Honored Contributor

Re: If You AREN'T A Sports Fan.....

[ Edited ]

I grew up in a house full of brothers and we are Steelers and Pirates fans at our house.We go to a few baseball games each spring and summer and really enjoy them. To attend a Steelers football game in Pittsburgh you have to either have season tickets or a friend with season tickets. Occasionally we get to one. My DH had season tickets to Pitt basketball thru his company so he usually took customers but I'd get to go to 3 or 4 games. I really enjoy basketball.And Nascar races.Though I never have time to sit and watch an entire race, it is on the TV and I watch off & on. DH will call me if there is a wreck or anything exciting.

The one game I am really not at all interested in - and can't sit & watch without falling asleep , is hockey. Dullest thing on earth.Fortunately, DH doesn't like it either. 

When we were in high school my DH wrestled and ran track as well as played football. I would faithfully attend those wrestling matches and races but I really did not enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG 

I am a sports fan, but nothing wrong with those that are not.  I have heard many reasons why some do not like sports, but not liking announcer(s) voices? First time I have heard, that said. Can't imagine what you think about voices of auctioneer's voices! 

Lots of voices I don't like, but since Dish Network dropped MSG(Madison Square Garden)Network about years ago. Almost every New York Rangers (my hockey team), I only get to hear the opponents announcer's voices. It is not so much their voices, more just what they are saying.

Had 2 games my wife and I watched (DVR) this week where I turned the audio off, and just watched the game. Over the years I announced the play by play on several of my adult league hockey games that we recorded. Hockey action is not as easy as say golf or baseball, nothing much happening in them much of the time.

Anyways, I promise you, you would just Love my voice (=^..^=) announcing a hockey play by play, even if you don't understand the game, which many don't, but think they do.

Had to throw something into your thread, and this is what came to mind as I was typing.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'll watch hockey and only hockey! Every other sport, in my estimation, is boring with a capital B. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@Leeny @ECBG I am right there with you ladies feeling your pain, I cannot stand watching sports, thank goodness I love to read, he is in one room watching HIS stuff, I am in another reading a book. SIGH!

Honored Contributor

@hckynut, Thank you so much!  That constant droaning when there was nothing else going on in my grandparent's condo when I was a small child was a constant pain, although, I had my dolls playing on the couch along with my grandmother and years later doing multiplication tables.

I'm sure someone with your humor would have been very much appreciated!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

How would you like to be in a house with all males who live and breath sports. When my son was little he would pretend he was the commentator at golf matches. How would you like to listen to that all day!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

How would you like to be in a house with all males who live and breath sports. When my son was little he would pretend he was the commentator at golf matches. How would you like to listen to that all day!

@blackhole99

Off topic a bit, but following what you added.

Turn the tables 180°. I was born and raised in a Public Housing Projects Apartment for about my first 14 years. It was a 1 bathroom unit, as they all were "back in the day".

All females in that dwelling, 3 of which were older sisters. I could go outside or into another room if I didn't want to be around them. But, come time to use the "facilities"? When ya gotta go, ya gotta go. Did my older sisters care about their little brother johnny? I don't think I need to answer that rhetorical question.

Finally they all married, and I even got my own bedroom? Still only 1 bathroom, but my mom and I handled that just fine.

Just had to get this in after reading about your opposite life growing up with all brothers? Were you also the baby of the family? Answer at your own risk now(=^..^=).

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

OMGosh, I ended up with (one week's vacation) folks who insisted on watching those auto races.  Round and round loud buzzing.  Sounded like a bunch of mosquitos.  Never again.  .............. I'm not a sports fan (too much noise), but I don't mind semi-watching and listening to a golf tournament.  Very soothing, in the scheme of things, sports-wise.  Not that I (myself) look for a tournament, but when nothing else is on, and/or others who follow golf tourneys are watching, I don't mind at all.   Keeping the peace, lol.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@hckynut actually I was talking about my own family in the post, but I did grow up with 2 sisters and a brother and one bathroom, so my brother no doubt had the same experience as you did. I'm the oldest of five , one brother deceased.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut. I also came from a one bathroom family, when we whined about BR time dad would give the speech about growing up in a house of 11 people and one outhouse.