Respected Contributor

If it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all.  2020 has been a doozy on my homefront.  So far, the old addage of bad luck happens in threes has lived up to its reputation.  Our deep freezer quit, the bearings went out in my washing machine, then the hot water heater bit the dust.  I thought all was now well with the world at my house  and got up this morning and the coffee pot has died.  NO COFFEE makes for a grumpy girl and how is your Saturday?  Have a good weekend as I am now off to buy a coffee pot!

Honored Contributor

That is really a lot of things to , have to buy.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I predict an upward turn of events for you......so, while you are out looking for the coffee pot, you should also buy yourself a gift.   (It sounds like you NEED one.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

When it rains it pours. It seems like items like that go out at the same time!  I have both a Keurig and a coffeemaker so that way there is always coffee. I actually have another spare coffeemaker as have been known to break the pot as well. Hope all goes well from now on.

Respected Contributor

It seems like that is how it always goes. The domino effect. I guess the only way to put a positive spin on stuff like this is that now you should be good for several years since you have all this stuff replaced. Sorry this all happened to you though.

Honored Contributor

Re: If it weren't for

[ Edited ]

@Boomernichols 

Never one that followed the "luck" thing. Might be partially because of my co-workers and others comments. I was single till I was 62. I worked night shifts during all the years of my 20's.

They "had" to work overtime on weekends, not really, they had the same choice as I did. Why would I, in my 20's want to also work 4-midnight 6 nights, when my social life during the week is practically nil?

When I turned down OT, it was because "I was lucky I was single. I ran a lot of miles each week along with ice skating. I was slim, they were not, why? Because their wife always made good food, and me? I was slim because I wasn't tempted to eat because I wasn't married. 

Go to my spa to workout 3 days a week, along with running and skating. In the steam room some always saying "I wish I was lucky like you not having to worry about getting fat", huh?

Pretty much the same for my recoveries from my many serious health issues, I was "lucky" I recovered so well. No mention of my hours spent working on regaining my health and physical fitness, just "lucky".

As for the "bad luck(?)happens in threes"? Never gave it any thought. Between 2002-2016 the combination of myself or my wife being in the hospital for weeks at least once every one of those years, no way to count.

During hospitalizations our finished basement, Gym/Video Entertainment Room, being flooded. Once with water the other time with sewage, congruent both times during my long term hospitalizations.

So much so often I wouldn't know if it happened in pairs/threes/fours, or higher. Anytime I see the word if preceding a sentence my mind goes to what if. To me that belongs with past tense "shoulda/woulda/coulda", 20/20 hindsight.

Now in your case @Boomernichols when it is all some sort of mechanical or electrical breakdowns. Over close to 10 months of 2020 gone, and assuming they didn't quit in 3 days, doesn't seem too bad to me. Luck or just plain worn out or faulty appliances.

To me luck is just a word that means very little. Guess I am not one that classifies things going on in my life as pertaining to luck. Some things that happen, both good and bad, I can usually trace it back to a decision I made at some point along the way.

Hey, I am back doing what I love, ice skating, life is great. Now if I can just be lucky enough not to fall! WHOOPEE.....

Think my balance will have more to do with it than luck, but life is great!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@Boomernichols I just wanted to share that I have had similiar luck this last few months with appliances, BUT years ago someone turned me onto one of these "Home Appliance/Systems Insurance" companies. I pay about $70. a month, but if anything stops operating or completely becomes unrepairable, my company comes out and fixes it or replaces it. My air conditioning unit stopped working. Turned out it needed a $2000. part, which I did not have to pay for!! Then my refrigerator stopped working and they came out- long story short, another $500. part at their expense. In my old house they had to replace a whole air conditioning system which would have cost me $4000. So my point is these companies have really worked out for me. Some are better than others- check their reviews on the internet. They are really worth it!!

Esteemed Contributor

If it weren't for NY State's early voting week, I would have had a better day. There was one small sign showing where the polling place was. After driving around, I finally found the place and then saw the crowds...hundreds of people waiting in the rain. I kept on going. I'll try again mid-week, mid-morning, but I may wind up voting the old fashioned way on Nov. 3. Our county has only two early voting locations. There's one place located in my small city but we got a warning of demonstrations downtown so most are staying away.I am angry because voting should be easy, regardless of one's politics.

Honored Contributor

Actually when our Keurig bit the dust it was a good thing. We hauled out the old coffee machine and attached it to a timer and when we get up our coffee is ready to go.

Esteemed Contributor

Keep a new spare packed away.  Guarantee you will kiss the box the morning you have to open it.

It is so humiliating to slink into a convenience store at 4:30 AM 😝