Good grief.  

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols, I feel  your pain.  Last Dec.. I had to replace my hot water heater, in Jan. I had to replace my water softener, and in Feb. I had to replace my washer/dryer.

Honored Contributor

To John: Really enjoyed your treatise on luck. Here is another example; Many years ago a relative and myself were in the position financially. I bought a car and she told me I was lucky to have a "good" car. Now luck had very little to do w/it. I researched the car (before internet) and finally settled on the one I did. Years later after 200,000 miles I sold the car. I was very very careful about maintance, tires,etc. When I met my hubby he was VERY impressed about the care it received and my belief that you keep a car forever.

Enjoy your notes. Keep up the good work. 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

If it weren't for NY State's early voting week, I would have had a better day. There was one small sign showing where the polling place was. After driving around, I finally found the place and then saw the crowds...hundreds of people waiting in the rain. I kept on going. I'll try again mid-week, mid-morning, but I may wind up voting the old fashioned way on Nov. 3. Our county has only two early voting locations. There's one place located in my small city but we got a warning of demonstrations downtown so most are staying away.I am angry because voting should be easy, regardless of one's politics.

@Vivian, there is no excuse for your city not to handle any demonstrations near a polling place.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Actually when our Keurig bit the dust it was a good thing. We hauled out the old coffee machine and attached it to a timer and when we get up our coffee is ready to go.

@Group 5 minus 1   So funny that we have the opposite situation going. Our Keurig is put away under the counter w/ the pods in the freezer just in case our coffee maker goes on the fritz.